Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-02-2002, 08:35 AM   #11
john
Founding Member

Default Re: A good thing gone bad

Such a great argument for lane sharing, there is plenty of room on most 2 lane roads for 2 cars and a motorcycle to be side by side, no swerving or running off the road neccessary. Its just that nobody is trained to handle a vehicle with any amount of precision. WHen in doubt, swerve????

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2002, 09:10 AM   #12
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Yeah, I see that, but does the insurance company or the cops see it as an unavoidable accident?
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:19 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

No, actually they aren't going to ban 18 wheelers no matter how dangerous they are in reality or fantasy. Mainly because they have the purpose of transporting goods across the nation, and would be very difficult to replace, while motorcycles have really no purpose that other vehicles cannot fulfill. Can motorcycles get banned? Absolutely.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:23 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Take a reading comprehension test there John. The motorcycle in question was in the ONCOMING lane. This was going to be a HEAD_ON collision if the car didn't swerve. So here is a hint. If a motorcycle is traveling at you at 100+ I think you better swerve too.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:32 AM   #15
flying_hun
Founding Member

And we call those separate highways railroads.... Safe, separated, and far more fuel efficient. No, I'm not in that business.

In my area (Sacramento, CA) there have been a number of huge fatal accidents on I-5 south of downtown during the past year or so caused by speeding semis losing control. No calls for bans yet. It couldn't have anything to do with an effective (bought politicians with campaign contributions) lobby from the trucking industry.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:36 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

How do you think they transport those goods to and from the trains?
Old 04-02-2002, 09:37 AM   #17
banda
Founding Member

Default Just another symptom

This kind of report is an obvious product of America's continuing journalism crisis. Take a look at this web page [mgeneral.com] for a particularly insightful analysis of how and why the traditional news media slaughters the facts in order to make money.

For those too tired to click through, an excerpt:

"Journalism is in a state of disorientation brought on by rapid technological change, declining market share, and growing pressure to operate with economic efficiency. In a sometimes desperate search to reclaim audience, the press has moved toward sensationalism, entertainment, and opinion."

The web page goes on to describe the 5 points that characterize the American news media's backslide into mistrust:

[*]A Never-Ending News Cycle, which means in essence that the pursuit of hot headlines surpasses the need for in-depth truth [*]Sources Controlling The News, which means that the press are being leveraged by those with savvy and influence to serve the purpose of a select few [*]The Loss Of Gatekeepers, which means that there are now so many "news organizations" that anybody's definition of "news," no matter how deficient, can be packaged and sold [*]Argument Over Reporting, which means that assertion, commentary, or free-wheeling debate, alone, becomes news -- even if they're grossly unfair and unsubstantiated [*]A Blockbuster Mentality, which means that the major media will do anything to come up with a story BIG ENOUGH to meld diverse audiences together and thereby give them a bigger (albeit temporary) draw

The worst part of this sorry truth is that American politicians take their cues from our crummy news media and campaign on platforms relating to poorly researched and overly sensationalized "stories." That leaves small special interest groups (like motorcyclists) open to attack by politicians and public opinion based on reporting that has neither been researched, verified, nor passes any kind of reasonable "sniff test" by learned experts.

Scary stuff.

banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:43 AM   #18
dwindhorst
Founding Member

In a head-on collision, undoubtedly so.
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:54 AM   #19
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

You are a little late buddy, Akira is the test rider for the ZX?RR GP bike. Isutzu and Walker (and a little Bostrom for 4-6 races) are the WSBK riders this year.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:54 AM   #20
dominatr37
Founding Member

You hit the nail right on the head, buddy. It's funny, when a car driver cuts down a motorcyclist, you never even hear of it, especially how fast the car was traveling. But when some horses ass on a sport bike does something moronic, they make sure to put in exactly what the guy was doing at the time of the accident. And believe me, I'm not defending the guy on the sport bikes. 100 mph in an obviously residential area is really stupid. But , we've all just been pigoen-holed again. Thanks morons, whoever you were. You just made it tough on the rest of us once again. Why don't they give a litmus test before selling these things?

Oh and by the way, this isn't only aimed at sport bike riders, the Cruiser/Harley set, are for the most part, the most underskilled riders I've ever seen.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote