Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-13-2003, 06:33 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Lots of Green for Clean

Just a case here of the feds frying the little fish, while the big fish get away. No real suprise on this one, as "government intelligence" is being shown again. I wonder if their time and money wouldn't be better spent finding and prosecuting industrial polluters that are dumping tons of toxic wastes yearly into the air and water. Nah.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2003, 06:37 AM   #12
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default About priorities

I buy into the original mission of the EPA and the stated purpose of the Clean Air Act that it implements, but this foolishness is contraproductive in terms of that mission.

Most modern bikes meet the same emission standards as cars. Total emissions per passenger of a motorcycle are about 1/3 that of the average car sold in the US. So EPA should:

1) Concentrate on reducing overall emissions in cages first, concentrating on SUVs.

2) Encourage the use of motorcycles by relaxing emissions reduction requirements by perhaps half those for automobiles.

I don't much buy the conclusions of this article regarding small motorcycle manufacturers. Most of them buy almost all the relevant parts from either the big manufacturers or large contracting engine manufacturers like Rotax. Further, most manufacturers either meet 2006 standards now or are well on their way. Non-catalyst technology that meets these standards will be on the road in 2003.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:38 AM   #13
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Any lazy butt can do this type of reporting

Why don't you just put this link Motorcycle News Wire on the MO homepage. Geez MO you guys are getting lazy. longride Bernstein strikes again. lazy lazy. Where is the writing, the digging, the exclusive interview?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:48 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: How much? Zero dollars and zero cents.

Well you're thinking too clearly here! Stating facts rather than making an emotional appeal about "the environment" (sniff) is not the American way.

Requiring us to think is wrong. I just want to say I'm "for the environment" and feel good about myself.

Gee, I'm feeling so morally superior now. I think I'll go pet a dolphin.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:24 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Any lazy butt can do this type of reporting

The news posted here is to give you a reason to look at MO every day. Just because it isn't re-written to look slightly different from another article, doesn't make it any less relevant, or newsworthy. The articles will be from a variety of sources on the internet. I would imagine most people at MO would like to see some different news headlines posted here to look at and discuss. The ability to give feedback on a subject is nice to be able to do, and some people may actually learn something(not all of us though). Of course new tests of motorcycles will be done and there will be original articles from MO staff, also. I offered to post new news articles for MO and they took me up on it. I am doing this on my own time to try to make the site more interesting and have some new stuff to read and discuss. It also frees up the MO staff for what they do best; testing motorcycles and getting us even better news. If these news headlines annoy or insult you, I'm sure your time would be better spent elsewhere. In the lull between major tests or shootouts, I think posting some new stuff couldn't hurt for people that may want to discuss certain issues that relate to motorcycles.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:46 AM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

Default It doesn't help to have idiots who

Idiots who fight helmet laws doesn't help the cause. Just makes motorcyclists an easier target. You wonder way the government gets support from the public to go after motorcylist? Get a clue salesboy? longfellow?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:48 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Any lazy butt can do this type of reporting

Why don't you just let yer subscription run out and go elsewhere? Obviously you are so vastly superior to anyone else here that you should start your own website extolling your own unique brand of logic.

I sugget something along these lines:

http://www.vhemt.org/
Old 01-13-2003, 07:53 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: It doesn't help to have idiots who

What on earth are you talking about/referring to?

Take your medicine dude.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:03 AM   #19
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default dumb dumb dumb

This is the internet, KPC. You can just point to the news. You're smarter than this post shows. Maybe your're kidding?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:10 AM   #20
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Re: Lots of Green for Clean

First of all I'd like to make it clear that I think that current emissions restrictions on motorcycles are just fine in terms of protecting the environment. Especially when considering that bikes use much less gas than cars, require much fewer resources to make due to their smaller size, can operate effectively on smaller roads, require fewer parking garages to be built, blah, blah, blah I'm preaching to the choir here.

And I'm glad that there are organizations like the AMA and people like Dr. Vaughn who are promoting that point of view.

But I have a beef with the science (the accounting, maybe?) of Vaughn's study.

Vaughn quotes numbers that show that motorcycle registration in California declined 7.7% between 1996 and 2001. In the rest of the country, registrations were up 32%.

Vaughn then ascribes the drop in motorcycle registrations solely to governmental regulations in California. I quote:

"Even a cursory look at the data suggests that government regulations explain much of the fall in California's motorcycle registrations."

It does? They do? I read his study, and didn't come to that conclusion.

I lived and rode in California for six years before moving to Washington state. Environmental restrictions for street bikes were a non-issue when considering purchase. Although built to satisfy different emissions standards, bikes were not more expensive in California than in other states. In fact, in many cases they were cheaper compared to prices in cold weather states where total sales volume was lower.

In the text of the study (see pages 25-26), Vaughn further states that of motorcycle registrations have increased at a faster rate in non-helmet law states, and implies that helmet laws prevent bike sales.

Maybe so, but I can't believe that anyone decides whether they are going to buy a bike based on whether the law requires that they wear a helmet. Sure, you might not like helmet laws, but if THAT is the thing that keeps you from buying a bike, I don't understand that. Either you want to ride or you don't, and the helmet just comes along for the ride.

My point is that good science and legitimate reasoning are important for us bikers when maintaining credibility with the rest of the non-biking world. Like it or not, how non-bikers view us affects the rules under which we ride.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote