Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-24-2002, 07:05 AM   #1
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA requests national accident study

About damn time! Tell you what--start giving drivers who kill and maim serious jail time and I bet we start getting "noticed" a lot more. Didn't see the biker? Aw, that's too bad... its also assault with a deadly weapon, vehiclular manslaguhter, etc.---you're going to jail, grandma! All it would take is a couple of high-profile trials to get the ball rolling. ...and continuous and vigorous enforcement from there on out. Along the lines of the zero-tolerance drunk-driving prosecution going on now. Hey any judges out there subscribing to MO?
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2002, 07:09 AM   #2
jam6
Founding Member

Give us an email address at the NHTSA. We need to let them know how big and vocal a group we are, otherwise they won't put budget or time to investigating and addressing motorcyclists needs.
jam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:11 AM   #3
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Good for the AMA! Such a study would be quite valuable if it's done right.

It will be interesting to see if a study requested (commissioned) by a lobbying group ultimately yields unbiased results. Would, for instance, the AMA accept the results of a valid study if it concluded that many motorcyclists simply fail to operate their vehicles in a safe manner? That motorcycles are marketed in such a manner as to promote unsafe riding? I doubt it. I suspect, however, that a study that placed the blame elsewhere would be accepted no matter how ludicrous the methodology. Then we'd learn nothing.

If this thing's going to get done I hope that it's done with an eye towards trying to learn something instead of confirming existing notions.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:48 AM   #4
acruhl
Founding Member

Despite what lawyers, zealots, insurance companies, etc will tell you, deaths occur mostly due to lack of riding skills. I won't say that all of them do (obviously), but most do.

Due to this influx of trendy cruisers, more people that have never ridden before are buying cruisers and getting out there and riding. This is a good thing. The bad thing is that you get an increase in proportion of people who aren't mentally capable of operating a mechanical pencil that are buying $20,000 Harleys and the like. I'm sure it happens on sport bikes too, but to my eye, it's not as common as the cruiser people.

Motorcycles have become a "fad" for some people. When this happens, more deaths are the unfortunate result.

(Learn how to use the front brake people!)

Andy
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
Poser
Founding Member

This kind of thing is why I belong to the AMA. The more members the AMA can claim when it goes before a bureaucracy, the more likely it will get taken seriously. The AMA sometimes pursues things that I don't agree with, but it is by far the most effective representation that we have.

The Hurt Report probably gives valuable insights, but technology has changed to the point that parts of that study might be a little misleading. I would like to see any study include non-fatal accidents, so that it could look at injury severity and equipment use, for example.

The AMA's Motorcyclists Matter campaign is a start, but they could be more ambitious with penalties for injuring or killing with a car. If you can get locked up for 20 years for selling pot, you shoud be locked up even longer for killing somebody by accident.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:46 AM   #6
4in6
Founding Member

I have crashed five times and out of those five times another vehicle operator was at fault. One of those accidents could have been avoided if I had more experience but the other one was completly out of my hands. There is not much you can do when a ford explorer with a kid stoned out of his mind behind the wheel pulls out in front of you. Then you stop and the kid still hits you. I will say that if I had not taken the MSF coarse before that accident I would have been killed. I think that most accidents could be avoided if we as riders pay more attention and don't expect people to notice us. But most accidents I have seen are from riders riding beyond there skill level at least most of my wrecks were and probably will befrom going faster than I should.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:11 AM   #7
obandoj
Founding Member

What we need is, for the AMA to let us have a voice in this matter, they should use their website to make it known to the NHTSA that all motorcycle riders are aware of the problem, and need some answers as to the cause of it, only then will we be able to find solutions.

The AMA could use their excellent Rapid Response to spread the word, it really works!

Let us not forget that the NHTSA is not releasing this figures to help us out, oh no, they want us gone!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:36 AM   #8
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

>>There is not much you can do when a ford explorer with a kid stoned out of his mind behind the wheel pulls out in front of you. Then you stop and the kid still hits you.<<

How did this happen? He pulled out in front of you, you stopped, then he hit you? If he was in front of you and you were stopped, how did he hit you? Did he drive sideways down the oncoming lane and hit you?
Old 04-24-2002, 01:32 PM   #9
sakepower
Founding Member

Though I've yet to read any study that completely confirms this, my suspicion, at least here in Los Angeles is that the roads ARE more dangerous that 5 years ago. Aside from just an general increase in traffic, the last 5 years has seen a proliferation of two things: SUVs and cell phones. Not intending to start the usual biker rant about "Stupid SUV driving soccer-moms", the truth is that SUVs have larger, greater blind-spots than your average four-door sedan. Cell phones which only used to be affordable for working professionals are now in use (constantly) by everyone from new, teenage drivers to daydreaming housewives (and husbands).

Mandating hands-free cell phones for drivers and better education for SUV (or any large vehicle) drivers will go a long way in making the roads safer for motorcyclists.
sakepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 02:27 PM   #10
tomekd
Founding Member

We can get offended every time someone does not see motorcycle but as a matter of fact it has been,is and will be that way.

People don`t see bikes and it`s up to us to get noticed.There will be people who cuts us off,always.Get use to it, you will live longer.

In my opinion vast majority of bike/car accidents could be avoided if riders had more skills.

We are the minority among road users and demanding that they all of the sudden start seeing us is silly.

tomekd is offline   Reply With Quote