Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-01-2003, 10:28 AM   #11
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: New Mexico claims your organs

There is a reason motorcycles are referred to as "Donorcycles" in all the ER's I've worked. Stupid law, though, and in reality, if you're found brain-dead from a motorcycle crash, chances are fair that your heart/lungs/liver/kidneys etc will be too bruised up to use for transplantation, but bone marrow (if it isn't all over the road) and corneas (if your eyes weren't smashed out of their sockets) could still be useable. Cycle wrecks are hideous, gory, bloody messes. I did get a "I gave the gift of sight" pin from referring a deceased motorcyclist to the cornea recovering people. Yeah for me.. I hope I never get another.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

I work for a hospital (I'm the CFO) and while I do get some good natured ribbing about being an organ donor, many of the doctors I know do ride, as do the Hospital CEO and the head of personnel (both women).

Just about this time last year, a prominant Tucson heart surgeon was killed in a low-speed accident on his new Harley (a Chrismas gift from his wife) -- wasn't wearing a helmet. I didn't know him but I did get stuck in the resulting traffic jam.

I absolutely agree with your suggestions.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:15 AM   #13
obandoj
Founding Member

I am so upset with Mr. Hurt that I just sent him an e-mail that reads like this:

You sir are an arrogant bastard, how dare you tell anybody what to do with the bodies of their loved ones regardless of their mode of transportation.

Go to hell !!!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

This is nothing more than grandstanding by some ******* using his "status" as a physician to promote mandatory helmets in NM, by causing such an uproar, he accomplishes his goal of drawing attention to "the helmet issue" to wit; "Gee why don't they just wear helmets?". The guy probably did his residencey under Mengle.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:07 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Forgive me for daring to even mildly criticize any members of the most perfect group of people that exists on the face of the Earth, medical doctors.

So sorry. Please excuse me.

Anyhow I said some doctors, not all, or even a substantial number. No need to get so defensive.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:39 PM   #16
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default HURT RESPONDS!

Dear Goose -

Last year, New Mexico spent $280 million on traumatic brain injury. If this bill keeps one biker from adding to that tragic number, it's a good thing. It's been brought to my attention that people who don't wear belts in cars should be included. They're right so I'll amend it so.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Allen Hurt

This is a response to an email that I sent senator Hurt. I even called him brain-dead! I was surprised he responded.

When he says " If this bill keeps one biker from adding to that tragic number, it's a good thing" his true aim is revealed: to get riders to wear helmets. It's a back-door helmet law, with a percieved 'public good' thrown in as a bonus.

At least by including belt-less drivers he's consistant. I can't belive a republican is proposing this type of law. It'll never pass.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 06:35 PM   #17
kevn94
Founding Member

Seems like there is a lack of freedom in this country. It makes absolute sense though doesn't it? Wearing seatbelts and helments saves lives. Now, so do motorcyclists. Why not make anyone who operates a motor vehicle on a public road an organ donor? Man, it sure is nice to have a government that makes us wear seatbelts, helments, and make us organ donors isn't it? Do you know how many peoples lives will be saved because of this new law in New Mexico? But, on the other side of this arguement is the other question: Do you know how many people fought and died for our country so that this would never happen to us? Sometimes, even when something makes sense (such as wearing seatbelts/helments) it is best not to make a law out of it, because freedom is what makes us the best country in the world! I would be stupid not to wear a seatbelt/helment Mr. Burns, but that gives my government no right to tell me I have to. The same goes for someone telling you that you have to be an organ donor.

kevn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:48 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: HURT RESPONDS!

He said they spent $280 million on brain injuries. Now ask the double speaking liar how much of that was spent on unhelmeted bikers, and show you the documentation. That statement ranks right up there with "I didn't inhale" and "I didn't have sex with that woman". Bullshyt in it's purest form. The #1 cause of death in an auto is head injuries, and that is with or without a seatbelt. Anyone tell him that? How about helmets for drivers, since he is so concerned (which would also include his sorry ass).
Old 02-02-2003, 03:54 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Amendment

I can think of hundreds of laws that will save that proverbial "one life". That would include banning smoking, drinking, unsafe sex, eating fatty foods, manadatory excercise, guns, knives, bicycles, motor vehicles, showers (baths only, no slipping and hitting head). Are we worried yet? I am. They can go to hell with that "one life" bullshyt.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:09 AM   #20
Tom_Glassen
Founding Member

Default Re: HURT RESPONDS!

Actually, to be consistent he would include automobile drivers and passengers who don't wear helmets. According to statistics I've read, something like 3/4 of motorcycle deaths are related to head injuries. For automobile accident fatalities this figure is about 1/2 of the deaths.

Automobile drivers and passengers who push helmet laws don't know or don't want to admit that the argument for requiring the wearing of helmets is about as strong for automobiles as it is for motorcycles. The difference is the automobile riding public represents the majority and would never put up with such an effront to their freedom of choice. A minority, however, can be dictated too.
Tom_Glassen is offline   Reply With Quote