Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-02-2003, 09:08 AM   #21
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: New Mexico claims your organs

Senator Hurt responded to my e-mail in which I called him an arrogant bastard with the following:

Last year in New Mexico $280 million was spent on traumatic brain injury. If this bill gets one biker to wear a helmet and not join that tragic number, it is a good thing. Thanks for your time.

Allan Hurt.

In this response the good senator fails to specify whether this injuries were sustained by people involved in car accidents, roller skating accidents, horse riding accidents, etc.

I smell a rat! It seems to me that Mr. Hurt's intentions are to pass a mandatory helmet law in that state, and he is using brain injuries in general to attain his goals, one can only hope that his proposal gets a resounding defeat!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2003, 03:56 PM   #22
jmeyn
Founding Member

Too late. They're watching you now.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #23
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Food for the poor?

A good idea, in a way... but it smacks of class warfare. It'll never fly until they find a way to privatise it.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:06 PM   #24
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: HURT RESPONDS!

I can't imagine anybody but a republican proposing this type of law.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:11 PM   #25
TheFox
Founding Member

Congrats, I'm not an organ donor and now you know one. This law is simply unconstitutional and thusly should not be accpetable under any circumstance. I hope that you are being facetious.

It's my body, as God created it, and ashes to ashes and dust to dust. Those are my personal beliefs, and New Mexico can take a flying leap.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 PM   #26
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default The Democrat version of the Hurt Ammendment...

Be it enacted that all motorcycles sold in the State of New Mexico will have as standard equipment a Helmet attached to the ignition in such a way the the engine can not start or run until the rider has put on and securely latched said Helmet.

Be it further enacted that any tampering with the Helmet or its attachment that interferes with the function shall be punishable by either a severe tongue-lashing by a Highway Patrolman or 23 years in jail, depending on the offender's attitude.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:20 PM   #27
jmeyn
Founding Member

Just about this time last year, a prominant Tucson heart surgeon was killed in a low-speed accident on his new Harley (a Chrismas gift from his wife) -- wasn't wearing a helmet. I didn't know him but I did get stuck in the resulting traffic jam.

Wonderful writing. That's so damn sad.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:44 PM   #28
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: HURT RESPONDS!

"He said they spent $280 million on brain injuries. Now ask the double speaking liar how much of that was spent on unhelmeted bikers, and show you the documentation."

I asked him exactly that Longride. Here was his response:

"Believe it or not, I'm close to Libertarian on freedom issues. I support conceal/carry. Last year, I got a law passed that says if you're speeding on a rural New Mexico highway but otherwise driving safely, no points go on your driver's license. SB 239 is in my opinion all about freedom and responsiblity. I prefer not to tell people to wear helmets but instead to encourage them to choose to do so. The bill makes you look right in the eyes of the consequences you may bring on yourself and those who love and depend on you if you ride without head protection. The liberal approach is to ignore this consideration, go out and successfully commit unaggravated assault and battery on your own brain, then expect others to pick up the tab after you mess up."

He admits it is a back-door helmet law. This type of legislation flys in the face of what libertarians are all about. He wants to protect us from ourselves.

I don't think I'll write him back. I should have included my emails to him as well, you all would have enjoy them.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:50 PM   #29
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Amendment

Longride, you and I must share a brain (at least on this issue). I also wrote him exactly what you've just stated. Ironically, The Patriot is on TV right now. It is exactly this type of brain-dead legislation that the founders of this country sought to escape; and with the bill of rights and constitution, prevent from ever occuring here. They must be rolling in their graves!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:05 PM   #30
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Make that two.