Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-13-2003, 08:37 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You started the name calling (again)

The AMA is a body organized to represent all of its members. Like it or not a very large portion of its membership opposes forced helmet laws.

If the AMA totally gives up the helmet fight, will that cause the safety-nazis (whose true purpose is to ban us completely, by the way) to go away or will it just encourage them to continue their tactics? Whether or not helmets are a good thing to wear (and they are) the main reason Kalifornia's helmet law passed was because Rep. Floyd lied outrageously in heavy lobbying to the legislature. I'll bet that you believe that lies are acceptable tactics to achieve your ends because you are always right.

These people will never compromise until motorcycles are banned. Why should we give them an inch? They only see motorcyclists who knuckle under to their initiatives as weak-willed.

Sometimes you just gotta draw a line in the sand.

But I guess that someone like you who considers himself superior to others will always desire to use force against those who disagree with you. After all they are wrong and you are right so it's fully justified to make them miserable and take away their freedom to choose.

You would benefit greatly from reading some famous essays on freedom like the Federalist papers or Voltaire.

I take that back. I doubt you could ever learn anything.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2003, 08:44 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Ready, Action!

KPaul: "Mom, those motorcycle guys are being mean to me again. Make them stop! They're calling me names."

Mrs. Paul: "Now Honey, I told you to stay on Nick Jr.com and not chat with those men. That site is no place for a 13 year old."

KPaul: "Mom I'm not 13! I was born in 1969. Gen X. Don't you remember?"

Mrs Paul: (Crushing up Ritalyn with spoon and sprinkling over plate) "Come on in the kitchen dear, your fish sticks are ready."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:48 AM   #23
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Ready, Action!

LOL BestBoy
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:01 AM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Your line was drawn wrong.

I think you are right the problem with AMA is that is doesn't support helmet laws. Perhaps the time is right for a new organization. The new org will push for motorcycle rights and safety in a more reasonable way. With freedom comes responsibility. A line that says we have the freedom to ride but we take the responsibility for that freedom by supporting helmet laws. Right now the AMA has a credibility problem with the public. I think if you guys would get off your high harleys and draw the line a further back you would see a better response from govt.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:17 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: You started the name calling (again)

Voltaire was just a crappy car made by Plymouth in the 70s! It had no technology!

I'm glad you've forgotten your boycott of KP. It's refreshing to see some like-minded individuals here.

Sadly, our schools don't teach the concept of liberty anymore so you really can't expect anyone under 35 to dig your rap.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:24 AM   #26
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Lots of Green for Clean

Remember, this is the same EPA that mandated groundwater contaminating, carcinogenic MBTE. Here in Maine, they measured air quality in August at the height of tourist season--if they'd measured any other time than the four weeks at the end of July/beg. of Aug, we would have measured clean and not had MBTE forced on us. Because of this, municipal and private wells have been contaminated. Are our individual emissions cleaner as a result. Sure. Does that outweigh contamination of groundwater, possible carcinogenic effects through handling, and degradation of older-car and bike components? I don't know... and neither does the EPA, because it wasn't part of their original impact study when analyzing the "true cost" of implementation.

I'm all for cleaner exhaust, but not everyone can afford a BMW. Figure it this way--what percentage of the cost of a BMW is the catalytic converter and fi? Now think about adapting said components to a Suz. GS500. An extra $1k tacked onto a $12k bike isn't that much (yeah, right), but would boost the cost of a GS by, what, 25%? And that extra cash just might be the difference between some new rider getting into motorcycles or not.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:28 AM   #27
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Lots of Green for Clean

No, no, no, we bash SUVs because they get horrible milage, take about 1000% more materials to produce, clog our streets, and are most likely driven by a TV-watching, cell-phone-talking moron who will gladly drift into your lane or pull out in front of you while "not seeing" you. Its supposed to be the _Environmental_ Protection Agency, not merely the Emissions Gestapo. Figure out some holistic equation that takes all environmental factors into account, not just emission, and then start applying it equally.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:42 AM   #28
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I say wait for the baby boomers to die off. Let Gen Xers rebuild AMA creditability

"The only way to protect our sport is through poltical cout. This will require large numbers of riders willing to fight back against unreasonable requirements. " The key is is unreasonable Right now the AMA is off the mark. Maybe we just have to wait till the baby boomers die off to make any real AMA agenda changes. The boomers oppose helmet laws like it was the war in vietnam etc.

The GenXers, who have worn helmets for bikes, skateboards, roller blading, skiing can take over and rebuild the AMA.

Old 01-13-2003, 09:43 AM   #29
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Point

Well said best post here
Old 01-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: I say wait for the baby boomers to die off. Let Gen Xers rebuild AMA creditabilit

All GenXers are known for was being the first generation of overweight adolecents with sore thumbs from playing Nintendo. If you are the prototype GenX, I rest my case.