Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-21-2002, 01:59 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Default How about a Diesel CR500?

Somewhere in my stuff I have a brochure that shows a dieselized CR500 concept bike that was developed for the same set of requirements. This was done about 5 years ago and demonstrated at Quantico. Power output was in the 45-55 HP range, and obviously, would kick any dieselized KLR's butt. Interesting what our military product development yields.

FWIW, we are the only military power that doesn't make extensive use of motorcycles. All the European armies, and even the Canadians, have many motorcycles for dispatch, communications and scout duty.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2002, 02:40 AM   #12
nbabcock
Founding Member

Default Re: USMC Diesel Motorcycle

Jane's has a video of a diesel here:

http://www.janes.com/defence/land_fo...otorbike.shtml

(the link may be broken up - you may have to cut and paste the peices into your browser)
nbabcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:36 AM   #13
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Yup

Been reading about it for some time on the KLR list. The military has standardized on diesel fuel. They had to keep a few barrels of gasoline around for the recon/courier bikes which was a logicistical hassle, and the increased flammability of gasoline over diesel was considered an unnecessary risk.

Considering the KLR has always been about reliable, low-tech, low-end grunt and never about fast acceleration or horsepower, I don't think the bike sounds too bad.

desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:54 AM   #14
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: How about a Diesel CR500?

Our air force has a bunch of motorcycles. Really.

The forward controllers use them. They're the Air Force equivalent of special forces, travelling behind enemy lines to recon and target stuff.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:01 AM   #15
banda
Founding Member

Default Re:Marine can't shred tricycle tire

Really? According to tire manufacturers, the bikes that are hardest on tires are the ones with the highest torque to weight ratios.

I have some annecdotal evidence to support that: My supermotard barely makes 45 hp, but it shreds rear tires twice as fast as the street bikes I have owned.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:02 AM   #16
banda
Founding Member

Yeah, the H is silent.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:08 AM   #17
ZR-7
Founding Member

Ditto. I think many other have published the same story over and over again.
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:28 AM   #18
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re:Marine can't shred tricycle tire

The supermotard style is particularly hard on tires, but I think the lack of a cush drive on most of 'em (KTM street models excepted) is also a major contributor. My CR250 makes 45 rwhp/32 lb-ft torque, and is downright abusive on tires. Or maybe that's my penchant for 4 and 5-gear hacks approaching slow corners...

And back on the topic...diesel bikes would make interesting commuter rides. I can't help thinking you'd smell rather strongly of diesel after a few miles on one, though.
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:10 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't let the USDOT or EPA find out what kind of mileage these diesel bikes get. Or else we'll have mandated diesel road bikes by 2010.

Imagine CBXX's with 60HP and 220ft/lbs of torgue. Even your Honda GoldWing may become a wheelie king. All while gettinbg 74mpg.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:45 AM   #20
davyt
Founding Member

The spec sheet for the M1030M1 (and this is hardly news, by the way) is at

<a>http://www.drive.cranfield.ac.uk/rmcsbike.pdf</a>

Power output is rated at 24HP (18kW).

Someone mentioned the commuting possibilities: the specified range for the M1030M1 is 400 miles (650km) on less than 4 U.S. gallons (14 l) of fuel.

Staying on the commuting thread, there was an article posted here (not that you can find it now) recently about a hybrid motorcycle that used a direct injection diesel engine: more info at

<a>http://www.ecycle.com/powersports/hybrid.htm</a>

--

Davy
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote