Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-05-2002, 06:44 AM   #121
GSXR866
Founding Member

Default Re: TO ALL MY FANS

I can understand how you lived so long even though you ride a motorcycle on the street. I can't understand how you've lived so long insulting people who disagree with you. Especially 22 year old people at your age. If even after all these years your still insecure to take a motorcycle off the street then don't take it out on me. I'm glad all it takes is weather and sun for you to enjoy your motorcycle I can get that flying kites. I don't use FACTs by the way because i don't care at all for statistics. What I do know is what i've seen and unlike you I chose not to ignore that for the sake of merely transforming a perfectly good motorcycle into transportation. I think its funny that you feel the need to think I am simple minded for not riding my bike on the street. Maybe when I get my own place I'll wake up to "reality" and understand that challenging myself and my motorcycle on a closed course is for simple minded ignorant people.
GSXR866 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2002, 06:53 AM   #122
GSXR866
Founding Member

Gimme a break with this young guy who thinks he knows everything BS. At least i know what i think and all your doing is insulting me and claiming to agree with someone else who just wrote a whole page insulting me. Funny how thats all your left with instead of representing your point of view which is what a bulletin board is all about. MY insecurities are showing?? You are the ones jumping all over me for attacking your prescious "sport" of "street riding"
GSXR866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 08:05 AM   #123
pmmonster
Founding Member

Default 600cc sportbike vs. 1200 cruiser

It's not just the size but speed also. A 600cc sportbike is much, much faster than any cruiser made (V-Max excepted perhaps). Of course they do turn and stop a hell of a lot better which can make them safer. Cruisers generally have crap handling and brakes which certainly doesn't bode well for newbies. It really gets down to experience, rider education and responsibility. (Luck doesn't hurt either). PM
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:07 AM   #124
frasertri
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

Hmmm, Dave Wendell says that most car drivers don't see bikes because they are looking for something 6 feet wide and 2 headlights. I must be too jaded or something, because it's my belief that most car drivers fail to see ANYTHING that is not a threat to them, personally. They just don't need to recognize the presence (threat...) of anything smaller/lighter. Think I'm wrong? Check out the way many drive SUV's and vans. Pedestrians and cyclists suffer the same threat as motorcyclists.

Bottom line, the average cage driver does not consider driving a 'life and death' responsibility until it's too late. Underlying problem? Me first. O.K., maybe I'm just a bit jaded.....
frasertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:13 AM   #125
KPaulCook
Banned

Hey I have been where you are at.
[*] First you have a right to your opinion and a right to express it
[*] As long as you don't get personal the majority of folks will enjoy reading an opinion that runs against the grain. So keep it up
[*] If folks get personal with you I have learned to one blow them off or laugh at it. Some folks lack the ability to attack the idea not the person or they don't like your opinion but don't have any thing thoughtful to say at the time. I have been guilty of that many times
[*] The more passionate the response to your opinion the more it has people questioning their beliefs etc. This is a good thing witness the response to John Burn's political commentary

So keep your thought invoking opinions coming. In this case I see your point but I guess I love riding to much to give it up. Everyday I have a close call the next day I am ready to jump back on.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:19 AM   #126
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

LOL so true. I wish I had a dime for every tree hugging SUV driver that has encouraged me to get off the road. And those Honda Civics looking to have a friendly race. Good to know our public school system is teaching the fundamentals of Physics (power/to weight) so well. Oh how I love when I drive my car how I average 15 mph on 167. You gotta love a state that encourages such togetherness.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:29 AM   #127
KPaulCook
Banned

No you aren't jaded and have a good point. In WA state the drivers license test doesn't mention anything about a drivers liabilities if they cause an accident. Maybe folks would drive better if they knew how much it could cost them it they hit somone. i.e. They exhaust the liability limits of their insurance and are forced to pay a huge settlement. Some folks have to pay 10% of their income to victim until the settlement is paid off.

Dave is a smart guy. Perhaps most people are like you say but if one says folks are not looking for a narrow 2 wheeled vechicle it will come across better than "hey your are not scared of motorcycles you idiot that its why you don't look for them"

Old 10-05-2002, 11:48 AM   #128
UltraBoa
Founding Member

Default What?

> "The problem is there aren't any sportbikes out there less than 600cc that look COOL."

> "It's function AND form, not function OR form."

No, the problem is that entry level riders are buying bikes based on "form" and not giving any consideration to "function". For a beginner rider, a functional bike is one that is relatively light, has decent handling, doesn't have gobs of horsepower or uneven throttle response to bite a hamfisted beginner, and is rugged enough to withstand being dropped a couple of times. By this criteria a CBR600RR (or any front line supersport) isn't any better than a big twin, while an ACE 750 isn't a bad choice. At some point you have to balance "cool" with "is way beyond my current skill level".

The lack of "cool", at least for sports styled bikes, is that the beginner market segment is also price sensitive so the models don't get updated as fast as "cool" does and pricier bikes (e.g. VTR250) don't sell. The (U.S. model EX250F (aka GPX)) Ninja 250 styling looks a lot like it's big brothers from the late 80s but hasn't be revamped since and never will be because it would bump the price up a few hundred bucks. Kawasaki USA doesn't sell the European/Canadian version (EX250H (aka (ZZR)) because the that one would retail for about a grand more and they won't sell enough of them because more people would opt for the 500 instead. The Aprilia products look more stylish, by current standards, because they were designed more currently.

Small displacement bikes succeed outside the U.S. due to beginner license horsepower or displacement restrictions. They largely fail in the U.S. because, at a given level of technology, they don't compete on a perceived value level. The manufacturers aren't worried about highly styled/high tech small bikes taking sales from bigger bikes, they know that there isn't sufficient market for them.
UltraBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:12 PM   #129
slideby
Founding Member

Why do cars turned in front of us, is because we pose no threat. Was last time you heard of a car turning in from a tractor-trailer truck, not very often. The reason they don't do that is because it is a threat to their life in which a motorcycle cannot do. People that have turned in front of me have responded with look of fear from the sound of a skidding tire and a horn is useless . The reason for this is 1. will they get hurt 2. will they hurt someone The small size of a motorcycle doesn't reinforcement this. So for them to use the reason that they did not see us is incorrect they just don't care.

In 1973 I read an editorial in CYCLE magazine the change for perspective on riding for life and that was no matter who's at fault, you are the only one that can keep yourself safe and in one piece. After 26 years of riding it's still an education in progress. Wish me luck.

Mark

PS does anyone remember CYCLE magazine and by the way the rear brake works best for holding a Bike on an incline.
slideby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 02:39 PM   #130
KPaulCook
Banned

Good advice Dave. I read and reread Proficient Motorcycling. Haven't picked up Street Smarts yet.