Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-03-2002, 05:11 AM   #51
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: squid>no backbone

See the cartoon section for a definition. Has to do with the squid's path through heavy traffic at high speed.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 05:43 AM   #52
zelatore
Registered Member

Default Re: A good thing gone bad

Oh, that's the best post yet! LOL!
zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:47 AM   #53
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Amazing

I love it: one reader doesn't understand the author's intended sarcasm, and thus ignites a nasty flame war.

Take it easy, everybody. Breathe.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:10 AM   #54
Haru
Founding Member

Default Kawasaki Motor didn't even like the Ninja name

I understand that the word ninja has fairly negative/dishonourable conotations in Japanese culture, and when some one at kawasaki USA hit upon the idea in the early 80s of naming the GPz900 a Ninja, Kawasaki Motor were extremely resistant because they did not understand the effect the word had on western, particularly American, minds. He fought for it, and won approval to use, and the rest is history.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:13 AM   #55
seruzawa
The Toad

A good theory, however our courts still operate on the jury system. I don't give much optimism for the bikers' future if the victims families decide to pursue a civil suit. And these sorts of irresponsible crudbrains deserve any consequences that happen to them.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:26 AM   #56
Van
Founding Member

Hey, maybe the description of "Ninjas" was specific and accurate. Maybe those bikes actually were Ninjas, and not just sportbikes in general.

Believe it or not, and I'm hard pressed to understand why, but some people still do actually ride Ninjas.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:28 AM   #57
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Speed

Were the two women "on" the Honda Civic then? I think you misread the article. "That Civic hit another motorcycle, killing two women on it."
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:45 AM   #58
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Hearsay

I don't think you understand the principle of "personal knowledge" in the definition of hearsay. It means that the witness either must have measured the speed of the riders (ie radar/ladar), seen the speedometer of the offending motorcycles, or they were pacing the motorcycles, and knew the speed at which they were travelling. Unless this is the case, all they can say is that the motorcycles were travelling faster than them (if the witnesses were in cars) or faster than the rest of traffic. They can also add whether or not they felt in their opinion much faster the cyclists were travelling (ie: a lot faster, a little faster, whatever). Carrying this further (just to the edge of ridiculousness) the witnesses did have "personal knowledge" as to the make and probably model of the bikes (unless the decals had been removed, or were obscured) but they were all labled as "ninjas". Now, I know that is a bit of a reach, but it may or may not say something as to the ability of the witnesses to make a judgement call on the speed of a motorcycle, if they cannot remember anything beyond the style of bike involved.

Thankfully, I was taught more than to beware the big round number. Do you really think that people only know one thing? Surely you don't, as you clearly have some intelligence behind your arguments (you don't misspell many words, either, but "real important" just doesn't sound correct to me whether it is or not, but I digress), but why post such negativisms?

I am not arguing the case of these cyclists, I think they should get the book thrown at them, I also agree that stupid acts shouldn't be done in public, and would argue as to whether or not they should be done at all (I try to avoid them entirely). I also agree that they may have been traveling in excess of 100 mph (I can get going that fast on my VFR passing a large vehicle, just on a regular pass, and I'm not on a real sportbike or "ninja"). I wonder if it was sustained 100 mph speeds, or just one quick burst. Either way, what a tragedy! I can't imagine having to live with the fact that people died or were made to suffer as a result of something I did.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:48 AM   #59
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Just another symptom

You're being far too kind to the common run of journalists. A degree in journalism is one of the absolutely easiest to get, even easier than other junk-degrees like psychology or liberal arts. For every journalist with a job there are a thousand others with degrees working at MacDonalds. If you have a junkalism degree and want a job you basically have to become a prostitute who will twist facts and even just make up lies for the purpose of giving your boss what he wants.

Every single instance that I've seen reported in the news that I knew about directly I found to be reported falsely and misleadingly for the purpose of sensationalism OR at the orders of the editor/owner for the purpose of attacking some person or group he didn't like.

Facts have nothing to do with journalism or the evening news. It has really become pointless to read newspapers or watch the news unless you just like to get BSed or upset.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:14 PM   #60
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default A much better story

...were the 2 women that were killed riding one of the offending "ninjas" or were they innocent bystanders (so to speak)?

Thank God, you're on topic! I haven't been able to track down the original news article, but what if they were? What an opportunity for compound bigotry: Women on Ninjas.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote