Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
RedRaider
Banned

Default The death of Print Rags? Cycle Word up for sale

Funny right before I was banned on Cycle World, CW, I had a argument with CWs editor where I criticized his website and said it shouldn't play second to its magazine. He said I was nuts. Now looks like soon he might be looking for a new job on successful motorcycle web sites like motorcycle.com Motorcycle.com has made tremendous progress in last couple of years. Kevin, Pete, Fonzie and others deserve tremendous credit as do the forum characters. Motorcycle.com is now the premier motorcycle website not just in America but the world as the ratings and web hits prove. I really am optimistic for motorcycle web sites and pessimistic for all print rags. Print rag stories are old before they are printed, the pictures are no longer superior to what is on the web now, the racing news, news shorts, product reviews are inferior in timeliness and number to what is on the web. Every day another news paper goes out of business and it just a matter of time for the motorcycle print rags. More and more journalistic talent is concentrating on the web. Motorcycle.com is evidence of that.
Read More.

Last edited by mscuddy : 03-29-2009 at 09:48 PM.
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So let me guess, you were right AGAIN?? You also said this place sucked and it was going to go down the tubes without a genius like you. The only time it really sucks here is guess when?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Hate to defend him when he's right, but the guy I wrote for couldn't generate enough to go to print those last two months. It's not just print rags, but newpapers and periodicals that are taking a hit. It's a format that's time has passed.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I hate to disagree, but...

There will always be print media (at least in my lifetime). As the internet and WWW evolve, it will only serve to push out of business print media that is substandard and underperforming. Top quality periodicals will survive, even if/when readership declines.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

"Funny right before I was banned on Cycle World"

You were also telling them how open minded they were and how MO wouldn't tolerate you.

Anyway, bring your laptop to the beach and we'll see how well it works. Of course the sight of you at the beach might make everyone vomit onto their magazines which would make them as worthwhile as a sand-filled laptop.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

All hail Captain Obvious.

Doc_Sproc has the True of it, but anyone with a computer could see the rise of non-print media. I only wonder what took YOU so long to notice, Kcherry-picker?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
RedRaider
Banned

Buz thought you might want to know that some resorts have wireless for their beaches. Heck our barn (stables) has wireless. Riders refer to the stables as the barn. longride have to admit I was wrong about MO. Kevin, Pete, Fonzie have really done a great job. The ride was great. My girl kept up with me on her 250. She is just an jock. She kicks my butt on a horse. Now to dinner. Good night boys.
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
mugwump58
Registered Member

I've let most of my subscriptions go, as far as motorcyle mags are concerned. MCN will always have a place in my mail box. The other mags just, umm, yeah sucked. I've still got Rider too, for some reason that magazine doesn't piss me off. I can't imagine a world completely devoid of print, a good book, a good article, a good newspaper on a screen is not for me.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Bottom line is you can't take a computer in the can with you. Even a laptop is unweildy, that said I get the AMA magazine and the Harley one. The only ones I pay for are Automobile and MCN. Sometimes I pick up a copy of The Horse BSC or Classic Bike or even BIKE for a Brit perspective but that's it for me. I let my other subs drop one by one..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

There hasn't been a truly decent print rag in the USA since Cycle was killed-off in the late '80s.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote