Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-26-2003, 07:20 AM   #41
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Crash! Splat!

Nope. That seems to cover it.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #42
Grappelli
Registered Member

Good point. Well I know that in Britain that although the numbers of deaths is up a similar amount, but he number of deaths per million miles is down significantly. The increased numbers are accounted for by a nearly doubling in the numbers of bike and scooter riders. It is is worth noting that britain introduced some very tough bike training laws about ten years ago. If you start at 17 and go through the whole lot it now takes you:

1. Certificate of basic training to get on the road AT ALL. (About a day of training)

2. 11hp test

3. written test - (which is not just 15 multiple choice questions)

4. 33hp test

5. Unlimited hp test

If you start at 21, the 11hp test can be missed - but the point is, very few people can pass these tests without going on a 3 or 5 day taining course. This is not were people learn to ride fast, but they do learn what they need to do to ride safely.

The biggest one of these is how to look around you properly as you ride. I'd got licenses in other countries before I did my british license and I still had trouble with the amount of looking around they want you to do, and you don't learn it unless you're forced to.

Here's a simple example. Turn left: Look over your right shoulder to check for people inside you. Indicate. Check over your left shoulder. Move to the middle of the road. 10-15 feet before you turn, look over your left shoulder again and turn. This last look is called the lifesaver and is there in case there is some nutcase trying to overtake you as turn. It's certaininly saved my bacon since I've been using it and is something I'm glad I do most of the time.

I tell you, this amount of observation takes learning and is uncomfortable until you practice it a lot. Most people without this training have a quick clance in the mirror before they turn.

Old 01-26-2003, 07:50 AM   #43
Haird
Founding Member

Very interesting. Since nearly getting clipped a couple of years ago, I have religiously done the "head check" before changing lanes or turning -- to the point that I'm looking for a helmet that offers better peripheral vision than my otherwise fantastic Arai. Do you know of a book, Web site or other training materials that get into detail about when and where you should be loooking to avoid accidents? What you've described goes well beyond what I've read or heard before.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:54 AM   #44
Grappelli
Registered Member

yea.. I know that one. I'm 39 and got acused of mid-life crap when I bought my 1150GS. But it's a damn site more sensible than some of the much smaller bikes I've owned (including a Suzuki Pepsi 250 in the eighties.. nutcase of a bike - how may engine rebuilds?)

There is a difference between someone who buys a liter class bike who has been riding constantly for 20 years and one who rode 20 years ago. We have adjusted to the fact that our bikes are faster and our reactions slower. (Well, mine are, and if you think yours aren't, you've ignoring facts - always dangerous on a bike) And the way we get round this is much increased experience, anticipating problems much better. But if you've not been on a bike in years, you ain't got that going for you either.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:20 AM   #45
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Seruzawa, while I've reached a stage in my life where the sport bike riding position has become less that pleasurable it is hard to agrue that one has less control of a bike of this configuration. The naked, standard,or dirtbike riding position in my view is superior for street riding, however the cruiser stance where one has thier feet splayed out and in front, like a woman getting a gynocological exam, offers the least control when the going gets dicey. You will note that in no example of motorcycle competition will you find riders using the cruiser control layout. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:28 PM   #46
Duken4evr
Founding Member

"There is a difference between someone who buys a liter class bike who has been riding constantly for 20 years and one who rode 20 years ago."

That, in a nutshell, I belive is the core of why this trend is occurring. I agree completely.

250 two stroke eh? Sounds like fun. I have a buddy who simply will not give up on his RZ350s. He is an odd fellow.

I think when we are young, we are drawn to high rpm and intensity. I know I was. I loved my revvy inline 4 cylinders.

Now I am driven by the primal thump of the big twins, only I like mine wrapped in sporting but not supersporting clothes. The Aprillia Tuono sure looks interesting. Explains why I love my TL so (at making some comfort mods) I guess...
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #47
Anders_Beer
Founding Member

I think it's not too mysterious.

A. Motorcycles have changed by leaps and bounds since 1997. A 600 is putting down 115hp+ and weighs less than 400lb's. Expensive custom choppers are 10 times more popular they are essentially mainstream, but they are just as unwieldy as ever.

B. The AMA still does jack squat about proper rider education and safety training. Handing out passive propaganda does not count. Those MSF courses ... well forget it thats a different story. Fricken AMA, what the hell do you get for your membership? I get more from a regular Honda Red Rider card!

C. The culture of youth riders is twice as retarded as before. Now you have this whole Street stunt riding culture that says go out and buy a gixxer, do some wheel stands down the freeway while wearing shorts and some tatoo's. Plus you have Johnny 30 something and his wife buying fashionable Harley's and trying to be "rebel rock star" while they have no clue about riding.

I would like to see a study that analyses the motorcycle accidents based on rider background.

The comon theme is "Where they drinking? Where they young?"

I think more interesting is: Where they alone? Where they experienced? What kind of rider were they? Sport? Harley? Commuter? Gang?

75% of the riders I encounter seem to be newbies without proper gear who are way too motivated by pop culture. Guys who get all excited by the trailers for Biker Boys. Or couples who think the hard part about motorcycling is choosing which fashion to go with.

I am sounding more and more like an old man.... I'll stop right here.
Anders_Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:54 PM   #48
Haird
Founding Member

Old, maybe. Wise, definitely. I'd add "how much training" to the list of interesting questions.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:45 PM   #49
DucButt
Founding Member

Actually, I prefer the visibility from a sport bike - the seat position is typically higher than on a cruiser (at least my Suzuki cruiser). Secondly, I experience much better maneuverability with the clip-ons than the wide bars on the Suzuki. In a situation requiring evasive action, I'd much rather be on a sport bike...
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #50
OConnor
Founding Member

Maybe the "Biker Boyz" movie will help reduce the number of young guys buying fast bikes and wadding them up? or not.
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote