Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-10-2002, 06:53 AM   #1
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: JD Power rates Arai top lid

Add my name to the list of satisfied customers. Arai helmets rock.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2002, 07:09 AM   #2
yzf1070
Founding Member

"Because riders place such a high priority on helmet comfort and fit, many manufacturers are discouraging the sale of helmets at locations other than at licensed dealerships, including on the Internet, so customers are assured a proper fit by trained salespeople, Crewdson said."

Please don't do this! I think I speak for a large number of riders who would rather spend long hours sliding naked on a bed of razor blades than spend anymore time than absolutely neccessary in the dealership showrooms. Alright maybe the razor blade thing is just me. But the dealerships here in the Northeast are generally full of people with far less knowledge than the average motorcyclist and all they want to do is hit your wallet as hard as possible and get you the hell out the door so they can rob the next guy! We need whatever competition we can get to try to keep these crooks up here honest.

yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:27 AM   #3
fellswoop13
Founding Member

I agree completely. The foolish 19 year old wannabe-squids manning the sales counters in the N.E area are more trouble than their worth. It's all about Helmetshop.com.
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:32 AM   #4
PaulNorthBay
Founding Member

Agree strongly with YZF. The dealers in my area have such a mark up on the good helmets, its a money motivated sale. Pathetic.

For so many riders that ALREADY KNOW what they need for fit and sizing, why discriminate against them (Arai) by not allowing Internet sales? If they are so worried about fit (?) and that's the reason Arai is trying to prevent Internet sales, have a disclaimer form to accompany their Internet sold items.

I think the dealers have clout, and the issue is more about maximizing the income and preventing competition through other forms of sales.

If one knows what he wants, is knowledgeable about size and fit, allow us to purchase products where we want to. What happened to free trade and competitive marketing?

I think that the companies that limit or or prevent items from internet sales will drive consumers to other brands.
PaulNorthBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 08:03 AM   #5
PurpleF2
Founding Member

That's why I'm wearing a Shoei.

Always have, always will.

And buying from a dealer in N.J. - ROTFLMAO! Half of them can't remember what size drain plug washer goes on what bike.

My last helmet was well over $100 cheaper when I bought it from a web retailer.

PurpleF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:02 AM   #6
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

I agree wholeheartedly! If Arai continues to pursue this lame, Cover-their-Ass strategy of insisting on "in-shop" sales by "trained" dealers - at exorbitant prices, I will change brands.

Arai beware!
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:10 AM   #7
erik_squires
Founding Member

.... furthermore, here in Mass, the dealership selection universally SUCKS for motorcycle gear, ESPECIALLY helmets.

Frankly, the helmet I wanted was simply NOT available in dealerships when I was ready to buy. Sorry Arai, you're lying or stupid if you think that turning off Internet sales is for my benefit.

The only half decent store I've found for riding gear at all was the Vanson Leather's factory store. IXS is distributed from this state, but do you think I can find a fully stocked dealer? No. Do you think they have a factory store? No. Do I enjoy spending more time in bike stores than I do on the road? What do you think?
erik_squires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:56 AM   #8
Grappelli
Registered Member

I, like many people here, wear an Arai and think it's a great helmet. However the limitation of internet sales may be somewhat more insidious than a first reading implies. Most dealers cannot stock more than one or sometimes two high end helmet manufacturors plus some lower ones. I have been told that Arai is also resisting dealers who just want to stock a few of their helmets, forcing them into an all or nothing situation. This puts dealers into a difficult situation and by doing this Arai seems to be attempting to monopolize this market. My guess is this will only drive the prices up.

Whether this is good long term marketing is altogether another question.

(BTW. I already know my model, helmet size and cheekpad thickness for Arai, better than anyone else can tell me.)
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:42 AM   #9
mconlon
Founding Member

The most disturbing part of this "impartial" survey is when an acutal JD Power employee spouts Arai marketing party line re: internet sales. Makes me wonder: how many actual Arai customers did they really survey? Was the survey pre- or post-Arai non-internet-sales-only announcement? And, most importantly, where did the majority of those surveyed buy their helmet, online/mailorder or in a shop?

Does JD Power conduct this survey for free? My guess is no. Is Arai a heavy contributor to the "2002 Motorcycle Helmet Satisfaction Study"? I dunno, but I'd be willing to bet they are...

Funny thing--I just popped over to the JD Power website and the quote about internet sales is not part of the actual press release. Hey, MO, where'd you get your info from? Also, there's no chart tracking sales telling who bought what from where--can you ask them what the trend in interenet sales of motorcycle helmets is (or was, before Arai pulled the plug)? Anyone willing to bet that e-sales were skyrocketing and Arai caved to dealer pressure?

As far as customer satisfaction goes, I can't wait to see the 2003 survey of 2002 sales. Anyone willing to be Arai is no longer tops? No? Didn't think so...

Mike C

Wears a Shoei, nothing against Arai, plenty against the opining of supposedly objective parties...
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:47 AM   #10
intruderman
Founding Member

I tried one on yesterday at the local Honda dealer, and yep, the Quantum/f is an amazing fit. I already can't afford one, and their new no-internet sales policy is going to make it that much more difficult. So I bought an AGV ARC off of EBAY for $81 and it fits 90% as well as an Arai for 1/5 the cost.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote