Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-17-2002, 09:18 AM   #201
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

Know a thing about chafed knees, do you?
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2002, 07:22 PM   #202
grover750
Founding Member

Default Right On!

I think a point you made in the 2nd page of your comment is very important. People who buy SUVs buy them because they think their SUV will make other people think they are cool. If you tell all your friends how stupid you think SUVs are, and how stupid you think people are who buy SUVs, you will have way more of an effect than any ad.

Now get out there and bash SUVs!!!!

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:26 AM   #203
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: SUV drivers ARE idiots!

Hey, Viffer-dude, read my posts carefully. You will notice that my thinking is mostly about taking personal responsibitly for one's self and the consequences of one's actions. Hmmm... I often vote for Democrats, but the so-called conservative Republicans talk about personal responsibility more than the Democrats do. So, if believing in thoghtfulness and responsibility makes me a hate-filled, wacko, eco, leftist, well, I guess I am guilty, then.

I don't hate you for driving an SUV, I don't hate anybody. I think you are an idiot for buying one. You have just convinced me a little further with your extremely defensive response. There are lots of choices and lots of alternatives that do the same thing an SUV does for most SUV drivers. There are a few people who actually need an SUV, but for most, it is a fashion statement or a "safety" purchase.

It is not just about resources or inconsiderate behavior. It is about self-centeredness and self-importance. Sure, lots of people are inconsiderate. The SUV driver wraps his sorry butt in a huge inefficient mass of sheet metal, transferring the consequences of his inattention or inconsideration onto somebody else. If a rider isn't paying attention, he is the one who will pay the price. An SUV driver squashes the other guy. Are you so important that you must be isolated from the world and its hazards? Are you more important than the guy in the Geo Metro or a pedestrian? Have you thought about things that way, ever once in your life? Just asking...
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 05:17 AM   #204
runner00
Founding Member

Default Re: Selfishness vs. self-interest

Intellectual *******. Did I spell that right Plato? Go play with your categorical imperatives.

Kant head.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 08:20 AM   #205
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

...and..?

Those yuppies are now in even more dangerous vehicles.

The fact is that bad drivers that recognize themselves as such take one of two paths, either they move to a city and don't drive, or they buy the biggest most "safe" (for them) vehicle they can find. Before the monster truck craze that vehicle was a Volvo. Built like a tank with various safety features, that were prominently advertised, this car was a favorite amongst the idiots who never signal, cut you off, drive 50 in the left lane, etc. It was a forgone conclusion that upon encountering a Volvo motoring down the road it was only a matter of time before they did something stupid in front of you. Now those idiots have graduated to SUV's. Along with a lot of other people who dig the status symbol thing, idiots are now driving 3-ton, top heavy, poorly suspended Low Performance Vehicles.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 11:55 AM   #206
runner00
Founding Member

Default Re: Friday Fanaticism

Well I guess we can sum this all up by saying there are a lot of jerks out there but a jerk

on a motorcycle is far less dangerous to society then a jerk in a LARGE SUV.

I'm for putting an excess tax on suv's and piping that money to the victims of their

gluttony. In NY we have parkways were no trucks are allowed and neither should suv's

be allowed.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 01:23 PM   #207
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I don't know in what circles you travel but most of (especially) the third world does indeed dislike us - a fact so overwhelmingly obvious that it is incredible that one would claim to be both well traveled and oblivious to this. Where the heck have you been staying, the Hilton?

It makes a difference, of course, if you make an attempt to speak the local language, are polite, etc., and try to act like a citizen of the world instead of an overbearing nimrod. I am sure that you are that type of person and that these are undoubtedly all personal characteristics that you have in abundance.

And you surely mean that eastern Europeans looked up to us at the end of the second world war (and to a lesser extent the Japanese) Certainly you did not mean to include the Arabs, Chinese or Europeans (1/3 the world's population) because in that case you'd be wrong.

And our imperalism is just more cleverly disguised. Why, for instance, did we covertly scheme to topple democratically elected govts all throughtout the 80's when they were leaned to the left?

And it is our fault if other countries fail if we are pulling the strings behind the scenes that do them in. Ask the folks in most of central america their opinion on this topic.

Sheesh
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 03:46 PM   #208
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

ooops.... in the above Eastern Europeans = Europeans and Europeans = Russians. Typos! Sorry.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 04:55 PM   #209
cyclesteve
Registered Member

JB, I am glad to read you again. The thought of not being able to read you in the latest motorcyclist was rather disturbing to me. You got my $11.94 last night so I could read you again. Please put your thoughts down often.

Hey it also seems Clement is wanting to say something out of the box once and a while, but is stuck within the confines of Rider. Possibly he could do a few guest columns.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 04:03 AM   #210
REKellyTx
Registered Member

Did they ever got the bike out the river.It's been several years, but it was the first of many uncommanded excursions, and I thought "to Burns" was a generic term for any mishap. Will miss yor 'Cyclist" articles. Glad I found MO.
REKellyTx is offline   Reply With Quote