Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-05-2002, 09:16 AM   #1
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Biker gangs?

I thought we had a big discussion a while back with every Harley rider claiming that this type of stuff was merely hype created by the media & movies? I guess not......Perhaps some of these tough-looking yet supposedly warm-hearted HOG enthusiasts aren't really the great people they've been purported to be.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2002, 09:38 AM   #2
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Media hype or a growing concern?

Ok, I'll start.

I am a Harley and BMW Rider. This is the exact same crap that the fine folks in North Carolina used as justification for the harrassment we (BMW Riders Association, a known group of rowdies - right) recieved at Fontana Village a few years back. They said 10,000 bikers were comming up to rumble with us! The biggest problem there was cowboy redneck southern stereo-typical cops. (no need to flame me on this, I have friends who are cops, were at the rally and very embarrassed by the idiots hiding behind badges up there)

The National Gang Crime Research Center also says that ABATE is a nasty Outlaw organization. As soon as I read about the rumble in New York, knew these asses would come out of the wood works. I believe little or nothing these folks say, they have proven to be idiots in the past, doubt if that has changed.

Don't know about the problems the Pagans and Hells Angles have, none down here in Georgia. If there is a problem, it will be localized. The HA have way to much to lose with this stupidity that could end up as a RICO thing. Mighty strange that no Hells Angles were arrested. Kind of hard to look like the bad guys when your club is hosting an open motorcycle gathering and were obviously ambushed. Looks to me like the Pagans went looking for trouble and found it, in spades. The Hells Angles have been around a long time (as have the Outlaws for that matter. They don't like each other and have not done this insanity for decades!) and know what they can get away with and can/will put up with.

Am I worried, no. But just in case, when I go to Sturgis this year, I am riding my K1200LT, (that's a BMW for the uninitiated. Allegedly the brand of choice for clubbers when not wearing the patches) it's Canyon Red (kinda the color of dried blood) please don't shoot me...

bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:42 AM   #3
bigjames
Premium Member

One more thing, the sausage king knows where he can put that sausage. Get off that high horse and actually meet and get to know these Harley riders. You will be pleasantly surprised, even the truly big bad ass ones are actually ok decent people, but like most folks, when you ***** them, off they react most negatively. As most non-Harley riders do...

bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:43 AM   #4
intruderman
Founding Member

I don't think it's hype. Their comments seemed to be aimed only at the Outlaw bikers, not bikers in general. I hope the guy who had the first post doesn't think your typical HOG enthusiast is an Outlaw biker. All the ones I know, and I know a lot of them, are just middle/upper class guys with a case of midlife crisis.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:46 AM   #5
intruderman
Founding Member

Hey, what happened to the first comment? The one I was referring to just disappeared. I wasn't talking about your comment, Big James.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:55 AM   #6
Dryfly
Registered Member

I've found that a lot of people who aren't biker friendly, believe that the vast majority of riders are somehow directly related to this type of s*****. It's unfortunate because it puts a bad face on everyone. The ones who aren't law abiding should have been left in the catering hall to shoot it out. If they don't have any regard for a person's life, I sure won't miss them.

D.
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:58 AM   #7
Dryfly
Registered Member

Hey, what's up with the *****? Since when is the word s***** bad???? Censorship has begun. Welcome Russia Online!!
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:11 AM   #8
fwalters
Founding Member

Default Re: Media Hype...

I just glad to see a few bikers are taking the terrorism thing serious enough to be prepared for it.

Phsyco's are roaming this country with anthrax and possibly nuclear weapons, and we're supposed to get scared because of a couple of wacked out bikers? Hey, read the news, dozens of people are killed everyday buy guys that wear ties, maybe we should start being scared of guys in suits too...

Get real.
fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:12 AM   #9
banda
Founding Member

Perhaps the Pagans were getting off their collective high horse and trying to "get to know" the Hell's Angels?

So just what is the right way to get to know Harley riders? Do you just saunter up and say "Hey, nice bike! I'm not interrupting a gang war here, am I? 'Cos if you're about to assassinate one of your rivals, I could come back another time."

Do you remember the classic "Far Side" cartoon... it had an angry dog, teeth bared, fur up, a puffer fish with all its spikes extended, a snorting bull pawing at the ground, and a guy in a trench coat with an inflatible horsie life-preserver, a shoe on his head and a bazooka. The caption read "How nature says 'Stay Away'"

If you're smart, you'll add the image of the "outlaw biker" to that mental menu of encounters to be avoided.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:14 AM   #10
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Just more reasons to not like "bikers"

On a recent short trip, I pulled up to a restaurant and parked. People were sitting outside, having lunch. I got the usual "here comes trouble" looks from the families seated outside. Was it my loud Harley, black leather and biker glare that caused this reaction? I don't think so, seeing as I was on my stock (quiet) ZX-11, wearing sportbike gear and have a very Republican haircut. No, it was the simple fact I was on a motorcycle- any motorcycle- that immediately labeled me a lower life form. We all still have a long way to go, and bikers shooting into crowds and wearing bulletproof vests is not exactly helping.

It seems for the last few years, motorcycle people had finally turned their image from "hellions" to "independent types" to "cool people who ride." It only takes a few sensational stories and perhaps a popular movie to erase all that progress and remind everyone that the original stereotypes were right on the money. Thanks a bunch, biker boys. You are again ruining it for the rest of us, and I know you don't give a damn.

GOB