Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-06-2002, 02:52 AM   #51
CBRunner
Founding Member

Default Re: Media hype or a growing concern?

I guess what really bothers me the most about all of this is that I have always felt that ridng a motorcycle made you part of a brotherhood. It was agreed that the individuals who rode bikes all had a common interest and a common goal and we were interested in the the well being of others bikers (all types) and their safety. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride, as long as you do it responsibly and with respect for other riders and drivers. All an incident like this does is to prove that we can "***** in the wind" while riding bikes and you know what happens then. Riding a motorcycle meant that you were an "individual" but it also made you part of a bigger picture and groups like these need to see that they are perpetuating the myths and stereotypes that have haunted us for years. If you don't want people to treat you differently, then don't allow these things to take place. If you want to be treated a repsonsible "individual" who is worthy of respect, then you, in turn, need to give that respect to others. I am not going to blame any particular group or believe what the media tells me but I will say that the groups involved in this or any incident should be responsible enough to maintain order and discipline within their ranks. I believe this is part of the idea of an organized "gang" or club. No disrespect inteneded.
CBRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2002, 03:27 AM   #52
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Well, my sportbiking buddies and I aren't shooting people.....

Right, your "sportbiker buddies" kill yourselves and others in much more interesting ways. Like the guy I saw go down on Rt. 83 a last month doing wheelies between traffic lanes at rush hour. Bounced off a few cars before his trip the hospital. Or your "sportbiker buddies" that were racing on Arlington Hts road last year and broadsided a car and killed a 16 year old girl by breaking her neck. Wonderful PR there eh? Cops estimated the impact at over 100mph. I got so see that one up close and personal. Then there was your "sportbiker buddy" that got clocked at over 160 on Lake Shore Drive. Another hero of yours I'm sure. After 20+ years of Fire Dept. duty, scraping up the remains of your "sportbiker buddies" that are so innocent and harmless, and the damage they cause every day, I wonder what world you really live in? So tell me how am I to tell the good sportbikers from the one that isn't going to smash into me or my vehicle doing something totally moronic?
Old 03-06-2002, 03:38 AM   #53
blackburd
Founding Member

There are plenty of people driving Harleys, cars and (gasp) BMW's that regularly speed, do stupid stunts, crash and hurt innocent people. Fact is, there are idiots everywhere. Deal with it. Don't put everyone into groups.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:15 AM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You got it. But when some people put down a group because a "few" happened to step over the line, while singing the praises of themselves and their "sportbike buddies", I really want to vomit. Since we can agree that stupidity isn't limited to a motorcycle brand or type of person, why the branding of Harley riders for this incedent?
Old 03-06-2002, 04:25 AM   #55
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The only comparison I can make here is how Honda and the others tout their "race wins" to sell their bikes. What does winning a race have to do with riding an extremely uncomfortable, stupidly overpowered, motorcycle while dressed up like a Power Ranger, have to do with street riding? I really like watching these racing wannabes wiping themselves out thinking they are Nicky Hayden. Whew, kind of went on a loop there.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:47 AM   #56
seruzawa
The Toad

Here in Utah there used to be a big biker bash every year out by Duschene, next to the Ute reservation. There would be bands and bikers, etc., you know the drill. There never was one single incident of trouble that I can recall. The SLC news stations interviewed the local residents and discovered that they were happy with the event since the bikers were nice and tipped the waitresses well (unlike the rude drunkard cowboys at the rodeo) and spent lots of dough in the local stores. The local newspeople dealt with this problem (no violence ) by showing the locals being interviewed, but broadcasting voiceovers that claimed the locals were worried and scared of the bikers while they were actually saying how much they liked the event. The media was purposefully lying to create a controversy.

Yet, never once has the media done an expose' about the serious problems that often accompany the rodeos. Ask any waitress who has dealt with both crowds. They will want to vacation during the rodeo and want to work when the bikers are in town. At least that's what a couple of waitressers have told me.

Never forget this about the media. They will lie and spew half-truths to create fear and controversy. If none exists they will create it. And they do this against groups that they figure are easy targets. Their pandering to the public is disgusting.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:49 AM   #57
Le_Racer
Founding Member

Default Hells Angels vs Motorcyclist image

Salut!

I'm from Quebec and I can tell you that here we hear often enough of gang war, it's in the paper everyday, be it about some actions they did, big cop operation against them or court appearance of gangs members that monopolise special court house, etc.

And when I say war, it means war: drive by shootings, bombs, arson, you name it.

Almost all the population here knows that the criminal gang bikers, HA or Bandidos, are criminals first, that they just happens to ride, it's even pretty well known here that the HA members have to take at least one ride a year to comply with their own rules.

That rules came a few years ago because the top members didn't even borther to take their Harleys out.

I think that you are in a different situation in the US, that kind of article will affect you more in the general, ignorant public.

Le_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 05:05 AM   #58
dnakase
Founding Member

Default Re: Hells Angels vs Motorcyclist image

I recall an pathologist telling me that the Hells Angeles in London were referd to as "Walking Hells Angeles" since they could little afford the main icon of their club, a motorcycle. Any motorcycle, forget an up market bike like the Harley.

Hey, aren't we taking casualties over in Afganistan as an indirect result of our quaint isolationism? And didn't a study just released site the lack of foreign language speakers as a prime concern withing government agencies trying to combat terrorisim, collect intellegence or deal with international criminal activity?

Maybe time to forget about bad boy bikers and engage the rest of the world, eh?
dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 05:07 AM   #59
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Biker gangs?

I wasn't referring to the Harley Owners Group, I was merely using the term HOG to denote a Harley rider.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 05:08 AM   #60
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default That's right,

Ice-----man, I am dangerous.....
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote