Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #1
Yeah_right
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle accidents, fatalities on the rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older R

>They say riders drive while drunk, and indeed alcohol was involved in 109 of the 365 accidents<

It's amazing how riding while drunk, will make those older Harley riders become statistics, when a-hole SUV drivers are slightly distracted while staring at their GPS screens, talking on the phone, changing diapers, eating breakfast and reading the newspaper. At least one of two people has to be straight, paying attention and skilled enough to take the actions needed to avoid occupying the same piece of real estate at the same time. Since motorcycles are going to lose 10 out of 10 accidents, that falls squarely on our shoulders. The right of way and who's at fault don't mean sh*t when you're dead.
Yeah_right is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2002, 01:53 PM   #2
kaber0111
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Drive like your invisible, NO MATTER WHAT you see and never trust anyone on the road.

and 'learn' to drive agressivly, tis the safest way.

you can't be defensive when everyone around you is a tank.

cheers.

a.) never let them see you bleed.

b.) always have an escape plan.

kaber0111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
kaber0111
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle accidents, fatalities on the rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older R

Amen.

get flicked off by whoever behind you, and get cussed off, etc..

but your the one that is alive.

I hate motorcycler's that get pissed of cause agressive drivers give them "bad names".

a.) be safe

b.) drive like your invisible.

"we had the right of way"

lol

kaber0111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 02:03 PM   #4
donaldbroc
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

I figure I need to stay with in my boundries while out and about, not saying I don't drink at all when I go for a putt, friday nights, 2 beers, per hour, no more than 24 hours, ya get the meaning. I would rather be seen than viewed, I had a close one the other day, Glad I was clear and covering my brakes, I figure everyone is pointing at me, someone will pull the trigger now and then..

Glad to be riding in Oregon....

Let it rain, Let it rain

Don B

Corvallis

r1150rt

xr650r

2000 xr 650r
2000 sv 650
Moto Guzzi v50 III
Yamaha 490
78/79 rm 125\'s
2001xr250r
kraft tech frame and motor built in garage
donaldbroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 02:38 PM   #5
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

I hate to do it because I shouldn't have to, but I ride with my throttle hand index and middle finger on the brakes at all times. Sometimes you have to drive like everyone is out to get you.

Story:

I met this beautiful woman a few years back. It was my buddies sister that just came into town from Kentucky. She saw my R6 and wanted me to take her for a ride because she had never been on a bike. She asked was it safe and I told her how "safe and defensive" I drive, so she agreed to overcome her fear and take a ride with me. AS SOON AS WE PULLED OUT OF THE SUB DIVISION and had just about passed the next neighborhood, a lady in a Lincoln town car had pulled out right in front of me. Luckily, as always, I was ready with my hand riding the front brake and did a 40-0mph in what seemed like 1 second. She ended up smacking her helmet into mine so violently she nearly fell of the bike and had a light headache. Needless to say she never wanted to ride again. Had to take her out in the Civic but I am glad to have survived.

I have seen riders I was riding with, in front of my own eyes, T-bone cars that "didn't see them". It's sad that cage drivers don't pay more attention.

When I drive my car, I give motorcycle riders more space than they deserve. I see them.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:00 PM   #6
fujinator
Founding Member

I'm an MSF instructor in WA, and I always tell my students two rules:

1) Ride like everyone else is out to get you, because THEY ARE!!!

2) You can be right, or you can be "dead" right.

I see more and more distracted drivers *not* see other *cars*. Is it any wonder that drivers are *not* seeing bikes?
fujinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:28 PM   #7
TheBob
Founding Member

I haven't been riding for very long (~2 months), and as such I really don't have enough experience to shame others, but I thought I'd point out one thing that I've noticed...

Drivers that hit motorcyclists always say they didn't see the biker. I doubt that's totally true. I almost saw I guy bite the big one the other day, and even though the guy in the SUV *SHOULD* have seen him coming, the motorcyclist wasn't stacking the deck in his favor:

Motorcycles are harder to see, but even with a modulator (or geeky orange vest, neon sign, whatever) the one thing you have to remember is that it is extremly difficult for the average car driver to estimate your approach speed. It has to do with the fact that they only have your single (or closely spaced double) headlight to judge your distance. If you compound that difficulty with the fact that you ARE NOT riding at the speed limit, it's no wonder that some distracted fool in a cage will turn right in front of you.

Back to the dude I almost watch die...

We were both at a red light, each having split lanes of a 3-lane street. The light turned green and the other guy SMOKED me off the line. He didn't let off either. Just kept going, maybe hit 60+mph on a 30mph road... Some guy in an SUV was trying to turn left into a parking lot to our right. He thought he had the space and time, and made his turn. El Squiddo hit the brakes so hard I could see the bike dive and the back wheel slide.

So yeah, buddy SUV driver shouldn't have gone, but think about it: If he saw the bike, and figured he had plenty of distance before the bike reached him, why not try and turn before the traffic arrived? You can't expect someone who's never ridden a bike to really understand how fast they can accelerate and get up to speed.

Just food for thought,

~TheBob

TheBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

Thanks, KPaul! You're my man!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:43 PM   #9
Captain_1
Founding Member

Unfortunately many American drivers view driving as a completely passive activity. Their fashion accessory cage is a rolling phone booth complete with dual make-up mirrors, DVD video screens, and enough cup holders for a soccer team. Worse yet, they are preoccupied with their very important lives, late for an appointment or to pick up the kids. Do you really think they are going to SEE a motorcyclist? Be seen brother, loud pipes save lives. Don't forget the protective clothing including boots and gloves.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #10
tgo63
Founding Member

many riders die because of their poor skills and lack of imagination. Two week ago in my south texas town the 23 year old run the red light, hit the grand am that rotated 180 degree upon the impact. The rider died instantly. The driver and the passanger of the car, little girl, were in critical condition. There are more and more motorcycle clubs in my area, who ride on city street in big groups way to fast, often unorganized, attracting attention of local PD. I went to ride once with one of these 'extreme sport bikes' group and it was first and the last time. We all blame the drivers of the cars but sometime we have to look at the mirror...
tgo63 is offline   Reply With Quote