Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   The Speed Channel Responds (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/1208-speed-channel-responds.html)

Grover 05-06-2002 01:02 PM

Re: The Speed Channel Responds

Nice work gentleman, now if we could only have such an impact on CARB, EPA, DOT, etc. etc.

I'd be curious to know how many of us actually emailed speed channel to make this happen. I'd put money down that whatever the number, it far outreaches the replies to previous calls to action with respect to the above organizations.

Pardon the cheesiness, but I feel proud to be a part of MO right now, and think this is a small example of what we can do if we work together for our cause.

Lets think about that next time we want to b!tch about things like SUV's, motorcycle accident studies, and the calculated extinction of the 2-stroke.

Grover 05-06-2002 01:08 PM

My apologies to the female contingent of MO's readership that may have contributed to the effort. My stereotypically-guided masculine opener above left out the fairer sex. Nice work to you also.

irwc1 05-06-2002 01:15 PM

Yesterday was clearly a farkup on Speed's part. And yes I did send them a nastygram.

But, in all fairness, I think they've done a great job thus far this year. A couple weeks back I nearly messed myself when I saw six races on a single Sunday.

Let's hope Speed continues this level (or greater) commitment to 2-wheelers!

Chris

floundericiousFL 05-06-2002 01:16 PM

hey, you owe us, the guys, an apology for making it singular! :P

luckyguy19 05-06-2002 01:37 PM

I'll admit it did ***** me off. But this is one of the first cases where someone in charge actually takes responsiblity for a mistake. I will continue to be a loyal fan a motorcycle racing on Speed.

12er 05-06-2002 01:46 PM

I just sent them a thanx for the apology, well as they got one hell of a nasty flame from me yesterday. I came home early from a lovely Cinco de Mayo day in the park to watch the race only to get that smug announcer smiling as he is telling me to watch it tonight instead. That sure set me off...

Hawkster 05-06-2002 05:04 PM

I agree. When Speedvision was bought, I feared for the worst--the creation of the NASCAR Channel. But so far, the infusion of NASCAR money has improved the moto coverage significantly, similar to the way it has improved the Sears Point Raceway facilities, which are now top-notch.

They messed up and 'fessed up. I, for one, can forgive them this one time. If it happens again, I won't be so understanding because, IMO, once is an accident, twice is a pattern or trend.

Hawkster

DucButt 05-06-2002 11:58 PM

Appreciated the efforts of MO, and the response from Speed Channel. Now do you think we could muzzle Brian Drebber...? The guy was a babbling idiot when he covered the Tour de France a decade ago and didn't know anything about bicycle racing.

What happened to Fast Freddie? Not the best announcer, but a virtual subject matter expert. Better yet, let's get Suzy over here from SBK...

jamesohoh7 05-07-2002 03:09 AM

Ditto... I flamed them loudly and longly when they pre-empted the race. I likewise sent them a 'thanks for acknowledging your mistake' just this morning.

Now, hopefully they have learned a lesson from this. I fear what someone else posted earlier, that this was a planned 'trial balloon' to see just exactly how ticked off we'd get. IOW: if not many had complained, then they'd feel it was o.k. to do this in the future.

Glad we all got "vocal"!

-James

das 05-07-2002 04:43 AM

I particularly liked the last line of the apology (not quoted by MO, above): "There was no conscious effort by SPEED Channel to deny motorcycle fans the live coverage of the Supersport race from Sears Point in favor of NASCAR programming."

Oh, that explains it... they were unconcious. Probably brain dead from watching too much NASCAR....

I agree with the "trial balloon" theory, especially given their statement "now that this scenario has played itself out..." (I read that as saying "now that we've tested to see how many people who care are actually tuning in to watch motorcycle racing...")