Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-03-2002, 04:44 PM   #11
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

No wonder that 40 + year olds are leadind the way in fatalities as they are most likely the fastest growning group in motorcycling. I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that the majority of those over 40 fatalities are riders of Harleys or Harley clones, and that they have less than five years of riding experience. I've seen plenty of their ilk here in California. BTW I'm 52 and have been riding for 37 years and have owned a couple of Harleys during that time. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2002, 05:26 PM   #12
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default BABs and Unscrupulous Dealers

Over the summer, I was outside of work, gearing up for the ride home. I turned around to the street, and there was a guy standing in the 'Hey, nice bike' posture. We started chatting - he was fiftyish, I'm twentyish - and he was talking about getting back into motorcycling. He rode in the dirt 35 years ago, and he thought he'd like to get something that he and the wife could take on vacation.

Nice, I thought. A little disposable income, take a nice ling trip everynowandthen, good for you. Another biker in the ranks is never a bad thing.

I asked him what his biking style was, even though I knew the answer - in a small town in Missouri, 'motorcycle' has, unfortunately, only one meaning. But, this guy turned out to have no brand loyalty, he just wanted a cruiser.

He'd been doing the entirety of his prepurchase research at the dealerships, too. They asked what he planned on using the bike for, and when the reply came that he'd be doing some two-up touring, the helpful dealerman told this brand new rider, 'well, you'll need at least a 1200 for that.'

I appreciate that the salesman probably has mouths to feed and kids to clothe and all that, and a bigger bike means a bigger comission. Fine. But, how could this sleazeball sleep at night knowing he put a new rider on a 1200 (at least) with zero street experience? This is probably not an uncommon occurance, either.

I was so dumbfounded by this turn in the conversation that I didn't get a chance to tell this guy 'Screw the dealer. Of course he's going to try to put you on the biggest bike he can. Take the MSF. Buy a smaller bike. Wear gear,' or any of that.

Fortunately, I'm back in Chicago now, so I don't have to read of this poor guy's untimely demise in the local papers.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:29 PM   #13
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Never Ever Drink and Ride

I saw the comment earlier from one poster who commented that he might have a beer or two "at most" and putt around. That is DEADLY.

Motorcycles and alcohol just don't go together at all. It is tough enough for bikers with the four wheel plus crowd out there and the other hazards that make up the streets of any community. Alcohol is a dangerous ingredient if added into the equation.

Alcohol clouds your judgement and really, really slows down your reaction time. I just attended the funeral of one of my colleagues that did have a little bit to drink and was killed after he bounced off a utility pole and into a sign post. 37 years old, an only child he was on his second bike (a 2002 Harley Fat Boy). A slight bump going through a turn bounced Rob Greisham off his line and into a curb. He left behind his parents who were devestated by his death and a big hole in a small company that really benefited from his contributions. It simply should not have happened.

The FAA requires that pilots go eight hours bottle to throttle. Ask yourself, would you be willing to fly with Southwest, American, Delta et al if the flight crew were limited to two beers before take off? Would you fly yourself after having something to drink? Eight hours is not enough as most aviators will concede. Just don't drink and drive nor ride! It will kill you.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:36 PM   #14
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

I second this post. Mostly. Don't know about that loud pipes thing...

Anyway, I see the growing trend of cell phones, nav systems, DVD, etc, etc as a real problem. The real question is, where does it stop?

We have cell phone legislation in some states, does anyone else think that perhaps there need to be indutry-wide standards for driver distraction?
Old 10-03-2002, 05:53 PM   #15
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default Work them stats!!

Larger-engine motorcycles are more common. "People used to buy motorcycles with 350cc (cubic centimeters) or less," Wendell said. "But this is America and everybody now wants a big motorcycle with up to 1500cc." Weighing as much as 700 pounds, these motorcycles are capable of going 150 miles an hour but can be tough for the inexperienced to turn or stop safely. They're not starter bikes, and yet many newcomers are buying them — particularly older riders, because they're the ones who can afford them. In Washington state, the majority of 30- to 50-year-olds killed on motorcycles died when riding 750cc or more.

What weighs 700 pounds and goes 150 mph? Most bikes weighing that much are not geared anywhere close to that.

Tough for the inexperience rider to turn or brake? Doesn't sound like anything of modern manufacture.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #16
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default We all know the risks

We know many drivers won't see us, what will happen to us if we slide in gravel or on asphalt, what will happen if a car turns in front of us, we blow a tire, lose a bearing, hit a fixed object, or any of a hundred other things going wrong.

We all make our own decisions on whether to wear a lid, a jacket, pants, gloves, boots, whether to have a beer, or two, or three, whether to push it going through a blind corner, watch for deer at dusk, or try to keep up with a faster buddy.

Around here, I never see hot squids, but I see hundreds of cruisers with riders in tee-shirts (guess what color?), shorts, sandals, and, of course, designer sunglasses. It's their life, I wish them luck.

Jett, Arizona
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:05 PM   #17
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Never Ever Drink and Ride

Maybe I'm just reiterating the previous post in a more inelegant manner. Maybe I'm just blowing off steam. Maybe this just needs to be said.

You drink and ride, you crash, you die: you get what you deserve. Period.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:05 PM   #18
red916
Founding Member

What's a Honda GS750 look like any way?
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:15 PM   #19
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle accidents, fatalities on the rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older R

I'm hearing some good stuff here about being safe and recognizing why the riders in these stories are dead. I imagine that is why we are here to write about it and not be written about.

I rode a motorcycle in college for two years and was involved in three spills. In each instance I was "legally" in the right. However, two times it was my speed and inexperience that contributed to the accident as well. Had I been doing what many of you have stated here I seriously doubt two of the accidents would have occured and possibly the third. Young and dumb.

Some rules to ride by?

1. Ride defensively. Think of the worse that could happen in a situation and plan on it happening.

2. Take an MSF course and other training courses. They are fun and educational.

3. Ride within your limits and ride a bike within your limits.

4. Wear good quality gear- ALWAYS. What you choose to wear now is what you will slide across tha asphalt in later.

5. Don't drink- period.

6. Use your bike to pick-up chicks. If you follow rules 1 - 5 you can get them back to your place safe and in good shape for the only other thing as fun as riding.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:39 PM   #20
Hair_Helmet
Founding Member

Sorry to say I have driven while intoxicated to the legal limit on a motorcycle... The one per hour thing might be safe for a 4 wheeled machine.... But on a motorcycle it scared the hell out of me.