Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-03-2002, 08:14 PM   #21
hiestand
Founding Member

Default Unsafe Sales...

Friday afternoon I'm visiting one of the local bike shops I noticed a salesman pointing out the "obvious" workings of a bike to a young man. "This is the clutch, front brake, back brake, etc.." i didn't give it too much thought until Saturday morning I was washing my car in the driveway and I hear a bike coming down the street. I look up to see the kid I saw yesterday at the dealership riding his new SV650. He came to a jerky stop and stalled at the T-intersection in front of my house. He restarted the bike, grabbed a hand full of throttle, and dumped the clutch. Front wheel in the air and hanging off the bike with one hand he proceeded straight across the intersetcion flipped over the curb and tumbled close to my neighbors house before coming to a halt. I helped the kid up and began to ask him some questions. He'd never ridden before and this was his first bike. He didn't even have a license. How can you let someone off the lot without a even permit? I called the dealership and let them have it. They said they're not required to check for licensing. Blah...I'm not one to say names but.....Cycle Sports Hawaii.....Shame on you....

hiestand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2002, 08:16 PM   #22
silverr6
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Poor choice, but hey you made it right? Live and learn brother, mistakes are always forgiveable. My dad gave me the best piece of advice I've ever heard when I learned to drive a cage "Always assume the other guy is gonna do something stupid", that applies to a lot more than the road.
silverr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:24 PM   #23
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle accidents, fatalities on the rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older R

true true
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:29 PM   #24
silverr6
Founding Member

Default Re: Unsafe Sales...

As a former salesman, I have been in this position before. I sold bikes to people who had no business riding what they picked out but they left with that bike because they were insistent on buying that machine. My manager and I would do our best to get them to reconsider, but you can't really stay in business long if you start deciding who can and can't buy from you.
silverr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:37 PM   #25
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: BABs and Unscrupulous Dealers

I'm 29, and I just put a deposit down on the new CBR600RR and I'm scared enough as it is. I took the MSF class a year ago, and am thinking of taking it again, before I pick up my new bike in March. I've been doing research for over a year now, and I may be young compared to these mid-life crisis victims, but even I know never to take advice from a salesman...I guess Darwin was right
Old 10-03-2002, 08:48 PM   #26
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Work them stats!!

I'll have to agree with the article on that one. I'm not an experienced rider, but I did take a physics class once, and a 700 pd. bike versus a 370 pd. bike is gonna handle differently.

I doubt many on this forum would disagree. Also, didn't MO get the Honda VTX (1800) up to 140 pretty quickly, according to their article on it?
Old 10-04-2002, 01:22 AM   #27
900F
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Driving aggressively has kept me out of trouble with cars time and again. I think that is the reason the rates are rising so fast - too many new ( timid) riders out there.

My wife just started riding ( took the MSF class ) and after one summer, I don't think she'll ever be good at it because she is so cautious.

Being seen is the other big factor. I flash my high beams out on the highway to make cars pulling onto or across the road see me. I'm never suprised by a car pulling out in front of me or changing lanes into mine because I'm always ready for it.

Lastly, being a motorcyclist ( can I say that Burns?) makes me a better car driver too. I really look around when I'm pulling out or crossing an intersection. Even if I have the green light I always look for the guy who's going to run his red light.

I took six years off from riding and "re entered" this spring with a V Strom and a SV650. Took a two up trip with my wife from Duluth to Davenport and then on to Springfield for the "Mile". I've never enjoyed riding more.

Erik
Old 10-04-2002, 01:58 AM   #28
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Work them stats!!

I second that. I believe (read: I thought I heard somewhere but I can't remember) that more than half the newer bikes on the street are cruisers. The number of those 700cc's and down, while not exactly slim, isn't much compared to the liter-and-up braket by a good margin.

The article is awfully liberal with the use of "...these bikes are capable of going 150 miles an hour..." I'm pretty sure that MOST bikes 750cc's and up that weigh so much aren't capable of this.

"But this is America and everybody now wants a big motorcycle with up to 1500cc." Up to 1500? What da? Makes me get the inkle'n that maybe they don't know so much about bikes. Not that that's bad in itself, but it's mildly unsettling that they're using cc's as one of the main yardsticks in this, and also doesn't include the larger HD and HD clone sizes in his impress-with-large-number statement. He's a motorcycle safety guy, after all.

Obviously, a squidly fellow like myself is statistically at much higher risk of death & dismemberment on an R6 than a, what is it, 1800sumodd Fat Boy, dispite the weight.

Well, I guess all that's beyond the scope of the article, but I love ta nitpick. The statement remains:

"Take motorcycle safety training, ride defensively, don't drink..." an' all that jazz. I agree.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 02:10 AM   #29
lu955i
Founding Member

Yep pretty soon they will have a port-a-john

option in SUV's. God knows they are large enough for. Besides how often have you seen an suv filled to capacity. For that matter 9 out of 10 suv's seem to only carry one person.

What's up with that?
lu955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 02:51 AM   #30
lu955i
Founding Member

I think your right. Also there seems to be a common misconception that bigger bikes are safer. Cruisers vs. .......

In my oppinion it takes a bit more skill to get a large capacity heavy wieght machine to change direction and stop.

Just my $.02
lu955i is offline   Reply With Quote