Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Ride Cheap At California Speedway (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/1291-ride-cheap-california-speedway.html)

Tim_Moore 07-08-2002 09:36 AM

Re: Ride Cheap At California Speedway

I may be interested in doing this. Forgive my ignorance, but will this be open for those of us who have never done track days before, or just more experienced tracksters? Reading their website, it's clear there are different levels, and I'm sure I'd fit in on the bottom rung. :D

Thanks,

Tim

cornercarver 07-08-2002 10:56 AM

Sounds great, except that last time I did a cheap track day, tons of really bad riders showed up and turned it into a crash fest, including one who target fixated into my stopped (brand spanking new! 2 week old Mille) bike off the track after I pulled off to sort out a crash that happened when the friend of the aforementioned idiot just had to stuff myself and another rider during the first lap of the second session of the day while we were puttering along at about 40% of normal, warming up tires and checking out the track. He ran wide, knocking my friend down by slamming his rear wheel into my friend's front before running off the course himself. Of course, the two squids suffered barely noticeable damage, while my Mille suffered $6K of damage and still doesn't feel quite right, and my friend's bike suffered a dented tank and required the theft of a lever from my unrideable bike just to get it back on the track for the rest of the day. Did the squids offer to pay up? Of course not!

You have been warned. Cheap track days SUCK!!!! Ride them at your own peril.

SeanAlexander 07-08-2002 12:45 PM

As opposed to those "Safe" rides in the canyons, with those same squids + soccer moms? The ONLY thing better about riding your Mille on the street, is that your insurance will cover damage.

Tim_Moore 07-08-2002 01:40 PM

Err, and just to clarify (mostly for the guy below :), I'm not a new rider. I have over 20k miles under my belt. I'm also not a squid, a hooligan, or any other type of dangerous rider (other than maybe being a good backmarker). I most definitely respect the power of my bike (ZX-12), and the thing that really attracts me to the idea of a track day is that I can stretch its legs more than I could possibly ever do on the street.

Sorry, just didn't want to be equated to the squids you mentioned. :)

Tim

Sean_Burke 07-09-2002 08:26 AM

Check with your insurance carrier.

I have checked with mine (USAA), and they do offer coverage if the track session is a class, and not a competitive event.

If it's timed on a watch, and / or points / trophies are awarded, then you're on your own.

If it's for education, then I am covered.

jmeyn 07-09-2002 11:13 AM

Re: ARRRRGH!!! $@#&!!!

How did it happen, Sean? Peg too low? High spot on the track? Preload problem? You must have had huge grip!

Get well quick!

jmeyn 07-09-2002 11:24 AM

Take a look at <a>Summit Point</a>

jmeyn 07-09-2002 11:31 AM

Forgot to put the href in quotes!

Try Summit Point Raceway about 60 miles out of DC.

SeanAlexander 07-09-2002 12:57 PM

Crash details.

Actually grip was mediocre, my tires were over 10 races old. I had just switched from a hinged (stock style) peg to a CFM Woodcraft solid-mount rearset. I had gotten used to folding-up the pegs through fast sweepers(fully folded peg = 100% of tire used) I failed to compensate for NON-folding pegs, and levered some weight off of the rear contact patch. This resulted in a 120MPH lowside. I sustained several fractures, after I left the track surface still travelling over 75MPH and started tumbling through the gravel trap. I get the casts off next week, and will be back racing first week of August. Needless to say, I will be putting the folding pegs back on.

jmeyn 07-09-2002 01:20 PM

Re: Crash details.

Yeah. You can't ride around the solid pegs without sacrificing speed. Could you raise them enough to clear without sitting on your boots?