Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-05-2002, 11:00 AM   #21
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default If you will kindly READ IT AGAIN

I believe I qualified the remark with the word "some". I did not make a blanket statement about all Harley riders. My statement still stands true. Harley riders are quick to defend every other Harley rider as a selfless good samaritan, when this article proves that that notion is false.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2002, 11:06 AM   #22
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Common Threads

I must admit that as a sportbiker, I do get negative attention from cops, but that seems to be due to the fact that they have a problem with breaking the speed limit. Futhermore, I don't like to cultivate this impression. As far as cops (and everyone else) is concerned, I would like them to believe that I am a textbook model motorcyclist.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:12 AM   #23
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Media hype or a growing concern?

I was wondering what was going on yesterday. Usually, some cager only makes an attempt on my life about once a week. Yesterday, just on the way to work, three cagers tried to neglegently kill me. I ride a bright yellow Triumph and wear a nylon oversuit. I am not hard to see, and I am hardly threatening, for a rider. Still, I wonder if my visibility, or lack thereof, or my inclusion in the human race is affected by this kind of story.

When members of a group of people, any identifiable group of people, misbehave, the entire group often gets tarred by the general public. They don't see me as a commuter on a Triumph sportbike, they see "dangerous biker gang member." It is what they remember because it is what they are reminded of. Do you remember the last 500 cars that didn't run you off the road? Of course not. You remember the wanker in a black Jetta with fancy sunglasses and a preppy haircut that crawled up your tailpipe and then cut you off.

When I see an article like this, I get angry at the press for making a big deal out of the biker aspect of a gang battle. I also think that we, as riders, are still a very small population, and we need to work diligently to project a positive image. Whether we like it or not, we all represent each other in the minds of the general public.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:12 AM   #24
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Call me crazy.....

But as much as I hear about the general vehicular public's distrust and dislike of motorcyclists, I have never recieved this kind of reaction (I ride an R1.) I do, however, see their unease at the sight of several loud, tatooed, leather-wearing Harley guys, though they might be just as nice as everyone else.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:34 AM   #25
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: If you will kindly READ IT AGAIN

That's why I said "If that was not the intention of your post, I apologize for mischaracterizing." Nonetheless, you continue with blanket statements like "Harley riders are quick to defend every other Harley rider..." which is simply not the case. Many, if not most, Harley riders are embarrased by this kind of thing and want to see it stopped.

As to your earlier comment on the fact that you don't see this kind of thing from riders of other brands, that is not entirely true. While rare from BMW riders -- which should be expected to the incredibly small number of sales compared to Harley Davidson in this country -- there are in fact motorcycle gangs that ride other brands, usually sport bikes. I freely admit that I cannot find the story, but there have been problems with groups in this and surrounding city with sport bike "gangs" that cruise the local strips and cause problems. Certainly a different kind of gang, but causing problems nonetheless.

This leads me to reiterate points I have made several times before. Idiots come on all brands. Most of the non-idiots that ride those brands are embarrased by them.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:32 PM   #26
macmanjim
Founding Member

Default Re: Biker gangs?

I live in NY and I can tell you that these guys aren't motorcyclists, just criminal thugs that happen to ride a harley now and then. They are more interested in selling drugs, pimping, or robbing people than riding bikes.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:45 PM   #27
fizzchem
Founding Member

Ah, yes, the ever friendly Harley rider. Quick with a wave and a smile. The antithesis of the Guzzi rider, as those chaps forever have a chip on their shoulder, and only consider other Guzzi riders "bikers'. When brunching at various locales, I've been lucky enough to interact with said Guzzi riders, aloof, ill-equipped and tempered, occasionally condescending to engage me in dialogue about my ride that costs 1/2 the price yet outperforms every Guzzi on the showroom floor including their latest and greatest model, which incorporates features that have been found on modern bikes for decades.

Speaking of the rider gangs who ride sportbikes, where are Monty Python's "Hell's Grandmas"? Aren't they getting into rumbles lately?

The problem with some of these brand riders is that others who ride don't appear to be embarrassed by the actions; they appear to make every effort to emulate them in dress and demeanor.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:57 PM   #28
erik_squires
Founding Member

Default Re: Media hype or a growing concern?

This article is aparently innacurate on it's base facts. The tattoo artist was in fact charged with second degreee murder, reference this from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/26/nyregion/26BIKE.html
erik_squires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 02:06 PM   #29
arizonagerg
Founding Member

There you go again. "Harley riders are quick to defend every other Harley rider as a selfless good samaritan"

I am a Harley rider and I dont instantly defend every other Harley rider. I have several other friends who ride Harleys, and they dont do it either. Yes, there are SOME stupid, close-minded people (riders of any make) that do that. Apparently you are one of them . I resent your making blanket statements about a group of riders.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #30
Youngbulll
Founding Member

Default It's rare, but does happen?

Criminal bikers are a small percentage of motorcyclists, but they do exist. And don't count them out as motorcyclists, they love their bikes every bit as much as we do. In fact maybe even more, the local HA here has been known to beat someone within inches of their lives for messing with a members bike. A large percentage of them work in or own some kind of m/c related business and they eat, breath and sleep bikes just like me. They just happen to be career criminals to boot. As usual, the mass media will take ALL motorcyclists back a step with this one. What a shame, I was just starting to enjoy being able to ride around with out being harrased. Later,

Tex

Youngbulll is offline   Reply With Quote