Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-17-2002, 12:51 PM   #31
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Market Share Vs. Profit

I looked at the figures posted below your comment by mattg and began to wonder about market share vs. profit. i.e. Ducati w/0.7% of the market, yet making record profits. It would be great to know if say BMW (1.6%) reported a profit of $10 million and Suzuki (12% or 7.5 times BMW) reported a profit of $20 million, then we get a really good picture of the profit per bike. I dunno, just curious. I really wonder which is the most profitable motorcycle company.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #32
BykerGeek
Founding Member

Default Re: ABC News reports on motorcycles

I think the reason is simple. Cost.

The average cost of a H-D is almost $16000, about double the avg. cost of the bikes from the Japanese Mfgrs. Most young bikers can't afford to ride a H-D.
BykerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 01:25 PM   #33
Hadji
Founding Member

Default SUM - Sports Utility Motorcycle

The safari bikes are definitely selling here is Swampeast Missouri. I just got the 600 mile service on my R1100SBX and there were a few of the R1150 G/S Adventure mega-dualsports heading out the door. One bike, I know for sure, was purchased because of the buyer's friend purchasing the other. These are big bikes w/ 30 liter fuel tanks, an optional granny gear for "crawling over rough ground" and huge aluminum luggage. Imagine tipping this top-heavy monster out in the boonies, in the mud! BMW will need to sell a optional winch kit that bolts on in lieu of the rear wheel so the granny gear can drag the bike out! I think BMW is trying to build the Hummer of motorcylces. People want what they want and there is no accounting for taste, so who knows what people will buy in the future. I do know that if I had the means to do so, I would do the Jay Leno thing - buy it and ride it. Why be limited?
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:24 PM   #34
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Great Point Sparky: Re: ABC News reports on motorcycles

To resurect the old argument, if Harley built an airplane, would you fly in it?

I would have no problem flying in a Honda built aircraft
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:28 PM   #35
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: Perhaps some truth to that

Being married with 2 kids, I could care less about picking up chicks. Doing so could be financially ruinous.

On the other hand, I do need 120 horsepower and 160 mph top end. That has it's costs as well, but speeding tickets are cheaper than child support and alimoney
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:37 PM   #36
dominatr37
Founding Member

The newset MCN has those statistics. BMW sold 12,484 bikes in the US last year, and Triumph sold 6,366 As a contrast, Honda sold 219,584, and Harley sold 177,681, with Yamaha in third with 147,991. Suzuki was next with 91,780. Followed by Kawasaki with 75,047After that they all drop off. MZ sold 102 bikes here last year, and Aprilia sold 1,949 what amazes me is KTM sold 12,350 !
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:37 PM   #37
GBKinLA
Founding Member

It was a positive viewpoint, for a change. I wonder what percentage of riders are long-term i.e. > 10 years? All the guys I used to ride with a couple of years ago had been doing that for a long time. That would be an interesting stat. When all the "boomers" finally die off, where will the industry be? I'm a late boomer and so probably have another 20 years of riding ahead of me. What about the rest of you who read MO?
GBKinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:39 PM   #38
KPaulCook
Banned

Default The truth about my Harley thing, my mom the biker chick

OK the truth is my mother was a biker chick back in the 70s and I was conceived on the back of a Sportster (not a 1200 but the lowly 883). While she was pregnant she abducted by Aliens in Yuma Arizona. Ever since then she and I have hated Harleys. I think E.T. is a Ducati/BMW/Kawasaki/Triumph lover ok and he zapped both of us with something.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:50 PM   #39
TheFox
Founding Member

Default On this note:

I am looking for a bike. I don't think my Ducati Monster is going to be practical anymore: I am joining the Marines.

However, I am unwilling to be without a bike. I am turning hardcore.

I'm 6'3", thin, with a long torso and shorter legs. 34' waist, 34 inseam, 42 long suit jacket, 16' neck.

I like to ride and ride quickly. I will be needing decent weather protection, and maintenace intervals and costs can't be too brutal because lets face it, the military doesn't get paid much. I'm not afraid to do a bit of work on the bike though: right side up forks would be nice.

I really love my twin, but I am willing to go with a four. I think the SV650 will be too small, as I will be riding home on leave to Chicago from probably a coast somewhere. Currently I have a monster 750 and I was dragging the kickstand yesterday.

So, reliable, cheap, responsive, good ebnough to tour on, and someone reasonable maintenance. I am looking CBR600 (ugh), ZX-6R, maybe a VFR 750 or 800. I would like to stay Italian (god, I even love Guzzis..I am depraved) but it's just not going to happen.

Is it possible to learn to do 2 valve air cooled maintenance on one's own? Because I so want a 900ss...even if my head says no.

What would you guys recommend?

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:53 PM   #40
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: On this note:

Duh, I forgot: not too heavy. They will ship my bike overseas, but there IS a weight limit. And this will be my olnly transportation, even in winter. I will probably be adding a 12v plug for heated gear, as well as wiring in some heated grips.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote