Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-27-2002, 05:31 PM   #1
gringolet
Founding Member

Default Re: Enraged cager runs over sister's biker beau

Happened here in California (of course...) a few years ago. I think the cager got 8 years, which is pretty stiff in these parts. Usually they try not to press charges if they can avoid it.
gringolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Gabe
Registered Member

Default It Happened to My Buddy...

Christmas Eve, 1999. My friend and fellow cab driver, Julius Long. You were mistaken- it wasn't 8 years, it was NINE MONTHS!!! That'll learn 'em!

Here's the Story from the San Francisco Chronicle:

'Road Rage' Driver Jailed

His truck killed motorcyclist

Matthew B. Stannard, Chronicle Staff Writer Saturday, February 17, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Declaring that "road rage is out of control in our society," a San Mateo County Superior Court judge yesterday sentenced a man to nine months in jail for running over and killing a motorcyclist he had argued with minutes earlier.

Gerald Neal Bowen, 53, who had pleaded no contest in November to misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter, tearfully apologized yesterday to the family of Oakland motorcyclist Julius Long, 49, who died on Skyline Drive near Westridge Avenue in Daly City on Christmas Eve, 1999.

"There is no possible way I could convey the sorrow I know this caused to your family," Bowen said to Long's family and friends, who sat on one side of Judge Robert Foiles's Redwood City courtroom, while more than 30 of Bowen's friends and family packed the other side.

"There's not a day that goes by that I do not feel immense sorrow and immense responsibility," Bowen said sobbing. "I am sorry, Mrs. Long."

According to court records, Bowen was following his daughters' car the day of the accident when he saw the two young women exchanging vulgar hand signs with two motorcyclists. Bowen caught up to the bikers at a stop light, where he exchanged words with Long. Some witnesses also reported that Long kicked Bowen's truck.

Witnesses gave somewhat conflicting reports about what happened next, with some accusing Bowen of driving aggressively, even trying to strike Long. Other witnesses said Long was the aggressor, and continued to kick Bowen's truck as they sped down the road, although some said it looked like Long was just trying to keep the truck at a distance.

Long was passing Bowen on the left when the two vehicles collided, and Long's bike slid under Bowen's truck. The full-size, extended cab pickup ran over the bike, then ran over Long, who died at the scene.

The accident was commemorated a week later by a memorial run of 300 bikers, who donned orange arm bands and retraced Long's last ride. Long's family filed a civil action against Bowen, which his insurance company settled for $500,000,

according to his attorney, Jeffry Glenn.

Yesterday, Glenn asked Foiles to sentence his client to community service, citing Bowen's complete lack of a criminal record, his long career with Pacific Bell -- where he was demoted as a result of his arrest and the subsequent suspension of his driver's license -- and his decorated voluntary military service in Vietnam.

"This is a good man who was involved in a terrible, terrible tragedy which was a terrible, terrible accident," Glenn said. Bowen has always denied hitting Long intentionally.

But prosecutors and Kenneth Collins of San Francisco, who said he was riding with Long the day he died, called for a more severe sentence, both to balance Long's death and to send a message to the driving public.

"People who don't ride have to realize that an auto or a truck is a deadly weapon out there," Collins said. "If you swerve your car at someone, it's like taking out a gun and taking a shot."

Foiles agreed, sentencing Bowen to nine months in county jail and three years of supervised probation.

"There can only be one loser when a full-size pickup plays chicken with a motorcycle, and I think that was foreseeable," he said.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 07:25 AM   #3
gforces
Founding Member

Yeah, and if someone in a car is messing with you while you're on your bike, you're just a sitting duck out there.

It seems to me that the best way to deal with these situations is to either get away (if you can), or just plain pull over and deal with the agressor on foot. Chances are, when they see you stop and get off the bike, they'll just go away.

Our society doesn't seem to handle disagreement very well--pulling out the guns (or the cage, in this instance) is the answer to most of these people's problems with each other.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 07:26 AM   #4
piinob
Founding Member

Sounds like murder to me. Nine months is a slap on the hand. Of course here in Texas he would probably be on death row by now, and I am not sure if that is the answer either. But nine months is just crap. I think the community service, for a long period would be pretty good as long as it is related. Something like talking to school groups, Defensive driving classes, things such as that. But only after some serious jail time.

I think that maybe we are losing our grip on reality.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 08:14 AM   #5
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Thanks

Dear "Staff:"

What an horribly inappropriate time of the year to post an article like this. Thanks for helping my family remember the tragic motorcycle vs. car event that killed my younger brother many years a go. Now we really have something to talk about at the table tonight...

Thanks a lot,

Philip Darnall

So. California
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 08:52 AM   #6
gringolet
Founding Member

Nine months - I guess my mistaken recollection of 8 years was wishful thinking. I'm truly sorry for your loss, and for his family's loss. Be careful out there...
gringolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:45 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Yet another reason to avoid living in any State which is overrun with too-liberal judges. In my book, planning to kill someone and then carrying it out is First Degree Murder. But then California is an example of what happens when you confuse the Justice System with a load of psychobabblers and their excuses.

One advantage of the death penalty is that, while it isn't very effective at deterring 1st time murderers, it at least is very effective against repeat offenders.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:24 AM   #8
rossbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks

Far be it for me to tell you how to grieve, this story reminded me of a cycle vs. car tragedy as well. However, my thoughts were of thanks to the author instead of condemnation. Every time I think of Heather Howard I remember her thirst for life and am again reminded of why I loved her so much.

As for what you objected to, i.e., being reminded of the tragedy, well, not remembering it would be worse. In my humble opinion, of course. Death is the inevitable end of life and we can be thankful if we're living a life that has been worthy of the years we've been given. From what I knew, Heather's life overflowed with richness of experience and laughter.

We all have things to give thanks for, and I am thankful that six years of my life were spent in friendship and in love with an absolutely amazing woman.

"Remember Heather" 1972-1997

Regards,

Ross
rossbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 10:33 AM   #9
motodude1
Founding Member

Yep, it's all the LIBERALS' fault ain't it? jeezus fuc king christ....

I was just thinking, it's so easy to kill a motorcyclist. All you have to do is say, with a dumb ass shi t eating grin, "I didn't see him, ossifer..." and you're out the door, all charges dropped. Happens all the time, esp. when the perp is some 90 year old who of course has the 'right' to drive despite being nearly blind and deaf...but it's all the LIBERALS' faults, as we know.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:36 PM   #10
mconlon
Founding Member

Dude, dragging political crap into something like this is just so... pointless. Give it up.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote