Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-13-2002, 06:46 PM   #101
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

Ditto, man!! I'd never buy an SUV, and I agree that they are loathsome and do have an indirect effect on us allv- but I respect the SUV owner's freedom of choice. If we want to make a difference, let's do so with constructive actions - not narrow-minded words. As I said, lead by example.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2002, 06:51 PM   #102
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: You drive an SUV, You're an idiot.

"Pursue your dreams, enjoy your life, keep it legal, don't judge others."

Okay, I'm with you on this. But there has to be balance. Remember the famous quote: "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

So if your SUV causes a traffic hazzard, my nose is starting to get out of joint. Still, I'm willing to seek a balance...

Consider 18-wheeler semi trucks. These cause a traffic hazzard, too. But these commercial transport vehicles really are essential to our "great economic engine," so the added risk they create may be worth the benfit they bring. In other words, there is a balance between the added risk and the added benefit.

An SUV with a few passengers creates added risk on the highways, but it doesn't offer any added benefit like a semi truck delivering goods.

The tricky part is deciding when balance is achieved. That's where democracy comes in... I still vote that people who drive SUVs are gluttons.

I don't mean this as a slight to you, personally. You sound like someone I could call a friend. We just happen to dissagree on the issue of SUVs.

So keep having fun on the dark side, but c'mon, man. Your SUV is blocking my view of the highway, and I can't practice the SIPDE technique they taught in motorcycle safety school.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:04 PM   #103
SilverBullet
Founding Member

OK, back to the facts:

* US less than 10% of world population

* US uses up more than 25% of Worlds energy

We can ALL do something HERE to make resources last a little longer.

Burns was just giving us a hint of why the rest of the world may not like us: we are GLUTONOUS, more so than the rest of the world.

Smell the coffee.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:08 PM   #104
Vlad
Registered Member

Another excellent tirade, JB. Hey, you forgot to mention that terrorism is financed by the purchase of the sacred jurrassic juice. Fifteen of the nineteen hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. And Saudi Arabia gets its money from the sale of oil. So every time somebody fills up the tank of his Brontosaurusmobile, he's also donating to the movement for international terrorism, in addition to making our highways unsafe and puking excess carbon dioxide into the air.

Let's raise the price of gas to $4 a gallon. I don't care. I ride a motorcycle. And I'm sick of getting dirty looks from the twirps in Bronto-mobiles every time I swoosh by them in the HOV lane.

Do I sound like I'm pissed at their disgusting display of irresponsible behavior? I am.

Pass the Paxil.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:10 PM   #105
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Silly answer. "We can afford it" would imply that we are entitled to take resources away from the rest of our fellow human beings. What makes us better than the rest? What gives us the right to abuse our power?

Mind your brothers.

Old 04-13-2002, 07:13 PM   #106
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Amen!
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:23 PM   #107
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Yeah, I don't care if he drinks... he's cool.

Old 04-13-2002, 07:44 PM   #108
12er
Founding Member

Did everyone forget that Bush and Cheney are OIL MEN? How better to line your own pocket than make up the rules. Also the whole Afganistan thang is due to the UNICAL pipeline that we want to run through down to the indian ocean in Pakistan. Funny how Pakistan, someone we werent too friendly with suddonly became our biggest fan when this all went down. Clinton had funded the Taliban back in the 90's with the thinking that some form of control was better than none and the pipeline project could go forward. Granted that was an obvious mistake in hindsight.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:48 PM   #109
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Aren't you disgressing? Yes, the US have provided "help" to nations around the world. I am positive that you are not naive enough to think that the US did it out good heart and good will. If there's one thing we're good at is making a profit and looking after our interests. Nothing is free and we are good investors.

I don't think JB was trying to point out how great european countries are, he just used them as an example of how bad WE are in terms of our "highway etiquette". In my own experience not only european contries are better than us at this, but most other nations I've driven at (South America, Western Europe, Asia, etc).

Now, on the government issue I am entirely with you. We the people have control over who governs and how we do it. If you don't like it change it, we have that oportunity.

Old 04-13-2002, 07:50 PM   #110
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: You drive an SUV, You're an idiot.

You will never be held up by my SUV. The question is can you keep up? It is about how people drive NOT WHAT THEY DRIVE!!!!!!!!!
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote