Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-31-2003, 03:49 PM   #1
r1derbike
Founding Member

Default Re: New Mexico claims your organs

This is nothing more than a lame attempt to get rid of the massive "biker" problem in New Mexico...read between the lines!

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...19C25C12&cb=PA
\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
FieryErmine
Founding Member

Absolutely incredible!

I'm sure this has to be unconstitutional in some way.

This bill is not only wrong, but also somewhat diabolical and evil. I know who I'm not voting for in the future...

I don't think that this bill will pass and I'm amazed that anyone would even think that it'd be possible for it to pass. I should think that anyone in the New Mexico congress would have a field day with Alan Hurt. I hope this crap destroys the man's career. Bear in mind, of course that it is LEGAL to ride without a helmet in New Mexico. So for performing a LEGAL activity one relinquishes one's rights to determine what happens to one's own body after death. Why not just say that bodies of motorcyclist should be used as food for the poor.

Robin.

Robin.
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:25 PM   #3
valkmaster
Founding Member

Default It's time for this crap to end

Obviously, Senator Hurt qualifies for the organ donor program since he's already brain dead.
valkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:20 PM   #4
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Thank You, God!

I know I already posted this the other day, but I get to re-post since MO did.

Thank You, God for such fertile satirical raw materiel. I tell ya, you can't make up stuff this good.

First off, if you've ever been to New Mexico, you should it's very difficult to detect any sort of higher brain function in anybody there. That "brain death" thing would be a really tough call in Albequrque, for instance.

But seriously, maybe this will lead to a subdivision of which organs are farmed from the riders of the various motorcycle brands? For instance, if the rider was on a Harley Davidson, you are reasonably certain that you don't want any brain or liver tissue from this donor.

On the other hand, I have a cousin who has a rapidly deteriorating sense of smug self-satisfaction. The first BMW or SV650 owner that gets it will doubtlessly have not died in vain, as my cousin will have the needed organ packed in dry ice, flown across the country, and transplanted into his body so he can once again feel superior about his consumer product choices just like any other healthy American man.

There is a 63-year-old woman in Grosse Point, Michigan who has not clipped a coupon, shopped at Target, or taken extra packets of Sweet-n-lo from her Starbucks for years, due to a battle with thrift-organ cancer that required a partial thriftectomy. The next noble victim who dies unhelmeted in New Mexico, while riding his KLR650 or GS500E will give up his massive, overdeveloped thrift organ so Mrs. Dunleavy may once again annoy her family members with tales of how she saved 50 cents on her purchase of Cool-Whip dessert topping.

And then there is Hakim Schwartz, of Portland, Oregon, who suffers from small testes syndrome, rendering him unable to father children. The next TL1000S rider who tank-slaps himself into oblivion will make sure the Schwartz household will one day resound with the sound of tiny feet.

Rachael Morris of Freemantle, Nebraska is obsessively frugal, unable to enjoy even going to diner at Wendy's and renting a $1 DVD at Blockbuster. But thanks to the new law, as soon as a Ducati owner buys il farmo, (doubtlessly when his $3,000 Marchesisni mags disintegrate at 110 mph) a partial money-wasting organ transplant will enable her to enjoy life and eat out more often.

Senator Hurt's bill will open so many doors to those Americans suffering needlessly. It's not a moment too soon.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:19 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Seeing a bill like this originated by a physician is no surprise. I have relatives in medicine and the overweening arrogance of too many doctors (not all, by all means) is unquestionable. Bikers have already been nicknamed "organ donors" and their rides "murdercycles" by doctors, nurses, prarmedics, etc. Couple that attitude with the tendency of too many doctors to believe themselves one step above God and such Orwellian proposals are inevitable.

However, I have an organ RIGHT HERE that Dr. Hurt can have anytime.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:02 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

It's also LEGAL to smoke, but that doesn't stop the neo-fascists from hounding those that do.

Have you been keeping up with current events? Right now the republicrats are racing to see who can vote for the incredibly fascist and unconstitutional Homeland Security Act the fastest.

I'm sure that New Mexico's legislature is less quick to trash the constitution than say, New York's or Kalifornia's, but disregard for the US constitution has grown to epic proportions amongst legislators, many think it an impediment to their own "superior" beliefs, and I doubt that New Mexico is immune.

Old 02-01-2003, 06:38 AM   #7
Hieu
Founding Member

When did doctors become the bad guys here?

As a physician (currently chief surgical resident) who has asisted in over twenty transplants, and as a bike rider for over 10 years (currently with a 95 VFR750), I'd like to also agree that this bill is preposterous. A patient's or family's most basic right is sovereignty over his own body. Nobody can be forced into being a donor... or into any treatment, really.

We get donors from all sorts of tragedies: stroke, assault, car accidents, whatever. Singling motorcyclist for this treatment is clearly discriminatory.

This law (though I doubt it's going to make it that far) would never survive a court challenge. However, I don't think there's going to be too many volunteers to be the test case!

Having said all that, though, I do have two suggestions. 1) Wear your helmet. Really. 2) Sign you organ donor's card and tell your family. There are a LOT of people out there that need organs.
Hieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:15 AM   #8
newheart
Founding Member

I am an heart-transplant receiptant. I`m eternally greatful that some one gave me the gift of life. I ride ,much to the dismay of my doctors, but to make some one`s organs proptery of the state is wrong. some countries in europe have an implyed consent law, that unless someone says they don`t want their organs donated they will be harvested ,that make much more sence for everyone!!!
newheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:38 AM   #9
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Note to Scotteq: You might have more luck sending your letter to Fox-News. They're not as ultra left-wing as ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN. They'd be more likely to pick up this story. In fact, they have a segment at the end of their 6:00 news with Brit Hume for just this type of story. Good luck!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:11 AM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Default This thing is unconstitutional

But someone will have to challenge it first in court. I am sure it will quickly be ruled unconstitutional. Perhaps the AMA and the ACLU can team with each other on this one. Incredible!
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote