Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-04-2002, 03:32 PM   #101
tgo63
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

this is a link to the story in the local newspaper, sorry for stating two persons were in critical condition, the story mentions the girl sustained severe injuries.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sec...3-02/News4.htm
tgo63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2002, 03:36 PM   #102
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: hey, you could of just said you were too scared.

"sorry officer, I didn't see the offense"
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:50 PM   #103
GSXR866
Founding Member

Default Re: good for you

As a racer, I'm also a member of the AMA and i pay my dues every year for that. As for improving rider safety on the street personally, its really just not my battle anymore because i've heard and seen too many unpreventable accidents to make any effort seem worth while. i know you'll call it giving up but i call it smartening up. don't think i race just to get off the street either, i'd be racing anyway for all of the other obvious reasons and i am thankful to have a dirt bike and a race bike that allow me to get away from people who i can't control and just be able to ride. i don't want to fight any battles, i don't want to support activists and lobbists, that all sounds like more of a job then a hobby and i already have a job. The only time i see myself stepping up to the plate would be to keep off road areas available in my area.
GSXR866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:55 PM   #104
GSXR866
Founding Member

Sounds like you have a bigger problem with SUV's then you have with me.....what happened?....get cut off recently? And for the record, I drive a GMC Sierra Z71 which very nicely tows my dirt bike and race bike. I'm not scared I'm smart. Scared would be you trying to follow me into turn 1.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:45 PM   #105
GSXR866
Founding Member

Default couple other points for you to think about....

Keep in mind that all of the writing to your congressman to increase awareness and all that sounds good but think more realisticly. Its not "a lot" of unaware drivers that could kill you, it only takes one. Next time your riding down the road count the number of cars that you pass all around you and then think to yourself that every single one of those people holds your life in his or her hands. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Forget about whether they are distracted or not. You have no idea who these people are, what they are doing, what level of intelligence or sanity they are operating on but you trust every single one of them. Why? All they have done to deserve it in the past is kill other motorcyclists like yourself.

Can you realisticly be confident that your congressman's new quest towards motorcycle awareness reached all those people you pass on the road? All those people getting ready to turn left? all those people looking at a yellow/red light or stop sign? all those people changing lanes? Even if the message did get out, your swimming upstream because the roadways are more and more crowded and cars are filled with more and more distracting technology and people's frustrations with BOTH are higher then ever!!!

Anyway, just things to think about. I'm glad to hear there are people who do at least care about awareness and who do wear the proper gear. You are a rare breed and because of that I can't even go to my local dealer without being sickened by some kid who doesn't even own a helmet yet trading in his slow GSXR600 for a 1000.

As far as your quest to become a better rider, may I recommend a racing school if you haven't already. Those are the types of lessons you won't get in an MSF class and its those types of skills that could decide your fate when a circumstance arises that throws all those preventative measures out the window.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:06 PM   #106
rhobson
Founding Member

It would have been smarter to drop the attitude. I think you would like to ride on the street but, for some good reasons, have choosen not to. Please don't take it out on us.
rhobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 05:57 PM   #107
GSXR866
Founding Member

Thanks for your input, next time read the whole thread and see who is taking what out on who. I believe one kind gentleman suggest i drive my truck and trailor off a cliff and yet another called me an a$$hole. Haven't heard those things out of me but then again, i don't represent YOUR point of view so jump on the band wagon and give me hell too.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:13 PM   #108
GSXR866
Founding Member

Default TO ALL MY FANS

Hey, this post is to everyone who just spent the day tearing me apart for suggesting the answer to dangerous streets is off-highway motorcycling such as racing and trail riding. Just watched the news 5 seconds ago.....Motorcycle crash, hit by car, no word on rider's condition (mangled bike shown laying on its side at intersection). Little ironic don't you think? I rest my case
Old 10-04-2002, 06:36 PM   #109
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: TO ALL MY FANS

You have a point. After putting almost 8000 miles in the last year on my bike, mostly commuting, I am starting to get tired of the close call I have every two weeks. Today a guy in one of those big Toyota Land Cruiser with Florida State Alumni license plate holder almost tailgated me in the carpool lane. Yes he was not supposed to be on the carpool lane. I slowed down motioned with my left hand to back off. He zoomed pass me in the right lane then flipped me off, taking his hand off the wheel while talking on the cell phone. I got his license plate and called the State Patrol.

I am seriously thinking about only riding on the weekends on the backroads So GSX maybe all of us are in denial. Kind of like how race car drivers are when the see a driver get hurt i.e. it won't happen to me. Keep posting guy
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:47 PM   #110
Mad_Max
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crashes, Deaths on the Rise in WA: Blame on SUVs, HOGs, Older Riders

>>If these over 40 guys who are just starting out were buying Hayabusas and XXes they would probably get killed in even greater numbers than they are on the slower Harleys.<<

I don't know about that. True, 'Busa's and XX's are very speedy, but they can also steer and stop! Helpful when avoiding the A.D.D. impaired cager that's about to ruin your day.

Ever try to steer or stop a Harley Whatever-Glide? Maybe the old guys should be on 'Busa's and XX's. Just a thought.

Mad_Max is offline   Reply With Quote