Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-22-2002, 10:59 PM   #61
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Shaping up to be a Very Good Year...

to get the power of the bird, you would be spending 800$ on an exhaust, 200$ on carb work, $200 on a cam (or 2 but then you lose torque) and maybe another 500 on either a 1216 kit or some headwork.

And then the suspension would still be sub par.

ask me how i know? it helps to have both to ride but the bandit is more FUN if not as fast.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2002, 11:05 PM   #62
john
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the 919?

you got it backwards. Although it came out first....the SV650 was what the majority of the people WANTED the TL-S to be, minus the displacement advantage. Thats why its so easy to switch out that funky rear suspension.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:02 AM   #63
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Shaping up to be a Very Good Year...

Do you mean Blackbird or Bandit in your first sentence? Most birds dyno in at 135 to 140 rwhp-and I thought that the Bandit came in around 100rwhp stock. The bandit I rode (a buddy's) was a screamer off the line, a real Wheelie King, but the power crapped out around 7k rpms. This I could learn to live with, or fix as you mentioned. The suspension was slightly better on the 'bird, but non-adjustable, and not a real factor for me. The biggest reason I dropped the bandit from my short list was the frame-I've already got a prehistoric steel frame on my V65 Magna...why would I want TWO bikes with frames that wiggle more than the headliner in a strip club?

My opinion of the Bandit? Comfortable, and a great buy for the money with buckets of power/torque. My only real concern was that the engine was writing checks that the frame couldn't cash, at least with me riding it...

Of course, your mileage may vary.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote