Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-04-2002, 03:06 AM   #31
lu955i
Founding Member

Default Re: Unsafe Sales...

I guess I see your point. You cant protect people from themselves anyway. They have to assume responsibility. People over-buy things all of the time. More then they need, more then they can handle.

lu955i is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2002, 03:23 AM   #32
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default KPaul transformation and other observations...

What an interesting transformation we have all witnessed over the past several months. KPaul has gone from a rogue instigator to a relatively level-headed contributor to the group. Is that maturity I detect? The "Most Reformed Poster" award for 2002 goes to you, KPaul, for sure.

Regarding rider safety, the axioms remain the same...don't drink and ride, wear protective gear, strive for conspicuity, maintain a balance of defense AND offense in your riding, etc. These concepts are common knowledge to motorcyclists who make an honest effort to educate themselves and ride safely.

However, I am continually amazed at how many entry-level riders make no attempt to educate themselves on safety. What's downright tragic in my eyes is that those who DO want to learn more usually investigate MSF classes, only to find them booked. Only the super-vigilant are able to slip through the registration door when it is cracked in the spring. As a result, I think that MANY new riders who would take an MSF course don't and that sucks. An effort should be made to make these classes more readily available to newbies. Safe riding is a mindset and "getting them early" can't hurt.

On the other hand, there are some you just can't help. A guy I know (50 years old) just bought his first motorcycle this spring...a brand new Night Train. Before he took delivery, I spent at least an hour with him showing him my safety gear, reviewing different motorcycle publications for safety articles, touting MSF, etc. I even gave him my MSF Beginner and Experienced course manuals and a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. After all that, I saw him one month later and both he and his wife were sporting burns on their calves from that shiny new Harley exhaust. Riding in shorts was the explanation. They then went on to tell of a recent ride where they downed a few with fellow riders. He hasn't gotten around to getting a helmet yet.

What a waste of my f*****g time. How ironic that he fits the latest death statistics like a glove...
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:48 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Hard to figure

Hard one to figure why deaths are up. 75% of the car drivers(not just SUV's) aren't paying attention combined with 75% of the riders that ride like crap or are drunk, and we have a rise in fatalities? Boy, who would figure that one? The license test here in Illinois is so lame, a 5 year old could pass easily. Watching most riders around Chicago, I wonder why the stats aren't worse. Wrong lane, wrong spot, and wrong speed are the major ones along with no training, no experience, and no attention span. I have known so many people who suddeny get "intersted" in motorcycling, and they all want a fast or big bike. When they ask what they should buy I tell em to "buy an old 350 or smaller and get lessons from a pro. Then if you survive for 1 year riding almost every day, go out and buy what you want." Almost all didn't listen, and most crashed, got hurt, and no longer ride. Nothing has changed in my 35 years of riding in that most people don't want to learn to ride. They just want to twist the throttle and the hell with the rest. Braking, lane position, scanning, proper speed and gear selection? What are those? Education and MSF courses are the way to go in my opinion. Maybe stepped licenses also. Move up catagories as skill increases, which allows a bigger or faster bike. Also, being drunk on a bike is a death sentence. Stooooopid.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:06 AM   #34
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default visibility accessories.

A couple years ago I went riding w/ some guys that I mostly didn't know. One of them on a CB1000 had this cool flasher thing on his brake light. It went blink..blink..FLASH.. blink.. blink..FLASH whenever he grabbed brake. It was very effective at drawing my attention. I asked him about it and he told me it was a "Back Off" module. I put one on my FJ, and haven't been rear-ended since. (or before, but it can't hurt

Now I see these newer goldwings with blinking headlights (modulators). I notice those things coming from a mile off. Anybody recommend a brand or where to buy one? Also, how do they work? is there a switch that changes it from flash to on, or does it have a light sensor that makes it stop at dusk? wonder how it affects the life of your headlight.

I'm not so sure about the "loud pipes saving lives" thing, (although I have fairly loud aftermarket pipes too, but just because I like the sound) but the flashing lights are definite eye catchers. Especially the headlight.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:09 AM   #35
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Car drivers will not stop "not seeing" motorcyclists until we enter into their awareness. And it shouldn't be our responsiblility not to have our right of way impeded, by wearing hi-viz apparel. I've said it before and I'll say it again---if car drivers actually start getting thrown in jail for vehicular homicide like they should, they would become a lot more aware of us on the road. The fault is on the judicial system---without negative feedback for comitting such crimes, there's no incentive for car drivers to change.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:14 AM   #36
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Of course the other point made in the article, but probably missed by non-motorcyclists is this: at least they "see" the riders who are riding too fast and weaving in and out of traffic. I commuted to Boston from York ME by bike for a while (until I lost count of all the close calls), and inevitably if I was driving sane, i.e. invisible, I would always get almost hit by some jerk merging into my lane, pulling in front of me, or pushing me into a guardrail. Whenever I was riding "aggressively" I would be seen and stood a much better chance of reacting to idiots.

This sh]t gets me soooooo heated up. Grrr.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:34 AM   #37
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Headlight modulators and stuff

I have a headlight modulator on my bike from Kisan Technologies. Here's a link:

www.kisantech.com

They also sell flashing light stuff for your tail/brake light. The headlight modulator works on the high beam setting and rapidly oscillates from almost full high beam power to almost no illumination from your healight. It "cycles" something like six times a second...the website will tell you for sure. The low beam is not affected and there is a light sensor that disables the modulator in the dark (it will cease operating during tunnels and while traveling under large overpasses). This allows you to have "normal" beam operation at night.

Although some have cautioned that modulators can be bad for your electrical system, I've had mine for three years with zero problems. I don't think it negatively impacts bulb life, but if it does, I don't really care...a new bulb every so often is cheaper than hospital bills. Another concern expressed by riders is that it may ***** off the cagers around you. I've yet to have this experience. The modulator actually gives the appearance that there is "something wrong" with your headlight, and I've actually had surrounding drivers go out of their way in the spirit of good citizenship to notify me that it isn't operating properly.

Obviously, like most things in life, you must use some discretion. Avoid sitting behind someone in stopped traffic with it running, but don't forget to turn it back on. It also is important to remember that it is just a safety "supplement" and in no way replaces good old fashioned scanning and safe riding vigilance.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:38 AM   #38
Closet_Bad_Ass
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul transformation and other observations...

First, I agree with your comments about the maturation of KPaul.

Second, the problem with the shortage of available MSF courses is our own fault. And by "our", I mean experienced riders. We need more experienced riders to become certified instructors. Unfortunately, from what I hear, this is not a pleasant process.

Third, instead of the AMA paying lobbyists to have helmet laws revoked maybe they should be running ad campaigns alerting the public as to our existence. A radio ad campaign would be great since that is when people would be most likely to associate the need for motorcycle awarness with the fact that there are motorcycles on the road.
Closet_Bad_Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:56 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

While it's true that many cage drivers don't "see" motorcycles, it is equally true that if they do hit a biker they know that they only have to claim that they didn't see the guy and thus can avoid a vehicular homicide charge.

I have seen far too many people look me right in the eye and then pull out right in front of me forcing me to avoid a collision.

A good change would be to require investigating officers to only consider right-of-way in accident investigations. Also it would be good to make the excuse "I didn't see him" inadmissible in court. Once the cagers realize they can't get away with murder with that excuse it may change things. Until then they will continue to make that claim.

A friend of mine who is an attorney told me that defense attorneys often coach their clients to make that claim even when they DID see the bike they hit. That excuse is nearly a free pass.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:04 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

If these over 40 guys who are just starting out were buying Hayabusas and XXes they would probably get killed in even greater numbers than they are on the slower Harleys.