Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-05-2002, 04:36 PM   #131
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Stepped Licenses are not a reality, I'm afraid

"Upon satisfying the requirements for both the written and skills tests, you will be issued a motorcycle endorsement to your Washington State driver license. This is valid for all motorcycle engine displacement categories"

From http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/mtrcycle.htm

I thought they had done away with that... They used to have stepped licenses, but not anymore! A shame.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2002, 05:23 PM   #132
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Taking up motorcycling? Get your "learners permit" off road. Buy a cheap used dirt bike and go ride for about six months every chance you get. I assure you the experience gained will make you very competent in short order when you do take to the street.

And I hasten to add, after you get your STREET bike, take a low intensity track day/ class or three. You will be amazed at how much confidence and skill you will pick up in two or three days of track time. I spent about 10 years on dirt bikes before I added street riding to my hobby and then spent another 5 years riding before I made it to a track day. What a revelation as to what a motorcycle is capable of and what your capabilities are also.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:35 AM   #133
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Also good advice which I wish had followed. Unfortunately, I bought a Honda 1974 CB350G with the big engine guards. I needed those guards because everytime I wrecked that poor bike it saved me having to buy new front turn signals. And oh boy did I wreck, low side, high side, over the handlebars (first time to use the disk front brakes ) and numerous other ways. Including my personal college favorite, forgeting to put my foot out at the traffic light and falling over. That move never fails to impress the good looking girls also stopped at said light. Did I mention, never drink and drive, seriously it doesn't work. I must have had an angel sitting on my shoulder.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 09:51 AM   #134
MOwings
Founding Member

Default Re: hey, you could of just said you were too scared.

You forget that without street riding there would be no racing, or motorcycles for that matter. If everyone quit riding on the street, there would be no street or racing motorcycles.

Also, not everyone can afford to go racing or have a track close to their house. Not all have legal places to ride off road nearby. Also, not all have $30000+ pickups and trailers to tow their rides.

Most of us just want to be able to enjoy our commutes on our motorcycles. I will keep riding on the street because that is where I get the most enjoyment in my life. You can keep towing in your Sierra. Nothing will change.
MOwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 09:55 AM   #135
MOwings
Founding Member

Default Re: hey, you could of just said you were too scared.

p.s. When all the motorcycle manufacturers go out of business because no one is buying street bikes, what will you race?
Old 10-06-2002, 10:20 AM   #136
MOwings
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes...Does anyone remeber Cycle?

Yes! I loved that magazine. The way they used take a bike apart and spread out the parts for a photo. Then describe how the bike sounded, felt etc. How they would honesty tell you how it compared to its competition. And how they would do it all in an entertaining style. The only writer who has come close to those of Cycle is John Burns.

There is no justice in this world when we lose Cycle and keep Cycle World.

Cycle, RIP.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:25 AM   #137
MOwings
Founding Member

Default Re: TO ALL MY FANS

You forget that without street riding there would be no racing, or motorcycles for that matter. If everyone quit riding on the street, there would be no street or racing motorcycles.

Also, not everyone can afford to go racing or have a track close to their house. Not all have legal places to ride off road nearby. Also, not all have $30000+ pickups and trailers to tow their rides.

Most of us just want to be able to enjoy our commutes on our motorcycles. I will keep riding on the street because that is where I get the most enjoyment in my life. You can keep towing in your Sierra. Nothing will change.

When all the motorcycle manufacturers go out of business because no one is buying street bikes, what will you race?
Old 10-06-2002, 12:32 PM   #138
Hawkster
Founding Member

I don't think you can legislate intelligence. The only thing anti-cell phone laws and such would do is add one charge to the others (vehicular manslaughter, unsafe lane change, etc.) Laws don't stop people from being idiots. It just punishes them when they are. And by then, it's too late for the motorcyclist.

All you can be is more and more aware of the idiots around you. As their intelligence goes down, you have to pick up the slack and do their thinking for them.

It would be nice if cars were a little *less* safe. I'm convinced that if every SUV, car, and pickup truck came with metal spikes on the dashboard and broken glass instead of airbags, people would drive a little more safely. Or maybe there could be sensors in the steering wheel that could deactivate all safety devices if you're not holding it with two hands. Right now, the prevalent attitude is, "Why pay attention? I've got insurance, ABS and airbags galore--I'm invincible!"

Oh yeah, and baby seats should be mounted on the front bumper so that parents don't have to turn around to check on their kids.

If these things don't make people drive carefully, nothing will.

Hawkster
Old 10-06-2002, 12:46 PM   #139
Hawkster
Founding Member

Default Re: BABs and Unscrupulous Dealers

If a CBR600RR scares you, why the hell are you buying one?

If you think the MSF can help you, take the ERC, but keep whatever you're riding. Buy an EX500 (a.k.a., Ninja 500) and take it to the track. Take a performance motorcycling class like Keith Code's California Superbike School, Reg Pridmore's CLASS, or something similar. Learn how to handle a bike. THEN buy the latest hypersports bike... when you can appreciate it instead of fearing it.

Otherwise, your "I guess Darwin was right" comment might come back to haunt you.

Hawkster

PS. I ride a 1988 Honda Hawk GT (a 650cc V-twin) on the track AND street and its whopping 45 HP has *never* left me wanting more in the corners... where it really matters. When it does (and when my footpeg feelers and knee pucks are worn down), I'll get a sportier bike. But you should know by now... it's the rider, not the bike, that makes you go fast.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:56 PM   #140
GSXR866
Founding Member

Default Re: TO ALL MY FANS

Judging by the feedback on this page, I think it would be a cold day in hell before the manufactures went out of business because of lack of street bike sales. And racing isn't as expensive as many people would like to think. I obviously spend what i can afford to but that is not the standard or anywhere near the minimum. I see a lot of guys towing an $800 Kawasaki EX500 on a Uhaul behind an old compact car and they are just as competitive and have just as much fun as guys with RV's and a lineup of GSX-R's. Almost anyone can race, just depends how bad you want to. Don't forget all the money i save in insurance as the premiums grow higher and higher thanks to all the squids on new liter class sportbikes piling into cars.
GSXR866 is offline   Reply With Quote