Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Send the noise cops over, I'll be home in an hour."

The hell with the noise cops. I'm coming over in person. You owe me a beer anyway.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

[quote=acecycleins;238763]I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying you will see a dramatic difference in recorded accidents.[quote]

And here I thought helmet laws would take care of everything.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
acecycleins
Founding Member

[quote=longride;238765][quote=acecycleins;238763]I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying you will see a dramatic difference in recorded accidents.
Quote:

And here I thought helmet laws would take care of everything.
Helmets don't stop accidents. Getting squids off the road stops accidents. Silly LR.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Helmets don't stop accidents. Getting squids off the road stops accidents. Silly LR."

Partially correct. Getting drivers to pay attention stops even more accidents. Running over six bikes at a stop light doesn't happen to people paying attention.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The EU tried this before in the 80's That's why early K bikes were right at 100 hp. Anyway whatever blows their skirts up I suppose, most of the bikes I've owned have been just over or just under 100hp and I never felt cheated.

They did tiered licensing here in The Democratic Peoples Republic of Washington a few years back, 500cc was the break over. I actually thought it was a good idea, the first year or two your MC license was good for up to 500cc bikes after that it was unlimited. I personally don't see a problem myself, there's no realistic argument for allowing an inexperienced rider on a large displacement bike. Let them get their feet wet and learn some basic skill's on a small bike then retest on whatever you want.

I think it's a step in the right direction myself. I don't think 100hp limits are "bad" either, it looks good on paper and the vast majority of riders wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Nobody on the street with any kind of life expectancy is using anywhere near the 150 ~160 HP available on their bikes except Moke no matter what their Sport Bike fantasies are. Restrict them to 100hp, the Pol's can say they did something the insurance companies can all smile and pat each other on the back because they got their way and we can go on about our business.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 04-02-2010 at 08:10 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #26
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The EU tried this before in the 80's That's why early K bikes were right at 100 hp. Anyway whatever blows their skirts up I suppose, most of the bikes I've owned have been just over or just under 100hp and I never felt cheated.

They did tiered licensing here in The Democratic Peoples Republic of Washington a few years back, 500cc was the break over. I actually thought it was a good idea, the first year or two your MC license was good for up to 500cc bikes after that it was unlimited. I personally don't see a problem myself, there's no realistic argument for allowing an inexperienced rider on a large displacement bike. Let them get their feet wet and learn some basic skill's on a small bike then retest on whatever you want.

I think it's a step in the right direction myself. I don't think 100hp limits are "bad" either, it looks good on paper and the vast majority of riders wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Nobody on the street with any kind of life expectancy is using anywhere near the 150 ~160 HP available on their bikes except Moke no matter what their Sport Bike fantasies are. Restrict them to 100hp, the Pol's can say they did something the insurance companies can all smile and pat each other on the back because they got their way and we can go on about our business.
I have no issues with stepped licensing, either. I don't want HP limits. Simply, why develop the technology if you can sell it to the general public? People love horsepower. If they regulate it for bikes then they will for sportscars. Who wants a Vette with less than 200hp? Who wants a Audi A8 with less than 200hp? Why develop the technology if you're not allowed to use it? Ford's SHO pumps out 365hp, but gets 32 hwy mpg. It'd be assame to lose that.
What they should do is adjust the standards for licensing class/road test based on the type of bike you actually ride. Get busted riding an R1 when you tested on a VLX and you lose your permit for 3yrs. Next time it happens lose ALL licensing classes for 6 mos. It's just a thought, but it looked good on paper.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I see your point but from a performance factor a 100hp bike will leave all but the most exotic sports cars in the dust and as I recall a lot of performance cars have speed limiters on them.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote