Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
There hasn't been a truly decent print rag in the USA since Cycle was killed-off in the late '80s.
The Horse BC is more than a decent print rag. The rest are mostly Fluff with a small amount of peanut butter.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Top quality periodicals will survive, even if/when readership declines."

Score one for Dr. Pulley.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #13
pplassm
Founding Member

If CW pases, I will miss it. While not always the best, it always covered the broad spectrum of motorcycling better than any other periodical, anywhere, on any medium.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I have never subscribed to anyting but Roadracing World and will continue. Notice a few here like MCN, what makes it so appealing for those that subscribe to it?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #15
mugwump58
Registered Member

I forgot the mention RRW, hard copy and electronic. Classy, glossy and chock full of info.

MCN? No ads, straight forward reviews. I consider it the "BEST MAGAZINE". Oh yeah just went to color print. I even keep them.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #16
pdad13
Founding Member

Although there is a fair amount of truth to what socko has said, it's certainly not a brilliant bolt of insight. Many have been saying the same things for ten years.

I'm with Sprocket, LR, Buzz, and the others; the Web will never be able to offer some of the things that traditional print does. Newspapers are really suffering because they get a large amount of revenue from classified ads, which are mostly going to the Web. There will always be a market for some lifestyle and enthusiast mags, but there won't be as many. The ones that survive will be the ones who figure out the best way to make their digital and print assets compliment each other best.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

I find it interesting that everyone posting so far focuses on the aspects of moto-journalism that I largely rely on the on-line community to provide.

The words I read in Cycle World transcend mere product evaluations and bike comparisons. I treasure the more insightful articles about riding, going through life with motorcycles, and the wide variety of moto-life.

Online magazines have yet to cover the satisfaction that I get for a very reasonable price, from print magazines.

I won't even mention dirt riding coverage. CW doesn't do that much anymore, anyway.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Imagine how the motorcycle parts industry feels let alone the Magazine publications.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
The words I read in Cycle World transcend mere product evaluations and bike comparisons. I treasure the more insightful articles about riding, going through life with motorcycles, and the wide variety of moto-life.

Online magazines have yet to cover the satisfaction that I get for a very reasonable price, from print magazines.
Good point. For ride stories, I guess we'll have to rely on Cuddy and Sarnali. Speaking of which, when do we get the next one, guys?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #20
pushrod
Founding Member

I find it difficult to read articles on a computer, even though I'm stared at by two fairly large monitors all day. Much more than the 'newser' format, and I can't hang with it.

I get four print mags; Motorcycle Consumer News (not MCN, or Motor Cycle News, out of the UK), Motorcyclist, the AMA magazine and Car and Driver.

Oh, I also get Consumer Reports in print format.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote