Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-27-2002, 08:36 AM   #51
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: An unbelievable story: More Gated Community Nonsense

Damn, sounds good! Is this your T-Day dinner? If so, can I come over and join you?
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2002, 08:46 AM   #52
12er
Founding Member

Being a mountain biker I know why the horse restrictions are in place. We have the same fights here in CA. Most of us are irresponsible pr!cks when it comes to riding on horse trails. We love to bomb down hills at 45mph not paying any never mind to the saddled few. That or just wheelie on by without getting off and walking our bikes passed the horse in question. Unfortunately when you scare the hell out of a horse and it bucks off its very affluent rider hell will be raised and we will lose.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:07 AM   #53
itchface
Founding Member

Uh... I meant that they're the "scourge of the earth, not "scurge." I don't know if "scurge" has a meaning, but if it's a bad thing then Republicans are that too.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:41 AM   #54
rsheidler
Founding Member

I think you are on track here. Based on my observation, these communities are mostly elitist snobs who probably would ban pickup trucks and non-luxury cars if they could get away with it. Loud pipes are probably not the primary issue. As someone else suggested, if noise was the issue, they could impose a noise level ordnance, and provided that it was a reasonable standard, we would not be having this discussion.

A few years back, I lived in a Park City UT condo complex that had similar rules -- they would give you $hit for having a camper or a motorcycle/snowmobile trailer etc. They tried to ban outdoor barbeques, tried to impose design standards for patio furniture, window blinds etc. It is clear that the objective was to convey a solid, upper-middle-class image of the community. A lot of these rules were imposed AFTER we moved in.

My approach was to run for office in the homeowners association and to encourage like-minded neighbors to do the same. Usually there are not that many people who actually want to take responsibility, so we effectively ran unopposed and controlled the board.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:41 AM   #55
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I would 100% agree with your position, except for the fact that these were not horse trails. They were multi-use trails that allowed horses, hikers, XC skiiers and bikes. Of all those catagories the horse riders were the overwhelming minority, while the bikes were the overwhelming majority. The largest number users were confined to a small part of the park, while the smallest number of users got most of the park. Like you said and I said, it's just rich azzholes throwing their weight around.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:08 AM   #56
badinfluence
Founding Member

Well, I'm a college educated Democrat that wears boxer shorts, owns a Honda Accord and drinks light beer. So I guess we better not ride together...

But I agree about noise. It doesn't matter if it is the ear bleed rumbling of a Harley or the screaming of an R6 at 14,000 RPM, 100 dB+ exhausts on bikes are pissing others off and making stupid rules like motorcycle bans on certain roads and neighborhoods possible.

It is time that some motorcyclists learn to be considerate of others and not run straight pipes or the loudest muffler(s) they can find. And its time for the motorcycle exhaust industry to step-up and start working on some viable, horsepower producing mufflers that near or match the 80 dB limit the government mandates. I'm sure a cop wouldn't pull you over for 85 dB, but 100 db+ is crazy. Its not needed.
badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:16 AM   #57
rsheidler
Founding Member

I am also a mountain biker. While I agree that some mountainbikers are irresponsible pricks, I think it is an onfair generalization to say that most of us are. At least, I do not find that to be the case in the areas where I ride.

I also have noted some pretty irresponsible actions on the part of horseback riders. For example, where I used to ride (on the property of a Utah ski resort) several trails are marked "bicycles only" for certain days, and some are marked "one way" so bicyclists can blast downhill without worrying about meeting someone coming uphill just around a blind corner, yet I frequently encountered horseback riders (usually the same group) coming uphill on the bicycle only trail. A couple of times, I had to crash to avoid hitting them.

Unfortunately, it does not take irresponsible actions by more than a small number to screw it up for the majority -- just like certain ski areas not allowing snowboarders, because a small number of them are rude and irresponsible.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:23 AM   #58
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Liberals for property rights!

Liberals for property rights! Great slogan, gotta remember that for future use
Old 11-27-2002, 10:28 AM   #59
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Where IS the Highwayman?

Where is the Highwayman when we really need him? Oh yeah, Johnny Burns is in Spain -- this supports the view that the Highwayman is really JB's alter ego!
Old 11-27-2002, 10:34 AM   #60
seruzawa
The Toad

Sorry, itchy. I ain't a republican either. That's what you get for engaging in two-dimensional thinking.

Just call them all republicrats.