Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-14-2002, 06:10 AM   #121
johnc
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

This is supposed to be a motorcycle related site, not a forum for the opinions of an annoying dweeb like Burns. I found his editorials to be uninteresting when he was with Motorcyclist and now he's here to annoy us with his opinions!
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2002, 06:22 AM   #122
Mooner
Founding Member

Hey J.B., are '71 Chevelles with 454s in them gluttonous? I mean, they don't even have catalytic converters. Probably get the same or worse milage than SUV's. Hee Hee Hee. Believe me, I definitely do not think we should go destroy all of these beautiful old cars. I also really hope you didn't get rid of it because you thought it was too much of a gas hog.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 08:47 AM   #123
obiwanrazzy
Founding Member

Default Re: Seattle Traffic

I grew up in Wisconsin, where we would also "flash to pass". Here in Seattle, don't ever try it. People take it as some kind of personal threat and will, at best, do what that SUV punk did to you; at worst, who knows... They say Seattle people are among the most polite in the country, but I think that is only to your face. Once they get in their cars and are reletively detached from personal contact, the passive agressive behavior really comes out.

I also just pass them on the right, and pray I don't get pasted.
obiwanrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 08:55 AM   #124
obiwanrazzy
Founding Member

Default Re: Seattle Drivers

The "Village of the Damned", as I like to call it, has to be the all time SUV Mecca.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:00 AM   #125
obiwanrazzy
Founding Member

Didn't the Focus just get a mass recall? I was actually considering getting one until I heard they were spontaneously combusting... Or something like that. Otherwise they do seem like nice cars.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:34 AM   #126
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Stupidity on display

To mis-quote Homer Simpson:

"Motorjournalists! Is there anything they don't know?"

Ah, to have an article about the joys of racing motorcycles in the same week as this drivel is fit for O. Henry.

Paraphrasing bumper stickers about 25% of the world's energy is the height of journalistic prowess. Ostensibly a journalist, perhaps you are obliged to dig deeper, as it were, to find out what the U.S. produces. Agricultural products? Computers? Life-saving Pharmaceuticals? Clean air? A market whereby a little-talented on-line journalist can make money from the personal disposable income of fellow Americans? Find out how many billion dollars in goods and services are given to other countries to promote democracy, so that women can go to school in Afghanistan, slaves are freed, and despotic regimes are overthrown worldwide. Why? To para-quote thus:

"All men are born with alienable rights; amongst these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

As for saying that foreign countries are better than America, that has got to be the most ill-informed assertion in the world.

The U.S. has a greater breath of freedom for all citizens than any other country in the world. It's why we produce most of what world consumes. People don't risk their lives, their sacred fortunes to live in Spain@ for the opportunity for better lives. They come HERE.

You, John Burns, are able to live a comfortable life writing about *recreational vehicles* because of the bounty that this country provides you.

Be Thankful for It. That guy may be a MO subscriber.

@I don't mean to pick on Spain specifically. It's just an example.

I think I just might let my subscription expire.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 11:38 AM   #127
sarnali
Founding Member

the 2000 focus had a recall on the fuel pressure sensor, I'm not sure how many actually had a problem and how many were precautionary ,but a recall on a new car or truck is not uncommon, for the price you get bags of room , a decent ride and good performance and handling, when the weather's to crappy to ride [ not uncommon in the tacoma area] I like bombing around in my 2001 focus ZX3, wich hasn't had any prolems yet. they hold up pretty well against the compact car competition, and an SVT model is coming out soon with 175 hp.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 01:17 PM   #128
BigK6
Founding Member

jb,

i believe it was cs&n that said, "parents teach your children well."

i believe america also gives its energy and resources and $$$$$$ to more deserving and undeserving countries than anybody,

i believe in our current president,

and jb i believe you outta get of of mc journalism and get a job at cnn or pmsnbc..... maybe even cosmo, Later.
BigK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:31 PM   #129
pip
Founding Member

Burnsee, I love your piece, but I can't agree with the tone and tenor of everything you say. You see, you are right about how much Americans consume and the honorable nature of most human beings. While all the other peoples of the world would wish that we would consume less, I as an American wish that these other nations, with their righteous indignation, would give more. They should give more money, more aid, more lives and assistance. I'll consume less when all the other good people of the world step up to become the creditor of last resort for some failed economic scheme the way that our country has become. I'll consume less when a european nation, other than the U.k. really steps up and becomes the worlds policeman when some dictator decides that he didn't appreciate the most recent editorial about him and decides to kill an entire city block. All the European nations talk a lot of crap but when it's time to act, they balk. If they want us to consume less, don't take our handouts.

O.k. I feel better now. By the way, if that is the real reason for your untimely departure from your previous employer, remind them that this is supposed to be America. We tolerate other opinions. I think. Is this mail read by the Bureau?

pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:29 PM   #130
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: no, it was the stock market.

Details. Without Petro dollars the Bin Laden family would not have had money to invest in tech or insurance. Petro dollars fund every Middle-Eastern terrorist organization.

Our government has decided to ignore the obvious and is spending millions of dollars to try to convince us that (yet again) drug use is the problem. One whipping boy hasn't been used this much since Hitler blamed the Jews for all Germany's problems. I can't wait for the next one, maybe drug use caused the national debt? The decline of the abalone in California? Stinky feet?

Could it be that pointing out where our money is going might hurt the source of all that soft money? Just a thought.
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote