Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-15-2002, 05:29 AM   #141
tedsim
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

I really dont understand the point of posting an article about right wing anti-capitalist veiwpoints regarding national energy consumption, foreign policy, or a hatred of large vehicles. It does not seem to have any relevance on a website for motorcycling. I mean, is this really a appropriate forum? This is about motorcyles; furthering knowlege on the joys of motoring and current events in the racing world, not debating religion and government.

If you were intoxicated enough at a event to warrant being fired for 'inappropriate and unprofessional behavior' I think an employer is justified in terminating you. What exactly was the behavior? While I realize Las Vegas is a rowdy town, it would seem to me that you were being a rude gluttonous American, eating up as many resources as you could.

Think about it.. you worked for Motorcyclist, and you were writing columns about religion and foreign policy and anti-American sentiment. How could you think that a motorcycle publication would have any interest in printing something like that. And then you get drunk while on a assignment? And you were fired? Wow, I am shocked too.
tedsim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2002, 05:31 AM   #142
tedsim
Founding Member

Your sick of dirty looks when you ride your single occupancy vehicle in the HOV? then stop doing it and obey the driving laws
tedsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:33 AM   #143
Rsduce
Registered Member

Hey Burns, I got one for ya. IF THEY CAN CLONE A SHEEP, WHY CANT WE MAKE OUR OWN GAS? Now im all for keeping slow traffic out of the fast lane but why be excessive? Because we EARNED IT! We saved the French, English, heck the whole damn world from nazi domination! But did these ungrateful bastards pay us back for the money we lent them to rebuild after WWII, NO. We saved the middle east from Iraqi domination, and still we get no thanks. You would think that we would figure out that history repeats itself. If you dont learn from your mistakes you are damned to repeat them. I say Nuke em till they glow and shoot em in the dark. Mad Max here we come!
Rsduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:52 AM   #144
glf5810
Founding Member

Amen Brother!
glf5810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:59 AM   #145
intruderman
Founding Member

First off, I'm a conservative republican, most people would probably call me a fundamentalist. However i agree completely with Burns' editorial.

-Yes, editorials do have a place at MO

-criticizing people who buy SUV's to be a stupid fashion accessory is a reasonable thing to do, and no, it doesn't mean he's calling for a ban on SUVs (read the article again, people).

-Understanding why the third world hates us, doesn't mean you have to agree with them. But understanding their motives is a good thing in figuring out how to respond to them. Duh!

-Those of you who accuse Burns of "being in over his head", I think you are the ones who are in over your heads.

-Burns rocks. I hope those of you who reacted so negatively WILL let your subscriptions lapse so the rest of us won't have to listen to your pathetic whining.

-Now, let's all have a group hug. Yeah.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:12 AM   #146
kman45
Founding Member

Gotta agree wholeheartedly here. In the same vein of "their toys and our toys"... I recently heard some guys blaming the death of a friend on those "crotch rocket-type bikes", "death machines" and other terms like that. What was funny was that we were at a practical pistol shooting match and these are the same guys that get irate when the press and public blame gun violence on the guns themselves. So when someone is picking on their chosen hobby they get defensive, but when picking on somebody elses hobby/decision what to drive, etc. they felt perfectly justified in blaming the inanimate object.
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:38 AM   #147
glf5810
Founding Member

Good stuff folks, there are some really smart people out there (in my opinion) and I agree that JB's writing is off the mark a bit, since freedom should not exclude SUVs. (Driving slow in the fast lane is more of a driver education problem since lots of people in every kind of car do this) Sorry I don't like SUVs but if it floats your boat then good for ya. That is what our country is all about and we help others a lot, a lot. What the word I think we are looking for is tolerance. I know for some strange reason folks don't like it when I take off hard at a light and the front wheel pops up a bit. I dig it but by the looks of others (if) they ever catch up, they think I'm putting them in danger some how or just plain don't think it's proper. I feel the same about distracted drivers. Anyhow, getting upset and cancelling a subscription is not very tolerant, neither is saying death to SUVs. It's a good rant JB, maybe a bit one-sided but a good one all the same. I especially like the part about dropping some 50cc bikes for the kids. That was a great line and I couldn't agree more. Tolerance for others is something that is neglected in most of the world, especially the third world. I think America is an excepting place hence the reason people from all over the world come here to live and to stay. We are the land of opportunity, whether that comes in 385lbs and 160hp or 4885lbs and 240hp diesel. Just don't start thinking that your freedoms and hobbies are more important that others. That said, I like the rants, keep them coming, just image how boring things would be if we all agreed all the time, wouldn't be much to talk about and we would all be riding the same motorcycle and passing the same SUV. Wow, that's a scary thought folks.
glf5810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:38 AM   #148
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: You drive an SUV, You're an idiot.

On this we can agree!!
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:39 AM   #149
blademan
Founding Member

I agree with your sentiments. I'm tired of the gluttonous utility vehicles. We been using "gluttonous" to describe the suburbanite Opra Winfrey cracker wifes that drive these things. Less than 5% of them ever see the dirt or any offroad yet everyone has to have one. People think they are safe in one, wrong, it's built on a truck platform, my Acura is safer and so are most cars in a crash. Why do Americans need these behometh, gluttony vehicles, but they want it and they think they need it. I often wonder about our country myself. WE are some gluttoness Sons o' *****es. Our car we bought 2 years ago is suddenly not good enough, we need a new one because last years model is *outdated*. Our house is now 5 years old, time to get a new one, etc. Gluttony reigns supreme in America. If we did away with these things or taxed the chit out of them, maybe they would start to go away. After all, they are a big contributor to why we are even involved in the middle east. How about instead of these fookin flags that everyone loves so much to put on their cars, let's make a bumper sticker that says *conserve fuel so we don't need the middle east, ride a motorcycle instead or drive an economy car*. LOL! The suburbanite cracker wives would have a field day. Malcolm X had a good quote years ago about all of this when JFK was shot, he said that the chickens had come home to roost. 9/11 was on the same philosophy. Our country tries to police the world constantly which isn't right. HOw would you feel if Russia, or Korea, or South Africa were always coming to our country sticking their beak in and telling us how to run our country? You wouldn't like it all and that is how these countries feel, they are pissed. I love our country but I wish we kill our gluttony and quit meddling in everyone's affairs. My $.02 Burns.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:13 AM   #150
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You win the MO Chapstick award for the largest amount of butt-kissing in one post. You will need something to soothe those blistered lips after that one.