Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   L.A. area zcreening of ''Biker Boyz'' on January 16! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/1515-l-area-zcreening-biker-boyz-january-16-a.html)

KPaulCook 01-12-2003 09:49 AM

Excellent Post.

Excellent Post, although as you correctly point out Europe can be a barometer for what happens in the U.S, in this case I definitely think Cruisers are going down.

KPaulCook 01-12-2003 09:59 AM

Ah you need to get out more

Although I am married in my thirties, I attend grad school at the UW in Seattle where the average age is 20 probably. I supervise 20 engineers average age 27. So I do get out with the Gen Ys. Yes there will always be those few who are the caretakers of the antique i.e. muscle cars, harleys, etc. However, in 5 years Cruisers will be out. You heard it here first.

ironmike 01-12-2003 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, absolutely correct...

What sort of reaction might... oh, let's say.. insurance companies have..?

In my state (LA), several major insurance companies have refused to write any new policies - at all. Some are pulling out altogether, notwithstanding the state law that mandates insurance coverage on all motor vehicles used on public roads. The rationale..? (MONEY!) Too many claims, too many uninsured motor vehicles/operators, and a disproportionate number of 16-28 year-old males deemed at fault in injury related "accidents". Who is most likely to be influenced by this motion picture... (~snicker~.. we don' need no stinkin' insurance..)..? It'll be the taxpayer who will be footing those bills - then we may see a legislative backlash.

I know.. "it's only a movie"... but don't underestimate its potential influence; on the other hand, don't overestimate it either. Tell everyone who'll listen that it's only "entertainment" not reality, and try to laugh it off... 'cause, it is not going to evaporate.

ironmike 01-12-2003 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, absolutely correct...

What sort of reaction might... oh, let's say.. insurance companies have..?

In my state (LA), several major insurance companies have refused to write any new policies - at all. Some are pulling out altogether, notwithstanding the state law that mandates insurance coverage on all motor vehicles used on public roads. The rationale..? (MONEY!) Too many claims, too many uninsured motor vehicles/operators, and a disproportionate number of 16-28 year-old males deemed at fault in injury related "accidents". Who is most likely to be influenced by this motion picture... (~snicker~.. we don' need no stinkin' insurance..)..? It'll be the taxpayer who will be footing those bills - then we may see a legislative backlash.

I know.. "it's only a movie"... but don't underestimate its potential influence; on the other hand, don't overestimate it either. Tell everyone who'll listen that it's only "entertainment" not reality, and try to laugh it off... 'cause, it is not going to evaporate.

ironmike 01-12-2003 10:08 AM

Damn, another double post!

..'Sorry, I've no idea how it did that.. again.

Buzglyd 01-12-2003 12:07 PM

Re: Ah you need to get out more

Cruisers may be out but Harleys will always be with us KPaul-san. Harley doesn't build cruisers (that's what other comanies do), Harley builds Harleys.

And hanging out with a bunch of dorky engineers just like yourself doesn't make you cool or cutting edge. And the fact that you like to put yourself and others into little media-created cookie cutter catagories (gen x, gen y, what the hell is that?) is lame.

I was at the beach last weekend watching a surf contest so believe me I'm around plenty of youngsters.

Try being an individual for once.......

john 01-12-2003 12:27 PM

Re: It's the future get used to it.

KPaul, I dont know where you live, but here by and large the nonriding 18-24 yr olds still think of Harleys as "the ultimate". This is West Texas mind you, but 90% of the people you come acrosss would say a road king is faster then a blackbird. 5 Years???? highly doubtful. I bet harley PRODUCTION will level off in a bout 5 years, but they will have a 25% market share for at least the next 20.

sarnali 01-12-2003 01:42 PM

Re: Ah you need to get out more

Thats a good one, Harley's sure the hell don't copy anyone else, even the V-rod is a unique take on the power cruiser class, I prefer sport standards myself but I'd be interested in a Warrior or V-rod type bike, maybe not enough to buy one, but who knows, I'm pretty open minded as to what anyone else rides {don't G.I.F.] but the metric cruisers are obvious copys, and to try and deny that is a bit much. The Japanese should capitalise on their history of high performance inline fours instead of trying to buy into some instant nostalgia kick.

Buzglyd 01-12-2003 02:30 PM

Yamaha's "25th Anniversary"

Exactly. Did you notice that Yamaha just coincidentally is celebrating the 25th anniversary (the same year as H-Ds 100th) of a bike they don't even make anymore? So, they're painting the RoadStar silver (H-Ds 100th anniversary color) and slapping badges all over it.

I'm sure H-D won't be timing any of their anniversaries with those of Far East manufacturers.

longride 01-12-2003 02:31 PM

Re: Excellent Post.

If cruisers are going down so quickly, why is the Triumph America their best seller after exactly one year of production? And no, Europe was NEVER a barometer for America. Ever. Period. Anyone that would say that is not thinking very clearly or maybe not at all. That's why there are different modles for here and there. Maybe if you THINK more and SPEAK less you may learn something.