Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-03-2003, 09:09 AM   #71
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: More Meaningful News -- Press Release

Maybe you need an FTP login too.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2003, 09:59 AM   #72
StealthSwede
Founding Member

Default What's with all the gay bashing?

Ok, I'm not gay and the fact that I have many gay friends is irrelevant, but I don't like all this cornholing talk just cause some idiot came up with arm chaps, find it offensive actually. I heartily agree that these things are completely ridiculous, I just wanna say "how 'bout buying a normal jacket, it's got leather all the way around, what a concept", but I don't think the gay slant is very appropriate.

And on a practical note, after living in San Francisco for several years I've realized that, while the leather crowd is well represented, most gay men are far superior to us straight boys when it comes to style and dress, and we would do well to take some pointers rather than perpetuate the stereotype of the leather queen.
StealthSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:30 AM   #73
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default For Those Interested in Motorcycle Content

Off topic I know, but since I don't (and apparently several others also don't) give a $hit about the latest in attire for the leather bar set.......

Stage 3 (last European stage) of the Paris-Dakar Rally is complete, with the reamaining stages to be held in Africa -- 3 in Tunisia, 5 in Libya and 6 in Egypt.

This year, the rally does not start in Paris, nor does it end in Dakar, but I guess that Marseille-Sharm el Sheikh does not have the same ring (or marketing value).

In the motorcycle group, the field is dominated by KTM -- of the top 20 (at the end of stage 3) 15 are KTM 660 LC4s, 4 are KTM 950 LC8s (V-Twins -- so much for the death of V-twins in racing, KPaul!) and one Honda (in 16th place),

Race leader is Frenchman Richard Sainct on his KTM 660LC4, with similarly mounted South African Alfie Cox in second. Sainct finished 3rd in last year's P-D, with Cox in 2nd. Last year's winner, Italian Fabrizio Meoni, again on a V-Twin KTM 950 LC8 was 6th after 3 stages, trailing by 1' 48". Considering the difficulty of the African stages to come, this time deficit is not very significant, and none of the top 20 riders should be considered out of the running at this time.

There are apparently no American riders participating this year (CW Magazine off-road editor Jimmie Lewis has participated in the past) -- no doubt any riders who might otherwise have been tempted were discouraged by recent political and diplomatic developments in the region.

They do also race cars as well as large trucks (!), but surely, nobody on this site gives a damn about them.

All factual data per the official Paris-Dakar web site (www.dakar.com/2003/us).

OK, now back to gay-bashing and ridiculing other's tastes in riding apparel
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:39 AM   #74
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Still More Important Motorcycle-Related News

From a press release issued by AMA Pro Racing:

MOBILE MEDICAL CLINIC COMES TO AMA PRO RACING EVENTS IN 2003

PICKERINGTON, Ohio--AMA Pro Racing is pleased to announce the introduction of a unique Mobile Medical Clinic that will travel to AMA U.S. Supercross and Motocross Championship events in 2003. The Mobile Medical Clinic will be staffed by the experienced team of physicians, Dr. John Bodnar and Dr. Steve Augustine as well as regional trainers, nurses and medical assistants. The clinic is a result of AMA Pro Racing's recently formed Medical Advisory Board and was made possible in part by the financial support of Asterisk, a division of the CTI Knee Brace Company, as well as industry companies including the major OEMs.

"The Mobile Medical Clinic will give us better tools to handle the types of situations we encounter at these events," said Dr. Bodnar. "This is a big step in providing our riders with the best possible care and doing so in a timely fashion."

The Mobile Medical Clinic is a collaborative effort between AMA Pro Racing, its promoters and industry supporters.

"Safety is at the forefront of what we are trying to accomplish at AMA Pro Racing," said Scott Hollingsworth, AMA Pro Racing CEO. "Our Medical Advisory Board has done an outstanding job of bringing the concept of the mobile clinic to fruition in such a short period of time."

The mobile clinic will house a variety of medical and training equipment, including in the near future a state-of-the-art mobile x-ray machine. A temporary mobile clinic will be present at early rounds of this year's AMA Supercross Series and the custom-made clinic will debut later this winter. Dr. Bodnar works at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center in San Diego as Assistant Medical Director for the emergency room. Dr. Augustine is an assistant professor of orthopedics at the University of Florida's Jacksonville campus.

Similar plans are being considered by the AMA Pro Racing Medical Advisory Board for AMA U.S. Superbike and AMA U.S. Flat Track venues.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #75
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Excellent to get another Duc in the field. He'll hardly stand a chance on the overrated, dying V-twin I'm sure.

I met Larry at the Ducati Revs America event a year ago. He was pretty cool and a little crazy especially after watching him wheelie at about 130 mph down the front straight at the Las Vegas motor speedway.

Thanks for the news. Now I need to order my Italian flag-colored arm chaps before Laguna Seca!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #76
danch
Founding Member

Default Re: For Those Interested in Motorcycle Content

Thanks for the update! No big surprises (KTMs dominate and there are no American riders...), but I've been wondering on the Dakar as well.

I like to watch the heavy trucks, though - awesome in an entirely different way...
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #77
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: High fashion or the pinnacle of gayness?

>>Who ever said being gay was bad, or that we would bash anyone for any reason?<<

OK, and Trent Lott wasn't racist when he stated that the country would have been a lot better off had Strom Thurmond won the presidency in 1948. Whether he was or not, that comment pretty well sank his political career (Bush and other Republicans wisely chose to distance themselves from this sentiment for political, and likely ideological grounds).
Old 01-03-2003, 11:04 AM   #78
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: For Those Interested in Motorcycle Content

Actually, the heavy trucks are pretty cool to watch. Don't know if it is still true, but it used to be that most of the teams were really running support for the car or bike teams -- can't have official support on many stages, but one competitor could help another. A "race" truck with a collection of tools and spares (and a couple of mechanics on board) can be a great help in the middle of the effin Sahara when you lose a wheel or something!

I really got into this when I lived in Europe,where there is live (or nearly so) coverage on most stages on TV. Hard to believe how big this event is there.

Cheers

Bob
Old 01-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #79
rsheidler
Founding Member

Italian flag-colored arm chaps -- great marketing idea. Maybe we can get a royalty off each one. Could do a Japanese flag version for KPaul too!

Any idea how much to rent a vendor space at Laguna?

Bob

Old 01-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #80
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

Even a good "which bike is the best" fight would be something. If we didn't have KPaul (a.k.a. Richard Cranium) to laugh at, there wouldn't be much here at all, This is the nicest thing you have ever said about me. I have to agree with you on this one longride. Well said. How hard would it be to call McGrath up and do a phone interview etc.? I cut MO some slack a few months back when Burns said most were doing time probono. But from the looks of things though the Ad revenue is up now. I say that because I see more Ads on the pages.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote