Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-12-2003, 05:15 AM   #51
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: Cycle World Dave Edwards says get Naked dude

I know you don't care what happens outside the fruited plain, but naked bikes are the biggest sellers in Farnce right now, with only only one sportbike in the top ten selling bikes. Germany is very similar ( the home-grown R1100GS bucks the trend on a patriotism vote) and it's pretty much the same in Italy, where everyone rides a Ducati Monseter. In fact the Monster outsells the sportbikes by such a huge margin that it's Ducati's main earner: without the Monster they'd have gone belly-up several years ago, despite the adoration the magazines heap on the 916/996/999. Naked bikes and standards are the way to go in Europe.. but that doens't mean cruisers are dead in the US, of course. Just thought you'd like the global perspective.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2003, 06:02 AM   #52
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Its only a movie

Remember the Wild One? It was only a movie too, and it has taken many years to undo the damage!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:57 AM   #53
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I can totally understand that cruisers aren't huge in Europe although Ducati Monsters end up heavily customized so it's kind of the Italian Cruiser.

Cruisers, like hotrods, are definitely a slice of Americana. It's hard to explain how something impractical, loud and slow can be fun.

I tend not to view someone's choice of what to ride as right or wrong. Different strokes you know..........
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:15 AM   #54
FieryErmine
Founding Member

Default Re: L.A. area zcreening of ''Biker Boyz'' on January 16!

I'm actually amazed and somewhat heartened by the fact that NO ONE seems to have any expectation that this movie will be good. The most generous of us seem to say "maybe I'll wait 'til video".

I'm glad.

Robin.
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:48 AM   #55
Sam_Freed
Registered Member

Default Damn, what a bunch of snobs!

Pardon me fellows but could one of you pompous dandies reach into your tank bags and pass me some Grey Poupon? To listen to you guys sniffing and harumphing over a fun little action movie is probably 10 times funnier than the movie itself! Repeat after me . . . I-t-s J-u-s-t A M-o-v-i-e! Lighten up!
Sam_Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:51 AM   #56
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: It's the future get used to it.

Well, perhaps, except I didn't say those are the only two bikes I have. I actually have seven 2 wheeled vehicles, the Warrior, the VFR, a naked GL1200 Wing, a scratchbuilt CB750 powered springer chop, an XT600, a little CL350, and the bike I take my handle from, a GSXR suspended KZ1000.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:03 AM   #57
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't know why I'm doing this.....

God it must be nice. I haven't had a comfortable ride on an airplane since I was 12. (Even then I was 5'10", but I wasn't as wide, either.) Now... 6'5", 240 lbs, sitting all the way back, my knees touch the seat in front of me. My hipbones touch both armrests. It's not great for the person in front of me either, with my screaming in pain as they dislocate my patellae by tilting the seat back.

-Kawazuki
Old 01-12-2003, 09:19 AM   #58
kawazuki
Founding Member

While naked bikes are more comfortable than the current crop of sportbikes, and they don't instantly throw my hips out of socket when I try to ride one, they still aren't nearly as comfortable as the older style of bikes are, even the sporty VFR seems to be larger somehow, than say, an FZ1. And this isn't based on a 10 minute dealership test ride either, my roommate has an FZ (and a HD sportster, BTW) and we traded for a day out riding. The conclusions we came to were a.) the FZ, while it rocks on power, is not as nice as my VFR for long long rides (for me, he's a lot shorter) and b.) my Warrior (which he was riding) kicks the arse of every cruiser shaped bike sold at the HD dealership he works at. But we knew that last one already.

Believe me, after managing to ride a modern machine (2002 R1) for a while, I'm astounded by the power and handling, and would love nothing better then to be able to get something comparable in my size. Naked bikes? The new Aprilia Tuono looks completely badass, and I'm sure it kicks ass to ride, but I bet it'll hurt me like wearing a shoe two sizes too small.

Perhaps after I'm done with my welding degree at the end of the year, I'll put my skills to good use building a sportbike for people my size.

-Kawazuki
Old 01-12-2003, 09:23 AM   #59
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't know why I'm doing this.....

I just said I fit into 'em. I didn't say they were comfortable! It's torture for me too and I fly a heluva lot.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:19 AM   #60
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Muscle cars are already back

Perhaps you should check out what the young be-boppers are cruising around here in SoCal (which is far more trendy than Granola-land where you reside). Lots of youngins are driving old 60s and 70s American Iron. Convertibles are especially cool here (yes it was sunny and 70 here yesterday and I did a nice 180 mile ride).

As far as being Mr. Future Gen Ex guy: I hate to break it to you KP but those of us in our 30s are old news to the marketing types. You've got two kids and drive a minivan for chrissakes! I've got a 5 year old and watch Spongebob Squarepants every night.

Teens and 20s are what the marketing types are considering now. A Honda Accord and a minivan do not make you cutting edge. It makes you old!