Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-21-2002, 06:08 AM   #21
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: USMC Diesel Motorcycle

Here's the hybrid article
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2002, 06:13 AM   #22
banda
Founding Member

Default Re:Marine can't shred tricycle tire

You'd think, but my Husky has a cush drive.

I originally bought it just to have something different to ride on the street. I did a lot of backroads riding with my sportbike buddies, so the pace and conditions were the same as when I was on my CBR, but my rear tire started showing cords at 2700 miles.

Lately I'm only riding my 'motard in amateur competitions, so tire life is measured in hours.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:22 AM   #23
yamamullen
Founding Member

Well that confirms it, the Kaw is truly the end of the world motorcycle!!
yamamullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 AM   #24
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Right

To get to 30 mph in first gear with ordinary tires of about 6 ft circumference requires a wheel rpm of 5280*30/6/60=440 rpm, so the overall gearing would be 440/295=1.49:1. 160 lb-ft * 1.49 = 304 ft-lb torque at the rear wheel. Since the wheel radius is very close to 1 ft, that's 304 lb of thrust which is a lot less than most of the bikes we're riding.

Any thrust less than the weight of the bike with rider is insufficient to break the rear tire loose on pavement, but may be enough to do it in dirt. That's why lower powered motards can shred tires anyway.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:36 AM   #25
jmeyn
Founding Member

Because of state-of-the art silencers having nothing to do with attributes of deisel engines.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:38 AM   #26
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

Default Re: We did in WWII

Our army used motorcycles in the European theater in WWII. My elderly neighbor was one of the motorcycle dispatch guys. He has told me stories of the stunts he used to do to entertain the troops; Riding wheelies, jumping stuff, standing on the seat, etc.
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:41 AM   #27
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re:Torque Vs. HP

Torque is the potential to make power, you need movement (RPM) to actually make power. My favorite way to remember this is a line I heard years ago; "1000 pounds of torque at 0 RPM will not pull the skin off a grape". Unless you want to spend a bunch of money finding or building this engine you'll have to trust the experts (I'm not a tire engineer or even an ME, I'm just repeating what I've read and observed) 9 HP isn't going to spin a tire.

Lets put it another way, if we assume roughly 250 HP at 15,000 RPM the RC211V probably makes about 87 pound feet of torque at its power peak. I would guess it makes 100 to 110 at its torque peak. That is little more than half the engine we have been talking about. Any guess as to which is harder on tires?

I can't say for sure why your bike is hard on tires but the Squid above has a point. No cushion in the drive train, rough power deliver (I'm assuming a big single), aggressive riding and sticky tires would lead to pretty short tire life.

Cheers,

SlowBear

PS. Note change of title. The Marines I have known can shred tires, if pressed they might do it with their teeth.
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:53 AM   #28
pbx
Founding Member

If I recall correctly from the Cycle World article, peak power output was about half of a stock (gasoline) KLR.

A diesel Rokon would be cool...

If diesel motorcycles became more common we'd start seeing people running them on biodiesel or vegetable oil. How about a fryer-grease-powered tour of North American fast food franchises? Go across the US from burger joint to burger joint, then head north and come back going from Tim Horton's to Tim Horton's.
pbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:58 AM   #29
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Street use

Conventional Diesels lost out to gasoline long ago, largely because ignition timing can't be controlled precisely at high rpm, which limits horsepower potential. Direct Injection (DI) technology permits timing of the fuel delivery and precise mixture control which effectively removes the rpm barrier.

Here's a bike that uses a DI Diesel operating within it's efficient range, coupled to an electric motor/generator to give normal performance at extraordinary fuel mileage figures.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #30
sqidbait
Founding Member

A 100mpg KLR ( with the standard size tank ) would make a very good bike for my trip to Alaska...

What are the chances of Kawasaki optioning the engine, and putting the bike in production?

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote