Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-04-2002, 08:00 AM   #61
lu955i
Founding Member

Default Re: A radio ad campaign

Sounds great. So can't we do something about this?
lu955i is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2002, 08:10 AM   #62
lu955i
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Umm yeah........fruit.

Let me guess.....Extrusion?
lu955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:11 AM   #63
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

I'm 48 and have been riding since I was 14. I have a couple of observations. First, it isn't that hard to miss seeing a bike on the road. The other day, I was driving my Dodge Ram pickup. I came to a T- intersection, stopped, looked left and looked right, saw nothing and pulled out in front of another Dodge Ram pick up. I was so shaken at not seeing him I followed him to his house to apologize and he said he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and thought that I was pulling out in front of him because he was slowing down and that I had ample time to pull out. Sure, I've done that sort of thing a bunch of times. In reality though, I never saw him. How in the hell to you look-for-and-not-see a huge pick up truck? Hidden in the windshield pillar? I don't know. But I sure do look closer now.

The other observation is that us "over 40" folks are not the same agile young critters we were in our teens. Hopefully, we have more sense but we also have diminished reflexes, dimished eye sight, deminished strength and diminished flexability. Put that togher with a 700 lb cruiser bike and a 20 year hiatus from the sport and you get some pretty ugly scenes.

Please look and see both ways, practice your skills before taking to the road and try to get back into shape. And please wear bright clothes, get a pulsing head and tail light and what ever else you can think of to be seen. I hope to be seeing you for a long time yet to come.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:31 AM   #64
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Work them stats!!

ApriliaScooters look better because they are styled by Italians.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:42 AM   #65
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Never Ever Drink and Ride

As a commercial pilot I can say you are correct. However, if you research this you will find that after a *couple* beers reaction time actually increases; as alcohol is initially an 'upper', but very quickly becomes a depressant. Unfortunately, sound JUDGEMENT disappears immediately. Poor decision making, alcohol induced or otherwise, creates situations where you are required to use superior skill to survive; Skill which, if possessed, can’t be used effectively if you've been drinking. It is the ability to make sound judgements (sometimes quickly) that can save your life. Just look at John Denver

A pilot's motto: "Superior pilots use superior judgement to avoid the need for superior skill."

True of riding, true of flying, true of life.

gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:50 AM   #66
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Right on.

I've tried to explain that to some folks before who just didn't get it. I actually had one nimrod tell me that anyone who stepped out or pulled out in front of him causing an accident, while he was doing 100 mph in a 25 mph zone in a park, would be just as responsible as he was. Now, its true that the person entering a roadway has the duty to check for traffic before doing so, but nobody can be reasonably expected to anticipate a vehicle doing 4 times the posted limit.

Now less extreme is the case where you're doing say 60 mph in a 30 mph zone, but the driver who's considering pulling out in front of you isn't anticipating that. And as you say, it is difficult to judge the speed of an oncoming bike. This is why it is important to approach intersections, and other locations where cars might turn in front of you, at a reasonable speed.

Now as for the idiots who just don't see you at all, maybe the neon vests and headlight modulators would help.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:19 AM   #67
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Work them stats!!

Good points. I've also wondered where the beginner bikes are that aren't BOR-ING. Doesn't have to be a real high performance bike, just look like it.

We did get a new model of Ninja 250 here in Canada. Actually I think they're calling it the EX250. Engine's about the same, but they updated to a twin-spar aluminum frame and 17" wheels at both ends. Has styling in common with the ZZR line. It is a bit on the pricey side, though.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:33 AM   #68
GSXR866
Founding Member

Hey, i don't know about you but i can't remember the last time i saw 5 or 6 people standing on the side of the road waving yellow flags to warn me about a hazardous condition ahead. Or another person waving a flag to tell me there was a 4 wheeled emergency vehicle ahead to watch out for since its path may not be in the same direction as mine, and i know for sure i've never seen men with speedy-dry and brooms rush out onto the street to clean up a spill that could cause my motorcycle to lose traction.

These are all very common and welcome occurences for a motorcyclist during a weekend of racing or simple track riding. On the street you're on your own and your at the mercy of everyone else meeting the state's minimum requirement to operate a 3000+ pound vehicle which can be pointed in any direction at any time regardless of you. Because of this inherently dangerous situation, laws obviously must be created to limit the carnage and the effect of that is that motorcyclists must operate within those laws as well which brings whatever sport there is in "riding" down to a level of passive transportation. Not to mention the most dangerous form of boring transportation at that. Hate to tell you but there is no such thing as "safe streets" for motorcyclists, never was, never will be.

Maybe your family will benefit from a law suit against an insurance company AFTER you've become a hood ornament on the front of a Denali but even that is unlikely due to the level of sympathy the courts have for injured or killed riders these days and I'm sure it won't make up for their loss anyhow.

Have fun taking your chances riding straight up and down between the lines while looking over your shoulder for dangerous drivers, i've got my eyes on the next corner.

PS I hope you never see a drunk driver at a stop light deliberately drive around the car in front of her and then right on through a red light and smack into a gold wing dismembering and killing both rider and passenger. Oooh but there are laws and education that are gonna prevent that.....riiiiiiiight
GSXR866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:51 AM   #69
ZRXRy
Founding Member

As someone else recently pointed out on another site, the excuse "I didn't see it" is not at all acceptable in court for red lights or stop signs, so I don't know why it's acceptable for bikes. When someone says that, the first question the prosecutor asks should be "Why not?"
Old 10-04-2002, 10:03 AM   #70
gforces
Founding Member

I don't think we're talking about eliminating the dangers of accidents...that's impossible so long as humans are behind the wheel. The key word is "reduce".

-Readily accessible MSF classes = smarter riders

-Motorcycle awareness campaigns = smarter drivers

Do you call M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) a bunch of whiners? How about the American Lung Association? or how about the union you belong to? Criticism is what leads to action, so stop being an a$$hole and try to contribute instead of shooting everyone down. Didn't Mummy and Doddy love you enough when you were a child?
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote