Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-15-2002, 01:24 PM   #171
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: SUV drivers ARE idiots!

You bet that using less resources is a positive byproduct. But some of the other advantages- namely a very immediate connection to the surrounding world, heightened awareness of changing conditions and those around you, and personal responsibility for paying attention and being prepared are directly related to the freedom that attracts people like me to bikes.

I ride in hot and cold weather. When it rains, I get wet. I have no defroster. I don't need that stuff. On the bike, I am free of all that. My bike works for a living hauling my sorry butt to work every day. I get there awake without coffee, because I taste a little freedom and a little life on the way in. I am not wrapped in an artificial metal womb that keeps me isolated from everything and lets me avoid thinking for an extra half hour each way.

You are right- it is a choice. It is a more adventurous and intellegent choice. There is some rationalization involved, but I see the values associated with choosing to ride a bike as mostly positive, while the values associated with driving an SUV are mostly negative.

I could rant for a long time, so I better just stop now!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2002, 01:26 PM   #172
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

Default Re: SUV drivers ARE idiots!

Poser, you've been swayed by the hate-filled wacko, eco, leftists who make their arguments based on envy. You want to associate one's behavior based on how many of the earth's precious resources get used up in the process. It ain't about resources!

It's about freedom, and the right to buy what you want. You SUV-haters really make me laugh. What do you think most cagers say about bikers? They lump us all into one camp that paints us as a bunch of irresponsible, unsafe hooligans that threaten everyone else on the road with our shenanigans.

The only thing that allows us to continue to ride is the unabashed freedom that this country enjoys. Say what you want about SUVer's (I happen to have one), that's your right. But I'm amazed at the hate the left has managed to instill in you. America is about freedom, and the right to choose the product that best serves our NEED or WANT. Practicality be damned! And don't be so quick to condemn SUVer's either, since I see the same careless, inconsiderate behavior from most drivers these days - whether they're in a car or an SUV.

Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:27 PM   #173
AstonMartin
Founding Member

Default Re: So what exactly did you do?

He doesn't need to take philosophy classes...nor anyone else. Why would anyone in their right state of mind need an other moron, who's chanting someone else's words...like you are, he?
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:40 PM   #174
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

Hey Burns, if we're going to draw judgement based on the Anti-Gluttony factor(AGF), then we'd better get the AGF police force formed quickly. Then we can ensure that each type of transportation, each appliance in our home, any type of behavior exhibited - is properly judged and labeled. We could have a special AGF scale stuck to our foreheads much the same way a new Washing Machine has it's energy consumption label affixed to it's front panel. Then we could all judge each other as we amble down the road.

It's the proverbial slippery-slope. You can judge me any which-way you desire, that's your right, and really your responsibility too. You can call me a glutton if you like, but I see too many on the LEFT who want to tax me more because I engage in a behavior in which they don't approve. That's anti-American, and anti-freedom. Don't laugh, there's a nutball congresswoman here in Ca. who wants to tax soda because it's "responsible for obesity". Where does the lunacy end?

Point is, it's none of your damn business what I drive, or WHY I drive it. If you don't like my choice, I have no issue with that. But institutionalizing hate based on what one drives is what's really irking me right now. Can you tell?
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:40 PM   #175
AstonMartin
Founding Member

Default Re: You drive an SUV, You're an idiot.

I'm wondering if you were listening to the Star-Spangled Banner while writing this incredible piece. The fact is that you are an extremely shallow and ignorant person....but again, it's one of the biggest american pastime...
Old 04-15-2002, 01:49 PM   #176
AstonMartin
Founding Member

Default Re: Depends on what your definition of

You gotta go back to elementary school...you don't know the basic principals of chemistry...oh...sorry...you're american, I guess...
Old 04-15-2002, 01:49 PM   #177
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Default Monday fanaticism

Since it's Monday, not many people will see this, but...

I'm a little disappointed in some of my fellow riders who say that America is the best and we deserve to consume all that we do. That's pure nationalism and in the words of the punk band Anti-Flag "You don't have to be a racist to be a nazi f**k, your mindless nationalism gives you credentials enough". If we were "the best" nation, then we would take the responsibility to say yes, we DO have the freedom to drive and consume what we want, but we're going to be smarter than that. Unfortunately, we aren't smart or responsible about some things.

I commend Burns for this column because sometimes there ARE more important things to discuss than motorcycles. Also, thank God for someone who will not be swayed by sponsorship into writing the same things that all the other for-profit media outlets write and speak about.

Thank you Burns.

--Oh yeah, they hate us because we kill their innocent civilians (hmmm, I THINK that's called terrorism, right?) and have corporate entities in their third-world nations.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:59 PM   #178
AstonMartin
Founding Member

I can assure you that "they" know more about your culture than you know about theirs. Probably you don't even know your own culture. If you got such thing...
Old 04-15-2002, 02:06 PM   #179
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Seattle riders, unite!

Hey all you Seattle area riders- I've gotten quite a few responses to my original post, so if you ever want to meet up in person, check out the Moto Dragons: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/moto_dragons/

We're a Seattle area riders' club with a lot of cool members and we do lots of riding, cool meets, all kinds of fun stuff. If you're interested, check it out! Catch you later,

-Elliot, aka El_Flaco
Old 04-15-2002, 02:10 PM   #180
AstonMartin
Founding Member

You believe in lies?