Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-30-2000, 07:36 AM   #1
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Titan Tanks

In reference to the last line of the article: "Do any MO readers own a Titan? Is it a good bike? A good company?" this is the reason they're doing badly, eh? I can't ever remember seeing one on the street, let alone knowing anybody who has one.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2000, 07:39 AM   #2
CBR1000F
Founding Member

What's your reason for not wanting Indian to do well? I'm just wondering if your reasons are the same as mine!
Old 11-30-2000, 07:40 AM   #3
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Oh, and BTW - that's death THROES, not throws.
Old 11-30-2000, 08:14 AM   #4
roadload
Founding Member

Perhaps the market has reached a saturation point for that particular style of motorcycle. My opinion is that they did nothing to distinguish themselves from the other billzillion cruiser models that are available.

Maybe more different take on the crusier genre would have help.To be honest I couldnt, tell you what seperates a Victory, ExcelsiorHenderson, Polaris and Indian.

roadload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 08:36 AM   #5
starvingstudent
Founding Member

They're pretty much all the same bike. Nothing really does separate them. But cruisers don't have to all be the same--I can sure tell you that the Valkyrie, the R1200C, the Magna, and the Royal Star (not road star!) have a bit of uniqueness factor.

UNIQUE BIKES=COMPANY THAT SURVIVES!!!
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 09:22 AM   #6
Don_Crafts
Registered Member

Roadload writes:

<blockquote>couldnt, tell you what seperates a Victory, ExcelsiorHenderson, Polaris and Indian.</blockquote>

That's not completely fair. A Victory, made by Polaris, is a completely new cruiser. Designed from the ground up. As is/was the E-H. Not one part of either bike is shared with a Harley-Davidson. While both bikes look very similar to a Harley to a non-cruiser rider, they are very different to those that do.

On the other hand Titan, Ultra, Indian, Big Dog, et al. are all nothing but Harley clones. Parts bin bikes really. They are powered by Harley Evolution knock-off engines that are stuck in Softail (or hardtail) knock-off frames, then tweaked to beat the band. They are soul-less assemblies of Harley-like parts.

Sure most of them are more extreme, more powerful, more unique than a stock Harley, but they are also more expensive and in 10 years won't be worth squat. Nor will you be able to buy a replacement part.

That being said I'd love to ride a Confederate bike (http://www.confederate.com/) . They at least started with a new sheet of paper when laying out the bike. Only the engine and teardrop tank are copied from Harley. Just ignore the white supremist, "south will rise again" overtones of the founder...

IMHO unique cruisers: Moto Guzzi Jackal, Honda Valkyrie, BMW R1200C (ugly, but unique!)

Don_Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 09:24 AM   #7
Don_Crafts
Registered Member

Roadload writes:

<blockquote>couldnt, tell you what seperates a Victory, ExcelsiorHenderson, Polaris and Indian.</blockquote>

That's not completely fair. A Victory, made by Polaris, is a completely new cruiser. Designed from the ground up. As is/was the E-H. Not one part of either bike is shared with a Harley-Davidson. While both bikes look very similar to a Harley to a non-cruiser rider, they are very different to those that do.

On the other hand Titan, Ultra, Indian, Big Dog, et al. are all nothing but Harley clones. Parts bin bikes really. They are powered by Harley Evolution knock-off engines that are stuck in Softail (or hardtail) knock-off frames, then tweaked to beat the band. They are soul-less assemblies of Harley-like parts.

Sure most of them are more extreme, more powerful, more unique than a stock Harley, but they are also more expensive and in 10 years won't be worth squat. Nor will you be able to buy a replacement part.

That being said I'd love to ride a Confederate bike (http://www.confederate.com/) . They at least started with a new sheet of paper when laying out the bike. Only the engine and teardrop tank are copied from Harley. Just ignore the white supremist, "south will rise again" overtones of the founder...

IMHO unique cruisers: Moto Guzzi Jackal, Honda Valkyrie, BMW R1200C (ugly, but unique!)

Don_Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 09:52 AM   #8
TBones
Founding Member

...not to mention "succeed."

-Tom
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 02:27 PM   #9
Haga
Founding Member

Default Re: ####'S

My only comment here is to the statement that Honda makes 90% of it's own parts. That's flat out not true. What Honda does do is order them in unearthly quantities and get them from companies at an extremely low price. For example, I know for a fact that the CBR line for motorcycles are supplied with footpegs, engine mounts, and other little bits and pieces by a small company in Ohio. Think about what a pair of OEM pegs costs you, and then think about this: Honda buys those pegs for 90 cents apiece and their supplier still makes almost 50 cents a peg for themselves. What's killing these smaller companies is low volume as well as not being as into the industry to know who to get their parts from in the first place.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 04:42 PM   #10
BorntobeMild
Founding Member

Default Titans, Quality, and Victory Bikes

Throughout the postings here there's been a lot made of Titan's lack of build quality: things falling off, electrical problems, etc. Folks that ride day in and day out want to feel a strong sense of confidence that when you go out to the garage, the bike will start, run strong, get you to where you're going, and back; all without difficulties. No one wants to be embarrassed by the side of the road cause their bike crappped out.

What about the Victory bikes by Polaris? I've heard different stories about their quality with snowmobiles... Are their bikes strong and consistent? Do they give that sense of confidence?
BorntobeMild is offline   Reply With Quote