Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-04-2002, 05:52 PM   #111
rocket13
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

I recently lost a very good friend as a result of not wearing a good helmet. 60 years young and always a safe, competent rider, he always wore good protective gear and a top drawer Shoei helmet. After 15 years and 2 Gold Wings, he was bitten by the Harley bug. He went all the way, tatoos, bandana, beard, etc.

1500 miles later, he crashed in West Virginia wearing one of those "pot" helmets that just keep you "legal". He died of head trauma that the paramedics said he may have survived had he been wearing his Shoei. H-D image be damned if it's gonna cost your life! I'm 59 and into my 3rd childhood. Sold the Venture and the Wing and bought an FJR1300. You can bet your ass part of the FJR purchase involved buying a top of the line full face helmet, my first in 18 years. My open face Arai occupies a space of honor on a shelf in my garage, and that's where it stays unless I tire of the FJ (NOT!) or buy a used tourer to keep the little lady happy. More than likely, I will continue riding with the F/F even if it's on a Helix Scooter. Just my 2 cents worth.
rocket13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2002, 02:11 AM   #112
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Stepped Licenses

When I got my street license in WA in 1999, there was no stepped license. Some of the guys knew they couldn't pass their tests, so they borrowed one of the applicant's Honda Helix, as it was the same license as a Goldwing at the time. Have they changed the licensing since? Also, as a side, the guy riding the brand new, chopped Harley with straight pipes rode the course at least as well as anyone else there, and scored 100%. I was quite impressed.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 03:30 AM   #113
Rodeo
Founding Member

Default Re: TO ALL MY FANS

No , you are absolutely right!!!We are at the bottom of the food chain and I am buying a truck to tow my bike right away ,now that you have enlightened me ..I will NEVER ride on the streets again.THANK YOU SO MUCH for educating my ignorant self!!!I 've been soooo stupid I'm soooo sorry ...but you are right !!!Two thumbs up ....you the MAN !!!yOU SO COOOOOL ...OH AND P.S Can you help me with this other little problem I have ,I can't help but laugh when I see a big SUV rolled over in a ditch or all tore up by a guardrail ,probably because of all that bent up anger inside ,while I slow down on my bike and shake my finger at the crash site .I'm a sick little dude I know ...And one time after I got cut off by an SUV I actually chased and caught up with it at a light and I guess I must have intimidated the driver ,because he was VERY regretful of his actions now that I was looking right into his eyes ...But I won't be driving my bike anywhere but on the track from now on ...thanks to you ...I PROMISE..and if I ever catch up with YOU at a light I WILL GIVE YOU A LESSON IN MANORS....he he he ....he he he...BE SAFE NOW -YA HEAR. yours truly Atilla The Hun.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:22 AM   #114
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

To try to prove your silly conclusion with "facts" like yours is truly pitiful. The same tactics are used to "prove" Blacks are dangerous, Whites are the Devil, and Sharon is a "Man of Peace". Since you said you were all of 22 yrs old, and somehow know everything in those 22 years, I wonder how I survived riding the streets for 4 years longer than you have ever lived? Since your "Sage advise" was not available until now, I guess I couldn't have lived this long in your estimation. Flucks up your "case" a bit doesn't it? You consider every car on the street as a death sentence, every rider on the street an idiot, and I consider every 22 year old with "the Truth" and lame "facts", as a sign things have not changed in my years. Your simple mind has simple facts, with simple solutions. Since you cannot see or hear, your brain is left with few thoughts as to not clog up the limited space. Since I am going out for a ride today to enjoy the beautiful weather and sun, I will leave you with the thought that no matter how narrow your mind, how simple your thoughts and how ignorant you attitude, I will ride what I like, when I like and how I like, and have done so since before you were an itch in your daddy's pants. I'll bet the farm you live at home or are a school boy, living as far from reality as you can muster.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:37 AM   #115
dwr461
Founding Member

To Longride,

I remember when I was younger and knew everything. I also knew what was best for everybody. Now I'm older and I must have gotten dumber. I find more I don't know everyday. Longride show your wisdom, GSX obviously is a flame baiter. I'm sure he will just thrive on being the center of attention. His basic insecurities are showing, maybe his mom held him too much or his dad didn't enough. It's not for me to say. Nothing we do or say will change his mind for he knows everything and what's best for us.

By the by, I do agree with your post.

Take care and God bless,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:39 AM   #116
atk74seattle
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

I've lived all over this great country(but not in CA yet), in many cities and driven many miles both in the cage and on the bike.

To date, I've not found any drivers that are worse than Seattle-ites. The traffic might not be as bad, but the driving skills are awful.

Not to gripe, but it's the only state _I_ know of where you can get a license and not speak a word of English, receiving your written and your DRIVING test in any of 16 languages.
atk74seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:43 AM   #117
dwr461
Founding Member

Thank you gforce. I think I read somewhere that you're a new rider. Good luck. You might want to read Proficient Motorcycling, and Street Smarts both are written by David L. Hough. I have found them to be very good books. I think any experience level of rider can get something out of them.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:51 AM   #118
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Stepped Licenses

The stepped license has been in effect for a couple of years, but I'm not sure which year exactly, it was designed to prevent what your talking about with trading bikes. The idea is that you should be able to pass the test on what you ride,,, again not perfect but a start
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:58 AM   #119
giuliom
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle accidents, fatalities on the rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older R

THere was a similar story in the Los Angeles Times some months ago, but it was not nearly as good, or balanced. It portrayed all bikers as either extreme riders doing 150 mph on the freeway or Harley/Hell's Angels types. I replied to the writer (a woman who seems to know nothing about bikes) and I pointed out exactly what some have said on this forum: 1. Many older riders are in fact beginners. Riding a 125cc bike 30 years ago does not prepare you for a modern sportbike. Just because you have the dough to put down for a Hayabusa, it does not mean you can handle it. It's true that modern bikes handle infinitely better than older ones, but this can give you a false sense of security and make you push your limits without realizing you are doing that. 2. Many think that they can be like Nicky Hayden simply because they have a cool bike, and they push their limits (go to Angeles Crest or Mulholland Dr in LA and observe). Well, they are not. AND, they do not put enough miles on the bike to get really familiar with it. Doing 1 or 2k miles a year is not enough, for example. Or, how many practice panic stops at speed? Avoiding an obstacle at speed? 3. I can drink in moderation if I am driving: when I ride I don't, period. 4. AND, Everyone is out to get you and cagers do the strangest things. I commute in LA and you see people putting on make up (at freeway speed, no less), reading books and newspapers, talking on the phone, etc. I have had two close calls in this past year and BOTH times the cager was talking on the phone, or actually in one case dialing the phone and looking at the dial....

ALSO, let's be honest: lots of us do stupid things. There was a fatal accident here a couple of years ago: a guy and his wife both got killed on Angeles Crest Highway (mountain road with lots of tight curves). He picked up his new Harley, stopped at a bar to celebrate with a few beers, then decided to take it up the Angeles Crest. He misjudged a curve, jumped lane and crashed head on into a truck. That sums it up for me: you are unfamiliar with the bike and you compound it by drinking and taking the bike on one of the toughest roads around....
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:15 AM   #120
sarnali
Founding Member

what's really nice about seattle drivers is how the're so law abiding and safety concious that they drive fifty in the fast lane on a dry sunny day , it's heart warming to have so many people care enough to protect us from ourselves, they're even on the phone to keep up with any safety hazards that might require them to slow down even more!! then you have the little rice-boyz in the lowered civics and integra's to keep you up to date with the latest gangsta' jams, while your stuck next to 'em in traffic,, truely heartwarming.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote