Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-04-2002, 07:43 AM   #51
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

Default Re: LOUD PIPES

Loud pipes can only be heard by cars that are beside or behind you. So I think they protect you when you're in a cars blind spot. Oncoming cars can't hear them though. A large portion of motorcycle fatalities come from oncoming traffic making a left turn in front of you.
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2002, 07:49 AM   #52
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Grand Am

This is off subject, but never buy a Grand Am. I can't believe that the occupants of the car were injured by a motorcycle! I have a friend that is a firefighter that said that every serious accident that he has been to that involved a Grand Am had fatalities. The car just crushes into a little ball.
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 07:59 AM   #53
safetyman
Founding Member

Default Re: visibility accessories.

As for where to buy a headlight modulator first and foremost ask your local dealer. If they give you that open-mouthed, half-lidded, dull stare of ignorance, try looking on-line. I have the headlight mod and the tail-light one on my Road King and, so far, I haven't had any "Oh S--t!" scenarios. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. I have had people notice it and comment on it--being noticed is the point. The local HD dealer had not heard of these things until my inquiry (5/2000) and I was told that I was the first to have one installed at their dealership. They kind of chuckled about it, but better to laugh than to die. I have not yet put one on my F650GS (shame on me), although the BMW dealer has them available and I plan on it sooner than later. As for affecting the life of the headlight, I have 5000 miles plus on it and have had no problems. It is activated by a light sensor and, yes, it stops at dusk. Mine does however, blink at night when I hit the horn.
safetyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:02 AM   #54
GSXR866
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Why doesn't everyone stop whining about distracted ignorant SUV drivers that aren't going to go away and just wake up and realize that there is no place for motorcycles on the road. You simply cannot survive an accident with an SUV, or even a Kia for that matter, if said vehicle is going a different direction then you..... and I hate to break it to everyone but your "advanced" or "experienced" riding ability is no match for the extent of someone else's stupidity and I don't care who you are, what you ride, or what state-of-the-art gear you wear.

My advise, quit crying about dangerous distracted drivers, sell your "street bike," buy yourself an SUV, and tow a competant motorcycle to a racetrack where it belongs.

You can gripe and complain about worsening road conditions but it all comes down to the fact that its survival of the fittest out on the road whether there are laws or not. Anyone who decides to do battle with a 2 ton distracted vehicle on a motorcycle should face the reality of what they are attempting instead of hiding behind their "right" for the streets to be safe for all.
GSXR866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:13 AM   #55
KPaulCook
Banned

Default More tips from Dave Wendell

Dave was my instructor for the MSF class.[*]One of things he suggested is that folks practice stops etc in a parking lot. When I first bought my bike, I practiced several weeks at one of the MSF ranges (a large Boeing parking lot). It has paid off a couple times.
[*] If you don't want to wear bright clothes get a bright colored bike like yellow or kawa green
[*] Use the right lane, on multi-lane roads, because it has a built in escape route the shoulder. I don't always do this if there is a carpool lane

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:15 AM   #56
vfrpinckney
Founding Member

Default Re: visibility accessories.

For cruiser riders: A great excuse to accessorize your ride is to get a light bar up front. Bikes that run this set-up are much more noticeable from a distance.

Other bikes: Moto-lights (or even some cheap driving lights mounted on crash bars--if you have 'em) serve a similar function--having lights spaced further apart makes you much more of a "presence" on the road. YMMV
vfrpinckney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:20 AM   #57
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Unsafe Sales...

Really, so you're saying you get a lot of repeat business and service work done on wrecked motorcycles by scared or dead riders? Think about it.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:27 AM   #58
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Work them stats!!

Excellent Post. My wife wants to start but she hates the looks of the Kawa 250 and 500. You are right if Kawa updated the styling and put the 250 in a bigger frame it would work to get her to buy.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:27 AM   #59
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Re: What a great idea!

Your experience with the Yamaha class sounds interesting. I agree that it would be a good idea if the manufacturers got something going like that again....buy a bike and get a class type thing.

My point on the sales comment is that the class you mentioned from your own experience happened AFTER you had bought the bike. The guy I know who took the Harley course wasn't in the market for a Harley but was forced to "go back to the showroom" with the rest of the group on breaks and receive a review of each model, complete with "Go ahead, sit on it" instructions, etc. I understand there's nothing wrong with this, although some may not be into it.

Nonetheless, kudos to HD for coming up with the idea to begin with. Whether their ultimate motivation was to sell more bikes or teach people how to ride doesn't matter...at least they are doing something. The guy told me about the drills, etc. and it sounded like standard MSF stuff...although helmets were optional. Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:40 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Right on! The hell with safe streets! Quit while you are ahead folks. Forget the laws and education crap. Get off the street and stay off. Quit hiding behind your silly right to use the roads and get to a race track pronto! And if you don't like that option, get the hell out of the country too, and stay out. There, that shoud take care of you "whiners".