Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: NHTSA Gets Schooled By MSF

Yeah, I'm sure after taking the MSF course they're so impressed they'll make it

M-A-N-D-I-T-O-R-Y Thanks big brother!

P.S. you always seem to know what's best for me
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

That's excellent, having someone high up inthe NHTSA with a positive opinion about bikes and an appreciation of the importance of good rider training can only benifit us, Light years away from the old Joan Claybrook days when they actively hated us, and wanted to outlaw bikes altogether, Making rider training and stepped licenses mandatory is going to make riding safer for newbies and lower the accident rates, that will lessen the negative publicity we recieve and let the do-gooders move on to something that will really make a differance in highway deaths and injuries, like going after drunks, cellphone talkers and aggressive driving, which according to the WSP is the number 1, 2, and 3 causes of deaths and injuries on the road.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Opps, mandatory has two A's.

In truth, I do think that having NHTSA officials take an MSF course is a good idea; as long as they don't introduce any unnessesary legislation. I just thought there wasn't nearly enough sarcasm on these boards.

gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
tomekd
Founding Member

Here are steps I propose:

-600 and no more then 110 rwhp

-1000 cc and no more then 160 rwhp

-1450 cc ( so stroked and overbored Haybusa fits in) and no more then 13 psi of boost.

Get real this is America stepped license will never happen here.

Also I've seen those reports about cellphone users and 3-4 times higher risk of crash blah,blah.They are B.S. and based on what?

I drive semi in Chicagoland and it seems to me that at any give moment 80 % of road users is on the phone but number of accidents have been pretty much the same over last few years.
tomekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

Funny thing, countries with strict rider/driver training and licensing standards (including stepped licenses), tough vehicle standards, manditory helmet laws etc seem to be great places to ride motorcycles. The public accepts them, police don't hassle them, you can walk into any cafe in full leathers or cordura without being treated like a freak. Wonder if there is any connection?

Most of these countries also ban cell phone use in cars and are real tough on drunk driving.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Bob I think that you would love Singapore. Nice weather, friendly people, and oh by the way, don't bring chewing gum as possesion of it will get you time in jail. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #7
richardnixon
Registered Member

Default Training is good

We need better driver and rider education and training in the US. I feel like the drivers that share the road with me do not have adequate mental and PHYSICAL training. I am in favor of more manditory training for all motorists.

Ideally this training would have increased focus on learning the physical skills of driving and riding well. I took the MSF course and I believe that it gave me a solid foundation.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

Ever try to scrape chewing gum off your shoes, or gas or brake pedal or maybe your kids get it on their shoes, then put their feet on the seats? they should outlaw that crap here too. and chewing tobacco
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:21 PM   #9
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

And hamburgers and beer and suntan booths and chocolate malts and maybe even motorcycles. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:23 AM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

As I think chewing gum is one of the most disgusting habits of modern mankind, I'd suport that one as well

Philosophically, I tend to agree with you, but the fact is that society, in one way or another, tends to be revolted by wholesale slaughter on the highway and will try crack down somehow. May take the form of "no motorcycles" and "no leathers" signs at the local roadside cafe, excessive enforcement of repressinve speedlimits, parents' unwillingness to let their children ride bikes, or the attempts of some to totally ban motorcycles.

Or, as in western Europe, strict rider/cycle standards, with widespread social acceptance, courtesy from most auto drivers, and a great deal more freedom to ride as aggressively as I want.

Its a trade-off. Which freedoms do I value more? The "right" to ride without training or skills, drunk, without a helmet or other protective gear, or the right to ride as quickly as conditions permit (outside populated areas or course) with nobody trying to run me off he road, or trying to restrict where I can ride (if I can ride a motorcycle at all).
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote