Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #161
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

You may not realize it, but your post damaged Burns' position more than any other musing written in this thread.

Thanks.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2002, 11:06 AM   #162
mercybeat
Founding Member

Default PW50's??? you rock!

Thats a great idea! I thought a couple of KFC's resturants would work... but concidering how much money we are dropping from planes I think the PW50's would be a very cost effective option.
as for Motorcyclist...... screw them... I like you better at MO. anyway.
mercybeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:27 AM   #163
Poser
Founding Member

Default SUV drivers ARE idiots!

A Marxist friend once called me an Anarchist. I did a little research and found out he was right. He thought he could convert me. Fat chance- I ride a motorcycle every day in traffic.

What does this have to do with anything, let alone your rant? I belive that the greatest authority and the only legitimate authority is one's own common sense and willingness to assume personal responsiblity. We are individually responsible TO each other, not FOR each other. This is an important distinction.

I happen to believe very strongly in taking personal responsibility for my own actions and my own self. The idiots in giant SUVs don't take responsibility for anything. They are keeping their sorry butts safe from weather, other drivers, their own lack of skill and attention, and anything else they can squash away.

You can make your own choices here in the USA, but as far as I am concerned, if you wallow along in an SUV, you belong in a nanny state that blows your nose for you, because that is what you want: no responsibility for anything, including your own welfare or the consequences of your actions. The whole point of these SUVs is to isolate the driver from anything outside.

I ride a bike, so I have to be aware of everything around me, from road conditions to idiots in SUVs. I burn a lot less fuel, use much smaller tires, use a little less oil, and take up a whole lot less room on the road. I don't block anybody's line of sight. I don't even listen to the radio and pollute my brain with commercials. I am part of the world around me, not isolated from it. That is MY choice.

Motorcycles make less toxic waste in the manufacturing process, use smaller parts, and generally require fewer resources to make and maintain. A bike takes up about 10% of the space to park. You can put a whole bike repair shop in the same amount of space it would take to park on or two SUVs.

There is nothing good about an SUY. An SUV combines the worst features of a van, a station wagon, and a four wheel drive pickup, without the advantages of any of them. They usually have things like heated leather seats than only a sybarite would want. There are just too many idiots who buy these enormous fashion accessories. Nothing like a Lincoln Navigator with chrome wheels and brush guards.

Of course, if the general population were not such a bunch of idiots, I couldn't feel so superior, but that is another rant for another day.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:37 AM   #164
johnnyb
Founding Member

I like Don Canet's idea best: MTV SPRING BREAK KABUL!! wherein we drop in a bunch of bikini girls, Bud Lites and barbecued pork.

Hoooo, this is fun, like playing that game where you whisper something into one person's ear, by the time it comes back around, I'm in there with Fidel Castro. Hooo har...

Why is being Anti-Gluttony seen by so many of you as being anti-the-American-way? How anybody can construe being against waste with being anti-American really escapes me. Must be years of lumping environmentalism (Teddy Roosevelt was a big environmentalist) in with Left-Wing Radicalism I suppose. Who's responsible for that anyway?

I do respect your right to drive an Expedition, all I said was I think it's inconsiderate and wasteful to drive one on crowded freeways when you're alone, followed up by my (not uncommon) observation that a big reason we're not so well-like abroad is because of our, ah, inconsiderate wastefulness. It used to be a sin. That's all. jb
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:39 AM   #165
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Picking on Special Spirits

I posted similar sentiments on my sportbike mailing list last year and stared a fiery ***** storm. Since then, I have remained quiet on the subject of SUVs (Silly, Ungainly Vehicles).

I normally don't get involved in politics. I especially don't badmouth the president because my old mama taught me better than to make fun of retards.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:45 AM   #166
Poser
Founding Member

Default Points Taken and Missed

Point 1- I agree with you.

Point 2- low mass is its own reward. Try it, you might like it.

Point 3- I do commute on my bike. I put about 2500 miles on the car, mostly hauling kids. On my own, I ride in everything but driving snow.

Point 4- I won't argue. I sure like it here and don't plan to leave. Might be nice if we would admit that there are other ways of looking at things every now and then, though,

Your point 5 leaves me a little stumped. There are a number of less populated countries on the planet. A number of them are quite spread out. A little geography knowledge would help your point.

Point 6- why wasn't he in the HOV lane, anyway? Maybe there wasn't one where he needed it.

So there you have it.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:02 PM   #167
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: SUV drivers ARE idiots!

Poser, I really like some of the things you say, and agree with them. Here's the BUT: all of those positive, low impact things about motorcycles, lets be honest, that it not why we ride. That is a very positive side effect. We ride because we love the freedom a motorcycle gives us. Forgive me if I am using "WE" to liberally, but I bet "we" would still be riding them even if they were as hard on resources as SUV's (aside from the fact I would never pay 40k +) Lets not forget, they are (by in large) recreational vehicles. Otherwise.....right on.

happy riding - Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:11 PM   #168
Mooner
Founding Member

Burnsie, in light of this being a slightly under-rated topic of conversation in some people's eyes (I found it very interesting. The variety of different opinions is quite enlightening.), I'm curious how the number of posts for this article stacks up against the number for other articles. Seems like alot of people who didn't enjoy one tiny little article spent alot of time replying to it. Just an observation.

-Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:17 PM   #169
AstonMartin
Founding Member

You're seriously misinformed my dear dumb american friend.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:19 PM   #170
ccmun
Founding Member

Burnsie, Burnsie, Burnsie. Now you got all the teens getting their panties tied up.

Granted you are very right in many respects, but give some of us a break dude. I do drive a big ole SUV, and guess what? I ain't no idiot. I used to haul my around on a pick -up truck that got the same gas mileage as my current SUV. So are all those that drive pick-up trucks idiots as well? My wife drives a mini-van that does not get great gas mileage. Does that make all the soccer moms idiots?

You know what, abolishing SUVs, won't save the planet. The car guys can give us better cars of any size if they want to . Blame them and their political cronies for not wanting to make the investment to save the planet. Blame the guvment for not pricing gas at its true cost.

I know where you are coming from, but blame the cultural and econ imperialism of our leaders for the current mess we are in today.

CCMUN

ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote