Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-07-2002, 06:13 AM   #151
spdwyrcrII
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

One a cycle, right or wrong, you lose. You have to assume everyone's out to get you (they are) and keep your eyes moving (like a fighter pilot).
spdwyrcrII is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2002, 06:13 AM   #152
spdwyrcrII
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

One a cycle, right or wrong, you lose. You have to assume everyone's out to get you (they are) and keep your eyes moving (like a fighter pilot).
spdwyrcrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:57 AM   #153
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Stepped Licenses

Hmmmm.

When my company transferred me from Colorado to Washington in 1989, I had to re-test even though I had been riding (and had a Colorado MC endorsement)for 12 years, and at that time they had the stepped license. I got transferred again shortly after, so don't know what changed, but I know when my sister moved up from her 500 Virago to a 1200 Bandit (!) several years ago, she had to retest.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:50 PM   #154
sarnali
Founding Member

we heard you the first 3 times, homes
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:18 AM   #155
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: couple other points for you to think about....

I think if my Congress(wo)man managed to pass a law where a person in a car who negligently kills another driver, biker, cyclist, equestrian, or pedestrian received a mandatory 10 year minimum in jail, I'm pretty confident it would make a lot more people pay greater attention to what is going on around them. All it would take is one or two sensational newstories about a grandma or SUV-driving, cell-phone using soccer mom doing hard time for killing bikers to get people paying much more attention to their driving...
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:40 PM   #156
sailforfun15
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul transformation and other observations...

This type of thing happens quite regularly. I live in Houston where the roads are terrible, the drivers are even worse, and most vehicles are SUVs with one occupant. Just a few months ago, the co-owners of Houston Honda motorcycles were killed by a hit and run driver while they were riding their bicycles in a designated bike lane. About a month ago, an experienced bicyclist was killed when two drivers vying for a single lane pushed an off-duty policemen's car into the cyclist. When I ride my bicycle I always wear a yellow helmet and a hi-viz jersey. I know that drivers have seen me because of this. In nearly every case where a motorist hits a cyclist, the motorist is not cited. In many cases, the cyclist (who was not at fault) is actually cited.

I just took the MSF course and plan to buy a motorcycle soon. I spent many years as a child riding dirtbikes, so this will be my first streetbike. As such, I am very concerned about safety. I'm amazed at the lack of conspicuous gear available. Most gear comes in black or red--two of the worst colors for visibility. With this type of gear on the market, its no wonder that bikers are not more visible.

I have also found that dealers try to push me into bigger, higher bikes. I have a 28 inch inseam and would really like to get a standard bike, but most are too big. As I'm straddling bikes on my tip-toes most salesmen have said that I could handle the bike just fine. I don't think so.

Todd

sailforfun15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 05:57 PM   #157
donaldbroc
Registered Member

i can't even drink beer for two hours or i'm heading to bed (old man syndrome)

what i was intending is you must use common sense if you decide to drink and ride or is that a oxymoron in the 3rd party lingo.
2000 xr 650r
2000 sv 650
Moto Guzzi v50 III
Yamaha 490
78/79 rm 125\'s
2001xr250r
kraft tech frame and motor built in garage
donaldbroc is offline   Reply With Quote