Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-11-2003, 04:18 PM   #21
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Its only a movie

"I'm sure you will be photographed if you go, " My aren't we paranoid. Take it easy its only a funny relax go see. You might have fun.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2003, 04:18 PM   #22
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: L.A. area zcreening of ''Biker Boyz'' on January 16!

Your generation also had Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper making morons of themselves, to paraphrase John Burns.

And didn't your generation also have Lon Chaney in the silent version of The Mummy?

Old 01-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #23
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Easy boy it's only a movie like Burns said ....

Like Burns said everyone that doesn't ride thinks bikers are nuts. Go to it relax and have fun. Besides I think there might be something positive come out of it i.e. more kids riding bikes. Geez everyone is getting so uptight about it. The Fast and Furious made Hev Rev Tunners popular but it didn't make the public outlaw Honda Civics. Hey any bike movie that doesn't glorify Harleys is good to me.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

Yep that's the spirit. Good one.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #25
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Finally inline 4s get their day in the sun or their names in lights. ZX12 vs Haybusa

"Since it's a Hollywood product don't go to see it unless you are prepared to see bikers completely misrepresented, oversimplified, stereotyped and ridiculously caricaturized. (Is that an invented word like "atrociteur"?) " Excellent point it is only a movie. Hopefully it will show the superiority of inline 4s.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:34 PM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Get out and see the inline 4s :)

Seriously go see it have fun. The Fox thinks there will be people taking names and addresses of folks seeing it. Maybe you'll want to trade your old Ducati in for the 999 after you see it. God forbid you will want a Busa.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:40 PM   #27
last901
Founding Member

Man, am I so pleased to discover that most serious bikers find this movie disgusting. I have sometimes wondered if the sportbike community was ruled by squids or enthusiasts. Thank God, it appears most of us - at least those of use who still can communicate - are simply enjoying our rides for what they are. I'm feeling better and am going into the bathroom to shave off my grey beard and toss all the Harley brochures I picked up this afternoon. Better get my Speed Triple off the internet sales web site too...
last901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:46 PM   #28
zaku
Founding Member

Default Re: Easy boy it's only a movie like Burns said ....

The public didn't try to outlaw Honda Civics is because it's a CAR. They're not going to outlaw anything with four wheels. How would yuppies get around? But seriously, majority of the public hates bikes in general. Look at how many bitter looking faces you see during bumper to bumper hours on the freeway when you go lane splitting pass them. Like cutting in line for ice cream.....
zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:51 PM   #29
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: It's the future get used to it.

All right, I'll take your comments and reply.

Serious, modern style sportbikes have been around for at least 18 years. (Probably longer, but I don't want to quibble about the definition of a sportbike, the way people debate "the first muscle car", so I arbitrarily picked the Kawasaki GPZ, because I like them.) So there's very likely nobody on the planet, who has any plans to buy a motorcycle of any type we're discussing, who doesn't know they exist. And yet, there are more cruiser manufacturers this year than there have ever been.

Recognizing the market, even Japanese manufacturers -- essentially the total innovators of the inline four sportbike -- are coming out with new cruiser models every year. Undeniably superior to Hardleys, on a price / performance / reliability curve, but also undeniably cruisers.

There seems unlikely to be enough of a die off of lawyers and doctors over the next 5 years to kill the market for them (cruisers, not doctors and lawyers) either. Or even to seriously dent the demand, or make them a dying breed. (Just want to make sure you can't think I'm not directly opposing your statment.

Also, even younger buyers, who aren't neccesarily as swayed by early memories of "Easy Riders", and who have grown up with sport bikes as a part of the motorcycling landscape, are also buying cruisers. And these aren't all people without sportbike experience, either. Specifically in this I can make an example of my own case; I own a '95 VFR, and last year I bought a Yamaha Warrior. And I'm certainly not the only person of my age (26) who appreciates both sport bikes and cruisers.

And my final point in rebuttal of yours is the trend that sportbikes have shown of late towards being smaller and smaller. Eventually cruisers will be the only game in town for the 6 foot plus crowd. (Well, ok, I'm 6'5" so I don't know if someone who is 6 foot can fit on a recent sportbike without hip cramps or not, but I can't. I admit, I pulled the six foot figure out of my ass.) Someday, all the old sportbikes we can fit on will be dead, or too expensive to ride.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:24 PM   #30
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Cycle World Dave Edwards says get Naked dude

Excellent Points. However, you might want to consider naked bikes. "Maybe this is the year that Nake Sports catch on. Buell Lightning, Ducati Monter 100, Honda 919, Kawasaki Z1000, MV Brutale, Suzuki SV1000, Triumph Speed, Yamaha FZ-1, let's get ready to rumble! David Edward, Editor in Chief CycleWorld February 2003.

Seriously sports bikes and nakeds are the one two combination that will knock cruisers out of the top sales spot. Sport bikes for guys like me (6' 1'' 200 lbs) nakeds for bigger dudes like you.