Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-12-2002, 12:34 PM   #31
99R6
Founding Member

Default Re: So what exactly did you do?

obviously... u need to study some of Plato... basically the Gygies rings part to understand that u are sadly half informed about the distinction between self interest and selfishness.... not everyone is selfish as suggested.... get some philosophy classes Socrates
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2002, 12:36 PM   #32
99R6
Founding Member

Default Re: So what exactly did you do?

Ahhh........ The counterfeit wisdom of shallow minds
Old 04-12-2002, 12:40 PM   #33
99R6
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

I guess that u cant legislate ignorance, right? its a shame though
Old 04-12-2002, 12:59 PM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Some counter points:

1. We would never be involved in the Middle East if it wasn't for oil. Do you seeing us getting involved in South America lately.

2. The Israeli-Palestinian complicates things and pisses off Arabs not our excesses (which include buying lots of their oil).

3. If you can afford to buy and run an SUV go for it but don't complain when US youth has to go fight wars over it. Its a free country but buying gas hog SUVs doesn't help our country.

4. Its OK to buy an over 100 hp bike cause it still gets over 34 mpg.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:59 PM   #35
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Everyone has the answer and no one is listening!

JB inspired some interesting commentary from readers. A general observation: Why do we feel the need to dig up the dirt in our neighbor's yard when the dirt in our own yard is perfectly well-soiled? Muslim or Jew, sportbiker or cruiser, american or armenian - it doesn't matter. Nobody likes a selfish, pompous, ignorant, oppressive attitude. I keep reminding myself that an open mind opens doors. JB speaks to this in his second-to-last paragraph.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:28 PM   #36
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: Everyone has the answer and no one is listening!

I needed to be more specific in my above comments - I wasn't referring so much to us as americans. On the contrary, I'm referring to some of the posts. I can respect and learn something from a differing opinion if it's presented in a constructive, open-minded format. With that said, I again want to thank the majority of my fellow MO readers for your thought provoking input.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:38 PM   #37
granny
Founding Member

Default Selfishness vs. self-interest

The distinction between self-interest and selfishness is rather fine. Selfishness difers from self-interest in that a selfish person behaves without regard for the welfare of others. There are few people that are not to some extent selfish. Further, I'd be surprised to learn that there are any species not primarily selfish as opposed to self-interested. I doubt that self-interested species would exhibit any reproductive advantage. Perhaps you could provide an objective counter-example demonstrating that selfishness does not predominate self-interest?

Main Entry: self·ish. Pronunciation: 'sel-fish. Function: adjective. Date: 1640. 1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others. 2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others.

Main Entry: self-in·ter·est. Pronunciation: -'in-t(&-)r&st; -'in-t&-"rest, -"trest; -'in-t&rst. Function: noun. Date: 1649. 1 : a concern for one's own advantage and well-being [acted out of self-interest and fear]. 2 : one's own interest or advantage [self-interest requires that we be generous in foreign aid].
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:02 PM   #38
jtred6r
Registered Member

Mr Burns.

Good job! Very accute observations on Islamic fundamentalism.

I am glad that your "behavior" brought you to MO.

Keep up the good work. Jt
jtred6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:04 PM   #39
granny
Founding Member

Well said though the path from solar photons striking the planet to oil in oil-fields is not especially direct. Indeed, the oil producing nations have of late been careful to not allow prices to rise too greatly because they fear that the technically innovative will be economically motivated to devise ways to use less oil which in turn means less oil sold (every good pusher knows that the marks must be kept strung out). A clean fusion process (or something similar) would spell the economic death of many oil producing nations.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:13 PM   #40
DataDan
Founding Member

To me, gluttonous people driving gluttonous vehicles, is America's problem in microcosm. A nation with less than ten percent of the world's people, we burn 25% of its fuel.

Oh great. The new editor doesn't comprehend the fact that the world's biggest exporter of goods--nearly a trillion bleeping dollars a year worth of Stuff--is going to burn more dinosaurs than hand-to-mouth countries.

Fact is, the rest of the world gets back the resources you and the rest of the dimwitted leftists claim we "hog" in the form of food, clothing, tools, etc. etc.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote