Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-24-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA requests national accident study

Funny how once a cell phone is attached to the ear the head can no longer turn. I see so many people yacking away and blindly making lane changes.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2002, 04:57 PM   #12
Bryan8252
Founding Member

I don't think you need be concerned about raising the SUV issue often; it is a very legitimate question. I think there is a natural feeling of invincibility and superiority for anyone (male or female) driving a large vehicle--think about yourself in this position. A normal vehicle is unable to see through or around pig vehicles, and when there are multiple lanes, SUV's and large pick-ups everywhere, we as motorcyclists have little chance there. I read an interesting statistic the other day published by the Federal Government following some extensive research into SUV's. The conclusion was very straight forward--SUV's kill many, many more people than vehicles of any other type. But the interesting part for me was that SUV drivers are themselves killed at the same rate as the drivers of any type vehicle. Obviously the myth of safety for the driver is a misnomer, yet they kill others at an alarming rate. The political and environmental arguements against these pig vehicles is so overwhelming that they should be banned on that basis alone.

Bryan
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 05:07 PM   #13
ZX7Rrider
Founding Member

That's the exact same thing I was thinking. I almost can't count how many times a person on their cell phone as pulled out in front of me or just changed lanes without looking. Just recently I stopped at the scene of an accident where a mini-van pulled out in front of a F4i and all the police said was, "oh, i guess she just didn't see him" .............. so instead of jail time she gets a citation for an improper turn.
ZX7Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:38 PM   #14
CarsSuck
Founding Member

No it's not silly. They already see motorcycles. It can be physically proven that if their eyes point in your direction and are open the light bouncing off you will register on their retinas. Their subconscious dismisses you because they're not really paying attention. The problem is not visibility. There's nothing that attention grabbing about black and white and yet the police bikes always get noticed. No it is not silly to demand that other drivers pay attention--it's already the law! Why do you think the DMV does vision tests? And for some of us, we are not just starting to demand this--many people have demanded it for a long time regardless of how successful they've been. The cars were not there first, we were! No more excuses, people need to start going to jail if they won't take responsibility for their driving.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:02 PM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

Yeah, I read something about that on the web, It's because body on frame vehicles don't absorb impact energy like cars with uni-body construction and crumple zones that dissipate and channel impact energy away from the driver and passengers. Of course they paste the hell out of whatever they hit because thay weigh so much more than your average car and sit higher and generaly handle like bricks. I think a possible clue to higher accidents and fatalitys may be found in the lines of shiney cruiser's parked outside taverns on every nice weekend I see as I ride past, I also talked to a guy awhile back on an RC 51, turns out it was his first bike. I know its a free country and you only go as fast as your right hand tells you but I feel that whoever sold him the bike might have at least tried to point him towards something more appropriate for his skill level. So we have riders who maybe a little impaired, riders who maybe a little over their heads as far as skill level and bike choice, and errant motorist with their heads up their asses and a lot more new riders and drivers on the roads. Throw in little nazi-boy beanie helmets and chaps with tennis shoes [my favorite] and there's your answer .
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:45 PM   #16
Grappelli
Registered Member

The issues are more complex than "SUV driving cell phone murderers", although I think they are a horrific new addition to the overall problem. Training and responsibility are fundamental.

Think of this, the motorcycle test in CA consists of a few questions and the ability to ride the bike in a circle. The car test is more complex, but only just. Many people simply don't know how to drive or ride safely. Ok so the bike test (sort of) assumes that the rider can drive, but look at the driving standards. Just as I see loony SUV manouvers, I see riding that is just plain stoopid. (Yes you, Mr. Guzzi rider on the 10 east. I was behind you.)

Now think of this - the last time you went to traffic school, how many people there amazed you by their incredible ignorance of the rules of the road? (Not you of course.... you were only there 'cos you didn't spot the fuzz in time to slow down.. you KNOW the way it should be done, unlike them. Still need to be more attentive though, eh?)

So what about making the test cover more of what driving is really about then? What about an element on freeway driving? Reversing? Emergency stops and maneuvers? I've done driving and riding tests in various countries over the years and these are definitely the easiest by a mile.... I won't even talk about periodic retesting...

If you want people to know how to drive well, you need at least to have a testing system that requires them to know how to drive at the time they do the test. A gentle coast around a few city blocks or riding in a circle doesn't do it.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:19 AM   #17
gypsydr
Founding Member

Good point. In Va., all you have to do is ride the bike to one end of the DMV parking lot, turn around and come back...without falling over. How about requiring the MSF course to get a m/c endorsement on your pemit? And shouldn't drivers--cage and m/c alike--have to be retested every so often? But can you imagine the howls about overbearing, intrusive government?
gypsydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:25 AM   #18
gypsydr
Founding Member

Any data on (dare I say it?) helmet use? Haven't more states repealed their helmet laws in the past few years? What effect, if any, does that trend have on the increase in fatalities?
gypsydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:36 AM   #19
flatass
Founding Member

i hope you collected 6 figures plus from the kids insurance.
flatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 04:30 AM   #20
Grover
Founding Member

Regarding the "I am invincible!" factor that comes from driving an SUV, my girlfriend recently swapped cars with her dad for a couple months. Don't tell her I said so, but she's actually a pretty good driver, when she's in her Grand Prix. The first day she had her dad's Blazer I thought I was going to die riding with her. She was braking later, turning faster etc. etc. I pointed this out to her and she said "I feel more in control."

I about died. I then explained how the opposite was true and that feeling of control was more of an illusion than anything else. Once I pointed out to her what she was doing she paid attention to her driving style and confirmed what I'd told her. Now she drives the Blazer normally and tells me about all the other people she sees on the road who probably feel the way she felt originally.

So, there's my one example how all that needs to be done is a bit of explaining (not just a warning on the driver-side vanity mirror) about the handling woes of SUVs, and people might catch on.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote