Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-02-2002, 01:23 PM   #31
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Speed

I don't disagree with you at all, longride, my only question is how did joe-public eyewitness figure they were "traveling at speeds up to 100 mph"? Sounds like a bad case of hearsay (Law. Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony.) Do these cyclists have grounds for libel? Probably not, but too bad the papers can get away with printing garbage like that, mentioning it right after the police report, lending it authority to the less careful reader.

I was taught to always beware the big, round number (it's usually a gross exaggeration or an uneducated guess). My guess is somebody somewhere said, "they were flying, I'll bet the were going, like, a hundred," and that is what was printed.

Another question, speaking of bad news media and reporting, were the 2 women that were killed riding one of the offending "ninjas" or were they innocent bystanders (so to speak)?

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2002, 03:55 PM   #32
tedsim
Founding Member

Default Re: Speed

No, the 2 women were in the car that the motorcycle hit.. Its a case of irresponsible cycling that hurts us all.
tedsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 04:03 PM   #33
tedsim
Founding Member

Default Re: Conspiracy or Testosterone?

This is a case of people not taking responsibiltiy for safe driving.. anything else is trivial. People are dead because of unsafe cycling. People die all the time from every kind of vehicle on the road, for many reasons that really boil down to the same thing... drive safer, take your time and slow the f down.
tedsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 05:31 PM   #34
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Conspiracy or Testosterone?

People are dead because of unsafe cycling.

Correct, but way off-topic.

You can rest assured that on every day of the year, some motorcyclist somewhere will do something stupid that will get himself or someone else killed. That's been the case for many decades, it will continue to happen for many more. It's not news, unless you personally know someone involved.

The point of repeating the story here is that the news agency is generalizing sporting motorcycles by referring to them with one company's registered trademark, regardless of whether the vehicles involved were of that brand.

It's a shallowness of reporting that bespeaks a larger underlying problem in the news media. If they can't get the simple facts straight, how can you trust them to get the more complex details across correctly?

Honda Interceptor, Kawasaki Ninja.... whatever. Two killed, one killed, what's the diff? How can you trust someone who will just blurt out silly garbage like this? You can't.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #35
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Just another symptom

Its TRUE, don't always believe what you read, hear or view. What used to be Journalism has become a product. In my profession I am all too often hounded by the media (NO, I'm not a politician) hoping for a juicy comment. From personal experience, I have found many reporters lack responsibility to fairly present the facts (too boring) but feel the competitive need to break big stories or entertain the sensationalistic hunger of the public at the expense of others. Many reporters also lack the basic understanding of the subject they are assigned to write about. Not all reporters (or lawyers) are bad. But keep in mind the time pressure placed on these individuals to earn a living by filling newspapers and air time with CONTENT that produces results ($) in the form of readers, listeners and viewers. Unfortunately, America is a FAST food society. The media is responding to the wishes of the public for a quick (sound) bite thats digests easily without really having to chew too hard -- like advertising. (A communications professor one described this as appealing to our irreducible basic assumptions) Enough Dennis Miller already. As a motorcyclist on this forum, I'd like to think we are more individualistic (and cynical) than the norm and are careful about what we swallow. Keep it real.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:18 PM   #36
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Default Re: A good thing gone bad

This is an open question to those of you who may want to take a stab at it. I see and read the word "squidd" applied to so many applications and types of riders that I would be curious as to how some of you define it; as precisely as possible please. I have a picture of a "squidd" in my own mind--but I'm curious. Any takers?

Thanks, Bryan
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:58 PM   #37
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz
Founding Member

Hmmmm funny. I always see a Kawasaki rider,namely Izutsu, finishing ahead of any Suzuki rider. And there is the standing for both rider and manufacturer. That goes to show you that maybe the bike is not everything and has something to do with how good the rider is.
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 07:01 PM   #38
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz
Founding Member

yeah... talk about being stuck in 93!
Old 04-02-2002, 07:06 PM   #39
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz
Founding Member

NICE TRY!... who is the ignorant moron now.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:20 PM   #40
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

A squid is someone who uses a motorcycle as a platform for cheap thrills, largely of the wheelie/stoppie/burnout/anything one-handed variety. A squid is someone interested more in showing off and attracting attention, preferably something potentially sexual, than in real riding. Squids usually don't wear adequate protective gear (don't want to mess their hair or cover the tattoos) and ride bikes way too powerful for their own skills (not just for wheelies, but also ego gratification). Squids have that know-it-all attitide when talking about untruths like the "Bakersfield line." Finally, squids are the morons who keep crashing, giving the sport a bad reputation and jacking up everyone's insurance prices.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote